'Horns in Trouble

jimmy40

Reaction score
why can't Steve Edmond do something to get suspended?

jimmy40

Reaction score
I know swoopes is inexperienced, but they need to call for some longer pass plays already.

1 read, throw the ball, not good for long pass plays, it would help if Swoopes wasn't as slow as my old ***.

Ren

Reaction score
D looked good for a half then they completely fell apart in the 3rd

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
no big time program gets embarrassed as much as Texas, especially at home......when I say embarrassed, I mean just beat down, especially on the scoreboard.

StylisticS

Reaction score
It is remarkable how bad Mack left this program. The fact that case was the qb for a program like Texas says a lot. Not to mention the lack of developing these players speaks to his ineptitude. That said, Strong needs to let go of Shawn Watson. His style of offense will not work in the Big 12 and will not attract Texas high school players that play in the spread. If he doesn't, Texas may have a new coach in 2017.

joseephuss

Reaction score
It is remarkable how bad Mack left this program. The fact that case was the qb for a program like Texas says a lot. Not to mention the lack of developing these players speaks to his ineptitude. That said, Strong needs to let go of Shawn Watson. His style of offense will not work in the Big 12 and will not attract Texas high school players that play in the spread. If he doesn't, Texas may have a new coach in 2017.

I think they are trying to run an offense based on the players they currently have on the roster.

StylisticS

Reaction score
I think they are trying to run an offense based on the players they currently have on the roster.

Most Texas high school players are spread system players, right? I mean I see nothing exciting with this offense at all. Nothing like what you see with Baylor, A&M, OU, OSU, or even Tech. Now granted, Texas needs to hang on to the ball. That was disgusting how many times they fumbled. But right now, this offense is a problem.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Most Texas high school players are spread system players, right? I mean I see nothing exciting with this offense at all. Nothing like what you see with Baylor, A&M, OU, OSU, or even Tech. Now granted, Texas needs to hang on to the ball. That was disgusting how many times they fumbled. But right now, this offense is a problem.

I agree it is a problem, but they can only do so much in the first season. The guys Texas had been recruiting and building towards were not spread system guys. That is what they have to deal with now. See if Strong can recruit different guys and build an offense. Frankly even if they were running a spread offense or exciting offense this year they still wouldn't look good. The talent just isn't there. They have picked the wrong players and developed the players they did choose poorly.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
As expected, Texas couldn't run behind their depleted OL, and Swoopes wasn't dual-threat. I expected the D to be better, though; was porous enough to let BYU control the game. I guess it was only half as bad as last year, but still an embarrassment.

No word yet on the potential return of the suspended O-linemen.

Makes you wonder who they're going to beat this year.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
I remember reading not long ago an article on financial worth of various college athletic programs & I believe UT was at or near the top. It's hard to believe the team, with all those resources, is as bad as it is.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
I remember reading not long ago an article on financial worth of various college athletic programs & I believe UT was at or near the top. It's hard to believe the team, with all those resources, is as bad as it is.

Yeah, 'Horns are #1 in that category.
And their recent recruiting classes were ranked high. The blame clearly goes to the coaches and their system.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
Yeah, 'Horns are #1 in that category.
And their recent recruiting classes were ranked high. The blame clearly goes to the coaches and their system.

Yep. Kind of parallels the Cowboys. Definitely going to be a long season for them.
Second year in a row BYU rolls right over them. Embarrassing.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Yep. Kind of parallels the Cowboys. Definitely going to be a long season for them.
Second year in a row BYU rolls right over them. Embarrassing.

You know, it's a lot like the 'Boys, with possible system problems and a patchwork line (DL). I hope they don't get exposed against SF, but I wouldn't be surprised. And if one of our key defensive leaders that we're needing to rely on gets injured - like Melton or McClain (both unproven), then we could be screwed.

The Ash and Espinoza injuries for UT are huge.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
You know, it's a lot like the 'Boys, with possible system problems and a patchwork line (DL). I hope they don't get exposed against SF, but I wouldn't be surprised. And if one of our key defensive leaders that we're needing to rely on gets injured - like Melton or McClain (both unproven), then we could be screwed.

The Ash and Espinoza injuries for UT are huge.

I try to watch as much college ball as I can but hasn't Ash been a huge disappointment? Always hurt?

I looked at the UT box score last night & saw BYU had scored 28 points in one quarter. That is just awful.

And they had 93K attendance. That's an embarrassing home performance.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
I don't mind the loss, I just want to have hope. This offense gives me little to no hope. Swoopes did some good things, but he still has a lot of growing to do. The OL sucks, they cannot run block to save their lives. The defense played hard and did a great job for 3 quarters, but they completely went to crap in the 3rd. I cannot stand the play calling. This new guy has me longing for, dare I say, Greg Davis (I just threw up in my mouth). That kicker absolutely sucks.

But with all of this said, with better ball security, I believe the game is a different animal.

So now onto UCLA at Jerry World. I want the defense to play for 4 quarters. I want ball security. I want a kicker who can make a FG. I want to see at least 5 passes beyond 30 yds., to keep the defense honest. We will still most likely lose, but at least we will not get embarrassed.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I think it is difficult to question play calling when the offensive line can't block and the QB is very good. That really limits what an offense can do. Sometimes it is just a matter of the linemen winning their individual battles. They don't do that very well and haven't for several seasons.

Aikbach

Reaction score
UCLA is highly overrated and it will be a de facto home game for UT, so I wouldn't be surprised to see UT win the day and redeem some morale going into Big 12 play.