Horizon: An American Saga - New Kevin Costner western!

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
This movie is good but about an hour too long.
Definitely late to the genre mix where Yellowstone hit like wildfire this is more flash in the pan.

Costner is so good but man he goes off the reservation and just does too much.
This felt like Dances with Wolves.

Either make a single 2-hour movie or create a TV series with episodes for the love of all that holy.
I literally had to leave mid-movie to go to the restroom after drinking only a single beer.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Definitely late to the genre mix where Yellowstone hit like wildfire this is more flash in the pan.

Either make a single 2-hour movie or create a TV series with episodes for the love of all that holy.
I literally had to leave mid-movie to go to the restroom after drinking only a single beer.
might have been looking to redo Dances with Wolves; but just did not have the story

rags747

Reaction score

Costner does not even show up until 1hr in. If you cut off the last hour my rating would probably go to 0/10. Now, I can see that part 2 may be better as the last hour of part 1 seemed to pick up the pace a lot but parts 3 and 4 I think will no longer happen based on what I saw yesterday.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Costner does not even show up until 1hr in. If you cut off the last hour my rating would probably go to 0/10. Now, I can see that part 2 may be better as the last hour of part 1 seemed to pick up the pace a lot but parts 3 and 4 I think will no longer happen based on what I saw yesterday.
Yeah, the box office is pretty bad so the last parts are almost certainly not going to happen
Unless Costner picks up the whole tab himself

rags747

Reaction score
Yeah, the box office is pretty bad so the last parts are almost certainly not going to happen
Unless Costner picks up the whole tab himself
Supposedly he is already into it to the tune of $38m, not sure if that includes part 2 as well.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
Alot of people bashed his Wyatt Warp movie. I liked it way better than Tombstone and for me it's right up there with Dancing with wolves. So if this movie is anything like it, I will like it. Can't wait to see it. I'm not expecting another Yellowstone. Open Range was awesome too and it had a very slow pace.

Will wait until the streamers have it though.

Costner seems to have a pattern of success - followed by ego and hubris - followed by huge failure - followed by a career revival.

I count this as the third time it’s happened.
What was the second time?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Alot of people bashed his Wyatt Warp movie. I liked it way better than Tombstone and for me it's right up there with Dancing with wolves. So if this movie is anything like it, I will like it. Can't wait to see it. I'm not expecting another Yellowstone. Open Range was awesome too and it had a very slow pace.

Will wait until the streamers have it though.

What was the second time?
Here’s an excellent summary of what I’m talking about:

https://m.the-numbers.com/person/950401-Kevin-Costner

gtb1943

Reaction score
Here’s an excellent summary of what I’m talking about:

https://m.the-numbers.com/person/950401-Kevin-Costner
most in hollywood go up and down; cannot think of anyone who never made a few stinkers.

I thought Wyatt Earp was good but Tombstone was better; Open Range I frankly think was the best western he has ever done
I notice he does best when he has excellent support. But then probably that is the same with pretty much everyone
Field of Dreams is my personal favorite; For Love of the Game I think was also very good.
HE has done other things well but Baseball and Westerns are certainly his best areas

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
most in hollywood go up and down; cannot think of anyone who never made a few stinkers.
“Stinkers”? Yes. But Costner has had monumental bombs. Wyatt Earp and Waterworld among the biggest.

When people lose that kind of money funding an actor’s projects, it’s often impossible to come back from. To his credit, Costner has rebounded several times.

I thought Wyatt Earp was good but Tombstone was better; Open Range I frankly think was the best western he has ever done
I notice he does best when he has excellent support. But then probably that is the same with pretty much everyone
Field of Dreams is my personal favorite; For Love of the Game I think was also very good.
HE has done other things well but Baseball and Westerns are certainly his best areas
I own a ton of his films, and many that you mentioned are among my favorites.

I’d add in Revenge, JFK, and The Untouchables as well.

An amazing body of work.

I just wish he’d keep his ego better in check. It seems to me to be his ongoing struggle.

gtb1943

Reaction score
“Stinkers”? Yes. But Costner has had monumental bombs. Wyatt Earp and Waterworld among the biggest.

When people lose that kind of money funding an actor’s projects, it’s often impossible to come back from. To his credit, Costner has rebounded several times.

I own a ton of his films, and many that you mentioned are among my favorites.

I’d add in Revenge, JFK, and The Untouchables as well.

An amazing body of work.

I just wish he’d keep his ego better in check. It seems to me to be his ongoing struggle.
Well bluntly speaking who in Hollwyood has not had big stinkers. You seem to think Costner is the only one.
Show me any of the top actors who have not had serious Box office Bombs.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I'm not suggesting cut last hour. just squeeze the 3 hours into 2 hours.
Or as I note: make it a series with like 8-10 episodes rather than a trilogy or more of 3-hour movies.
Fans of this type of series are likely to be like me, older. 40+.
Sitting for 3 hours in a theatre isn't the best fit for that crowd.
Yellowstone was perfect for that crew.

To people that grew up on gunsmoke and john wayne movies this feels very arthouse.
To younger crowds they just lack the attention span in general.
I fully expect this to flop even though it could be saved once it releases to streaming.
I'll not watch parts 2-4 in a theater, but I would via streaming.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Well bluntly speaking who in Hollwyood has not had big stinkers. You seem to think Costner is the only one.
Show me any of the top actors who have not had serious Box office Bombs.
I think what he is suggesting is Costner is tied to some of the BIGGEST BOMBS in movie history.
As well as some of the very biggest hits.
It is quite strange.

WaterWorld has strolled along nicely over time after an atrocious loss early and they are supposedly considering a remake. But one that is less dreary and has some soul to it.
Postman was just insanely bad.

My fave Costner film might be Tin Cup. I actually like him best when he plays a more relatable character in relatable circumstance versus dystopian hero type.
He is an everyman not a leading man IMHO.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think what he is suggesting is Costner is tied to some of the BIGGEST BOMBS in movie history.
As well as some of the very biggest hits.
It is quite strange.

WaterWorld has strolled along nicely over time after an atrocious loss early and they are supposedly considering a remake. But one that is less dreary and has some soul to it.
Postman was just insanely bad.

My fave Costner film might be Tin Cup. I actually like him best when he plays a more relatable character in relatable circumstance versus dystopian hero type.
He is an everyman not a leading man IMHO.
Yes. My opinion was in regard to the huge roller coaster that is Costner’s career. From extreme highs to extreme lows. The numbers article I sighted shows the statistical support for my feelings.

I give him credit for picking himself up and reaching new highs again. Few recover from those huge bombs. They’re typically career killers.

gtb1943

Reaction score
One thing I laugh at is trying to use statistics to measure something that has so many variables.
The box office fate of a movie quiet often contrasts with its quality. A lot of I think are not all that make lots of money; and some I love did not
And movies that supposedly stank when they came out become cult classics years down the road. Highlander was one of them.
So trying to use numbers frankly is a joke to judge any movie. sure as regards dollars and cents it might be; but no other way.
Not to mention that WHEN a movie comes out; and what competition it has, has a huge effect on its box office fate.
Too many variable to take that article with anything but a huge grain of salt

gtb1943

Reaction score
And you might want to take a look at Harrison Fords box office bombs over the years. Take away being part of two massive franchises in Indiana Jones and Star Wars, he has had a number of bad bombs.
So trying to make Keven Costner sound unique is frankly not credible

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One thing I laugh at is trying to use statistics to measure something that has so many variables.
The box office fate of a movie quiet often contrasts with its quality. A lot of I think are not all that make lots of money; and some I love did not
And movies that supposedly stank when they came out become cult classics years down the road. Highlander was one of them.
So trying to use numbers frankly is a joke to judge any movie. sure as regards dollars and cents it might be; but no other way.
Not to mention that WHEN a movie comes out; and what competition it has, has a huge effect on its box office fate.
I’m sorry if you were presented with data that you couldn’t handle.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Couple of classic lines / scenes from movies that come to mind when you start to become agitated and post the way you do at times...