'Horns in Trouble

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
I don't think Strong needs us, or really anybody, to make excuses for him. He knows what's up and he knows he has to win. Having said that, excuses or not, he's not getting fired in year 1 if he doesn't go 9-2. That's the reality IMO and if by some chance (which I do not expect to be the case BTW) if he were to get fired for not winning in his 1st year, then that would say more about why Texas is where it is. Texas isn't going to do that IMO. It didn't take a year to get in this mess. I don't think it's realistic to expect Texas to remove themselves from it in a single season either.

That would be beyond stupid to fire the guy after one year. No way.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't think Strong needs us, or really anybody, to make excuses for him. He knows what's up and he knows he has to win. Having said that, excuses or not, he's not getting fired in year 1 if he doesn't go 9-2. That's the reality IMO and if by some chance (which I do not expect to be the case BTW) if he were to get fired for not winning in his 1st year, then that would say more about why Texas is where it is. Texas isn't going to do that IMO. It didn't take a year to get in this mess. I don't think it's realistic to expect Texas to remove themselves from it in a single season either.

I did not say he had to go 9-2 but I do think he has to win. I think less than 6 and he will be on the hot seat.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think you're wrong about the appeal of Baylor. New stadium & a great coaching staff . I think a ton of kids want to go there now. That program is on a huge upswing.

Sure it helps however Baylor ranking for 2014 recruiting class was ranked 35th and Texas ranked 20th despite having a change in coaching staff. Prior years for Baylor were ranked even lower. Not trying to knock Baylor and winning does help but teams like Texas, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma recruiting from the same pool over players across the state of Texas are still preferable teams for young recruits

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
Sure it helps however Baylor ranking for 2014 recruiting class was ranked 35th and Texas ranked 20th despite having a change in coaching staff. Prior years for Baylor were ranked even lower. Not trying to knock Baylor and winning does help but teams like Texas, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma recruiting from the same pool over players across the state of Texas are still preferable teams for young recruits

I'm not into stats of any kind but Baylor has built & is building off of something so if it's lesser recruits than ok.

And I don't even like Baylor but I completely think kids are now wanting to go there over many other schools because of the direction that program is going. Up!

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I did not say he had to go 9-2 but I do think he has to win. I think less than 6 and he will be on the hot seat.

6 is not technically winning. L wins is a .500 season. That's not winning or losing. That's right in the middle but doesn't matter. This is one of those things we disagree on. I don't think he has to win in his first year to keep his job. I think the Defense has to play better, I think the team needs to stop seeing all kinds of problems legally with players and staff, etc. I think the penalties need to get better and I think the kids just need to show general development. That should allow him to keep his job this year. I think improvements need to happen year to year but I don't think he has to post a winning season in his first year to keep his job. Would certainly help thou.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm not into stats of any kind but Baylor has built & is building off of something so if it's lesser recruits than ok.

And I don't even like Baylor but I completely think kids are now wanting to go there over many other schools because of the direction that program is going. Up!

I like Baylor as well but it is still harder for them than it is for programs like UT and OU, who have a long tradition. This does not mean that Baylor can't get good players to come in and even develop players who may not rate as high.

Aikbach

Reaction score
But Mack Brown taught the world the limits of high ranking recruits, and the aggies have been claiming high recruitment classes since Dennis Franchione to little effect until recent.

Art Briles has been turning two star wideouts into Terrance Williams, and three stars into Kendall Wright, imagine what he'll do with 5 star wideouts like KD Cannon.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
But Mack Brown taught the world the limits of high ranking recruits, and the aggies have been claiming high recruitment classes since Dennis Franchione to little effect until recent.

Art Briles has been turning two star wideouts into Terrance Williams, and three stars into Kendall Wright, imagine what he'll do with 5 star wideouts like KD Cannon.

Briles is a good HC, he took a U of H program and did very well, I think part of it is the style of offense. Baylor is not getting the kids to go out and play hardnosed smash mouth like an Alabama. I think much like Nevada, TCU they bring in a style of offense to play with the bigger teams with lesser athletes. Teams like UT, OU, Florida, FSU, Ohio State and others do not have big issues attracting kids to come to their programs

Aikbach

Reaction score
Briles is a good HC, he took a U of H program and did very well, I think part of it is the style of offense. Baylor is not getting the kids to go out and play hardnosed smash mouth like an Alabama. I think much like Nevada, TCU they bring in a style of offense to play with the bigger teams with lesser athletes. Teams like UT, OU, Florida, FSU, Ohio State and others do not have big issues attracting kids to come to their programs
Phil Bennett's defense is pretty physical, SMU had 67 yards total offense this past sunday, and Baylor did lead the Big 12 in rushing last year, which means they are winning in the trenches.

Bama hates the spread, or rather Saban does, because he looks like a fool against it without fail. WVU gave his supposedly number 2 team all they could handle.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
past few years? Texas ranked 2nd in 2012 and 3rd in 2011 in terms of getting blue chip recruits only trailing Bama and Florida State.

A&M has beaten UT in recruiting in the the last 2 classes, and is way ahead for 2015.
OU has closed the gap, and Baylor is rapidly moving up.

I get that failure to develop talent is what lead to Texas' downfall, but UT doesn't own this state anymore.

Sumlin, Briles, and Kingsberry are better recruiters than Mack was because they're younger and can relate.

Stoopes has the OU legacy.

The SEC and now the Pac12 have that flash.

The thing that I hope will separate Strong over time is consistency. He should become dominant on the defensive side, and should create a reliable level of in-game performance due to the program's discipline. Texas should get back to the look of a perpetual 10-win team; then that will improve recruiting.

The lack of NFL draftees this year was huge, but I think the new level of commitment is palpable. Recruits should come to believe that Charlie's system can better prepare them for a shot at the NFL.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Phil Bennett's defense is pretty physical, SMU had 67 yards total offense this past sunday, and Baylor did lead the Big 12 in rushing last year, which means they are winning in the trenches.

Bama hates the spread, or rather Saban does, because he looks like a fool against it without fail. WVU gave his supposedly number 2 team all they could handle.

Baylor does a good job of rushing mainly because defense is spread out because of the passing threat same thing happened at UH but again much of this is taking kids will less talent and putting them in system to counter the bigger and stronger teams out there. Baylor is not going to line up nose to nose with big time programs, Briles is smart enough to rely on his system to help even the playing field. Bama may hate it but they still manage to beat it which is why that have stayed on or near the top.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
A&M has beaten UT in recruiting in the the last 2 classes, and is way ahead for 2015.
OU has closed the gap, and Baylor is rapidly moving up.

I get that failure to develop talent is what lead to Texas' downfall, but UT doesn't own this state anymore.

Sumlin, Briles, and Kingsberry are better recruiters than Mack was because they're younger and can relate.

Stoopes has the OU legacy.

The SEC and now the Pac12 have that flash.

The thing that I hope will separate Strong over time is consistency. He should become dominant on the defensive side, and should create a reliable level of in-game performance due to the program's discipline. Texas should get back to the look of a perpetual 10-win team; then that will improve recruiting.

The lack of NFL draftees this year was huge, but I think the new level of commitment is palpable. Recruits should come to believe that Charlie's system can better prepare them for a shot at the NFL.

Yes Texas dropped in 2014 and thus far in 2015 because they have made a big change within the program and that is going to scare some kids off. However prior to that Texas stayed towards the top in recruiting.

As for the age thing BS Mack age has no bearing on it Briles recruiting classes have not been rated that high to begin with, this past year no 5 stars and only 2 players graded out as 4 stars.

heck 2012 UT class ranked 2nd best recruiting class behind only Bama

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score

Roll Tide! We'll do great against the weak sisters but a down year for my Tide. I don't even think threy will make that playoff bracket this year. Top 4 or whatever it is. I love college football though. My favorite.

Aikbach

Reaction score
Baylor does a good job of rushing mainly because defense is spread out because of the passing threat same thing happened at UH but again much of this is taking kids will less talent and putting them in system to counter the bigger and stronger teams out there. Baylor is not going to line up nose to nose with big time programs, Briles is smart enough to rely on his system to help even the playing field. Bama may hate it but they still manage to beat it which is why that have stayed on or near the top.
Seems that if you're a top ten team, a defending P5 conference champ, one presently with the number two recruiting class in 2016, equipped with a Heisman candidate and have had a recent Heisman winner, you are a big time program.

Zordon

Reaction score
Thanks Mack! Stellar Oline and QBs you left Charlie!

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
Seems that if you're a top ten team, a defending P5 conference champ, one presently with the number two recruiting class in 2016, equipped with a Heisman candidate and have had a recent Heisman winner, you are a big time program.

Yea maybe! :p

jimmy40

Reaction score
Charlie Strong put 3 players in the first round of the draft from Louisville, I'm thinking he'll do well at Texas.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
They do have a lot of talent at RB but they are not necessarily Pistol Backs. I think that Texas might be better off going to a play action style offense JT. That would limit the reads for the QB and allow those backs to do a lot of work. I know Swoops suites a Mouse Davis style offense better from the standpoint of skill set and experience but long term, might be better to use play action to kind of take it out of the hands of Texas QBs to some extent. Would lean on the running game heavily and dumb down the passing game for the QB too.

That might be better for Texas at this point.

For play action to work you have actually be able to pass.
When you can't it looks a lot like what Bama does... which is barely manageable with 5 star recruits at every position.

The Pistol opens up lanes and both Brown and Grey ran it in high school for tons of yards and touchdowns. And it makes the QBs running threats with strong arms which is what they are.
Both guys are built like Keapernick who basically made the pistol main stream.

Play action requires savvy QBs with good timing and discipline, not 7on 7 type spread offense kids.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
The new Center's Mom has an office right beside me so maybe I am biased but the kid was a beast out of Celina and will be fine in time.

Strong will win more games then people think and this Ash thing isn't all bad.

I think they would have liked Ash to bridge them to Heard but now may have to give Swoopes snaps all year.
What I do know is the team will play harder and be more fundamentally sound then it was under Mack the past 5 years.

UT should move to a pistol type offense with huge emphasis on running the ball this year. Heard ran that in high school and UT has the best stable of backs in the Big 12.

I think this way too. I think Strong's style will be the "rally the troops" kind, that convinces his players to draw closer and fight through adversity rather than wilt from it.

With that said, having the next 2 games being against who they are, is a tough row to hoe given the circumstances.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
That's really good to hear regarding the new center. But the rest of the OL is inexperienced as well, and they're actually thin at RB after the loss of Bergeron and Overstreet.

So, you have inexperience and subpar accuracy at QB behind a young OL, without a full stable of RB's and with unproven receivers (other than Shipley).

I'm hoping for the best, but that D better be dayum good.

Brown and Grey both have NFL ability. The Horns aren't shallow there.
I am not a Horns fan but those 2 RBs were the best two RB I saw in the last 5 years of Texas high school football.

I badly wanted Grey to leave Aledo and go to Tech where his Dad played.
That kid can flat play.

The team needed some toughness and Strong will bring that out of those guys.

I fear UT more than Baylor right now as a Tech fan. Because Texas has the money and resources to back a dynasty when they win.
Baylor is built on a single thread that is an aging Art Briles.