Houston Texans

jimmy40

Reaction score
GTaylor said:
I'm a Maverick fan - and you're incorrect. We Maverick fans care right now because it's a playoff matchup, before this match-up it was just like any other Dallas-Houston matchup. Our rivals are San Antonio, L.A. Lakers and the Sacramento Kings, Houston is just another team.

Face it - Houston cares more about the Cowboys/Texans matchup than Dallas, Houston cares a heck of a lot more about the Rockets/Mavericks matchup than Dallas, and the SilverBoot is a big deal in Houston (Esp. with McLane Jr), but in Dallas if you were to ask a Ranger fan about the silver boot they would think you were referring to a Monopoly piece.

BTW - Ranger fans can care less about Houston as well. Just so you know our rivals are Oakland, Seattle and the Yanks
Try winning a championship before talking about who you're rivals are in basketball. I'm a Cowboys and Rangers fan but when it comes to basketball I'm a Rockets fan. Houston/San Antonio, Hakeem/David Robinson. That's the rivalry in Texas, there's history there. Nice try though.

jimmy40

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
Much different circumstances. Dallas could not even draft college players in their first year of existence and then had their pick of rejects of other teams. Houston(and any other recent expansion team) was given additional draft picks and was able to get good players from other teams because of the salary cap. The NFL doesn't want expansion teams to struggle for years like the Cowboys and Vikings did.

The Texans picked up some good players for this year. That includes Buchanon. I do think they gave up just a little too much for him, but not by much. They however did not address their biggest weakness, the offensive line. They won't make the playoffs if they struggle again to protect Carr and open holes for Davis. They haven't closed the gap on Indy and Jacksonville will be better even though they wasted their pick on Matt Jones.
Look out for Vernand Morency, he was my sleeper pick in the draft.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jimmy40 said:
Try winning a championship before talking about who you're rivals are in basketball. I'm a Cowboys and Rangers fan but when it comes to basketball I'm a Rockets fan. Houston/San Antonio, Hakeem/David Robinson. That's the rivalry in Texas, there's history there. Nice try though.
Yeah I agree, there's no real rivalry between the Mavs/Rockets. More S.A/Houston than anything else. Mavs were the doormats of the NBA for a long time and have only been successful since Don Nelson got there and Cuban bought the franchise. So it's hard to build a rivalry, when you were almost guaranteed a win everytime you played them for such a long time.

Also, there's no real Rangers/Astos rivalry. Astros rivals are all in the NL. Primarily the NL Central and the NL East.

jimmy40

Reaction score
TLW47 said:
Laugh all you want. I've lived in both cities and to Houston it's a big hate thing. To Dallas it's just another game. People in Dallas have alot more hate for the Eagles and Skins.

Or better yet go to any Houston Texans website and see if they don't have some thread on there about hating the Cowboys.

There is a large contingent on Cowboy fans in Houston that are calling their radio shows and it pisses off the Houston fans. I went to plenty of Oiler/Cowboys preseason games in Houston and there were tons of Cowboys fans there. It's a BIG deal in Houston when they play the Cowboys. It's not that big of a deal to Dallas. But believe whatever you want. We all have our perceptions of things anyway.
Of course it's a big deal to play the Cowboys for Houston just like it is for any other team. It is the Cowboys, and sure you'll see alot of Cowboys fans at a Texans game just like you'll see alot of Green Bay fans at Texas Stadium, they're popular teams. I remember all the whining and crying about losing to the Texans so don't try to tell me it didn't mean a little bit extra.

TLW47

Reaction score
Like I said believe what you want. It's your perception; it's not mine though.

GTaylor

Gif Dude
Reaction score
jimmy40 said:

Nice try for what? Trying to say we can care less about the Rockets?? Sorry to burst your bubble but it's true, championships or not. Ask SA what they think about the Mavs, bet they'll disagree with your view on whether or not it's a rivalry.

And Robinson/Hakeem - how long ago was this? Spurs and Mavs have tangled twice in the past 5 playoff seasons and each time the battle was heated, with Howard and his unintentional hits in the first series to SA being a heated Kerr away from a crutical game 7 in Dallas with the Mavs having all the motivation. Houston could get something going if they meet up with S.A, will be fun to watch if they each move on.

BTW - Tell Houston fan that they have no right to call us a rival in football/baseball because they have no championships, and let me know how well that goes...

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
jimmy40 said:
What the hell are you talking about?

The Houston Oilers, you know, that team with the God-awful uniforms that played on the hardest field in history for over over 3 decades.... :rolleyes:

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
jimmy40 said:
Of course it's a big deal to play the Cowboys for Houston just like it is for any other team. It is the Cowboys, and sure you'll see alot of Cowboys fans at a Texans game just like you'll see alot of Green Bay fans at Texas Stadium, they're popular teams. I remember all the whining and crying about losing to the Texans so don't try to tell me it didn't mean a little bit extra.

Honestly Jimmy... I lived in Dallas for almost eight years in my 20's... there is absolutely NO perception in the DFW area that the Houston teams are any rival to the respective Dallas teams...

The people in Dallas could care less about their neighbors down I-45... really...

On the other hand... I lived in Houston too... believe me... the rivalry is all in the minds of Houstonians...

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Houston as a town sucks

Houston as a team sucks harder, they couldnt even keep their team in Houston over Tennessee.
Agree with the latter but DISAGREE with the former! And no, it's NOT a town but rather the 4th largest city in the country. H-Town may have its share of warts and blemishes but at least I rep' it w/ pride instead hidin' behind some bio-line of "Right behind you....." :cool:

btw, living in H-Town, the rivalry b/w the Cowboys and Oilers/Texans is definitely in the minds of my fellow Houstonians......I hate the 'Skins, Eagles, and Giants much, much more than their team. In fact, I got nothing' but love for 'em..... :D

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
5mics said:
Agree with the latter but DISAGREE with the former! And no, it's NOT a town but rather the 4th largest city in the country. H-Town may have its share of warts and blemishes but at least I rep' it w/ pride instead hidin' behind some bio-line of "Right behind you....." :cool:

btw, living in H-Town, the rivalry b/w the Cowboys and Oilers/Texans is definitely in the minds of my fellow Houstonians......I hate the 'Skins, Eagles, and Giants much, much more than their team. In fact, I got nothing' but love for 'em..... :D

Houston is the fattest city in America

Houston is the dirtiest city in America

Houston has more pollution than any city in America

Houston has a HUGE gang problem

Houston's school system is awful

Shall I continue?

TLW47

Reaction score
You wanna hear something funny? The morning guys in Houston were saying Houston is the best football town in the world. :eek:

I'll agree that the Texans get great support. For now anyway.

But U of H draws like a high school team (and plays like one) and Rice has more members in their band than they do fans.

If nothing else it's amusing to listen to the Houston homers.They are always good for a laugh. :p:

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
I live in San Antonio, but have spent a lot of time in Dallas over the last four years. Whenever I'm up there, all I listen to on the radio is The Ticket...and I've yet to ever hear one caller reference the Houston Texans in all that time. Yet routinely the Houstonites who are Cowboys fans that post here seem to indicate that the Cowboys regularly come up several times a week in Houston.

It's quite clear the 'rivalry' means more to the Texans than Cowboys, and I think there are a number of reasons for this.

First of all, the Texans only get a sniff of the air time on television in the state. Take Fox Sports Southwest, for instance. Cowboys news always -- always -- leads over Texans news. The Texans are the "other" team in Texas, and it clearly gets to their fan base.

Locally here in San Antonio, it's the same way. They did a somewhat extensive recap of the Cowboys' draft on the various networks, showing highlights of prospects, etc. Toward the tail end of the sports segment they flash up on the screen the Texans' top three picks in passing.

They've done some polls here on whether it's unfair the Texans get pushed aside due to the fact the Texans fans that are here have complained. Again, just illustrating the 'red-headed step child' syndrome gets to them.

Realistically, they shouldn't be offended by this fact. They're an upstart franchise that is a blip on the radar, though seems to be headed in the right direction. The Cowboys are one of the most storied and winningest franchises in sports that have been on the scene for more than four decades.

Lastly, for Cowboys fans, we have our established rivals -- of course the Commanders primarily, along with the rest of the divisional teams. The 49ers have developed as a rival due to the high-profile games the two teams have been involved in, some of which the Cowboys have won, while others the 9ers have taken. The Packers can also be added to the list for similar reasons.

Honestly, the Texans remind me a little of the Arizona Cardinals in terms of a rivalry with them. For years, the Cardinals were the closest team to Dallas, and they built up the rivalry because it drew money for them. For Cowboys fans, it meant nothing -- but ask any Cardinals fan and I bet they relish in that playoff victory since it came against a 'rival', just like the Texans remember that season opener in 2002. Does anyone think the first time the Cowboys beat the Texans will be remembered by anyone as anything special?

The Texans need the Cowboys. They don't have any established rivals unless you consider their divisional opponents. They want and need a rivalary with the Cowboys, which is why they hype it up so much. Again, for the Cowboys though, they don't need it. I often find myself forgetting there's even another in-state team after all those years with no franchise in Houston.

Personally, I think it'd be great if the two teams were able to one day have a genuine rivalry, but that unfortunately seems unlikely due to the lack of frequency with which the teams play one another. The Texans have a passionate fanbase, and that's good for the league. It'll be interesting to see if they stand by their team for the longhaul, or if they'll eventually lose interest if they don't become a dominant franchise within the next decade.

Early signs are positive though. Passionate fans, great stadium, some nice building blocks and a classy organization.

Football-wise, their offseason has perplexed me.

I think Buchanon has been a career underachiever, yet they essntially traded away a 2nd, 3rd and Glenn for the guy. Morlon Greenwood avoids big plays like the plague, yet they hand him a considerable sized contract and release Jamie Sharper. It'll be interesting to see how it all pans out for them. I visited the Texans site at HoustonTexans.com when the Glenn news originally broke, and there are a lot of pessimistic Texans fans emerging.

They've been given a free pass due to their expansion status, but they really need to break the .500 mark this season. The Panthers and Jaguars both enjoyed quick success, and if you recall there were some bandwagoners who actually thought the Texans could make the playoffs in their first two years. This is a critical year for their coaching staff and the overall development of their franchise.

They certainly have the offensive talent, that's for sure. I think Andre Johnson might be my favorite wideout in the NFL, and Dominack Davis is nothing to sneeze at.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Dale - terrific post. Tweak it here and there, and you could prolly submit it to some sports periodical as an Op-Ed....

TLW47

Reaction score
You got it all right Dale. One interesting thing about the Texans though. This year they are bringing in a bit of a different type of player. They have prided themselves LOUDLY that they wouldn't ever have misfits on their team like the Cowboys, Raiders, etc have.

Well the new CB from Oakland they got calls himself "ShowTime" and even wears that on his T shirt under his uniform; he couldn't even fit in with the Raiders.

Their #1 draft choice was on trial for rape and acquited. 2 years ago they wouldn't have touched these guys with a ten foot pole. I think they figured out they can't be choir boys while the rest of the league takes players irregardless of some character issues.

But if you get Houston radio and listen to them they talk constantly about how classy the Texans are and nobody else is. They think their **** doesn't stink. We'll see.

And I heard them talking one day about how David Carr grew up a Cowboys fan but he burned all his Cowboys stuff when he got to Houston. Now can you imagine Troy doing that if the situation were reversed?

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Houston is the fattest city in America

Houston is the dirtiest city in America

Houston has more pollution than any city in America

Houston has a HUGE gang problem

Houston's school system is awful

Shall I continue?
Wow, talkin' a lot of smack while NOT devulging what city you live at. Yeah, you're a BIG MAN, huh? H-Town may have its share of problems BUT at least I don't hide where I'm from! Can't even represent your own city.....SAD as the 'Skins..... :D

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
Dale said:
I live in San Antonio, but have spent a lot of time in Dallas over the last four years. Whenever I'm up there, all I listen to on the radio is The Ticket...and I've yet to ever hear one caller reference the Houston Texans in all that time. Yet routinely the Houstonites who are Cowboys fans that post here seem to indicate that the Cowboys regularly come up several times a week in Houston.

It's quite clear the 'rivalry' means more to the Texans than Cowboys, and I think there are a number of reasons for this.

First of all, the Texans only get a sniff of the air time on television in the state. Take Fox Sports Southwest, for instance. Cowboys news always -- always -- leads over Texans news. The Texans are the "other" team in Texas, and it clearly gets to their fan base.

Locally here in San Antonio, it's the same way. They did a somewhat extensive recap of the Cowboys' draft on the various networks, showing highlights of prospects, etc. Toward the tail end of the sports segment they flash up on the screen the Texans' top three picks in passing.

They've done some polls here on whether it's unfair the Texans get pushed aside due to the fact the Texans fans that are here have complained. Again, just illustrating the 'red-headed step child' syndrome gets to them.

Realistically, they shouldn't be offended by this fact. They're an upstart franchise that is a blip on the radar, though seems to be headed in the right direction. The Cowboys are one of the most storied and winningest franchises in sports that have been on the scene for more than four decades.

Lastly, for Cowboys fans, we have our established rivals -- of course the Commanders primarily, along with the rest of the divisional teams. The 49ers have developed as a rival due to the high-profile games the two teams have been involved in, some of which the Cowboys have won, while others the 9ers have taken. The Packers can also be added to the list for similar reasons.

Honestly, the Texans remind me a little of the Arizona Cardinals in terms of a rivalry with them. For years, the Cardinals were the closest team to Dallas, and they built up the rivalry because it drew money for them. For Cowboys fans, it meant nothing -- but ask any Cardinals fan and I bet they relish in that playoff victory since it came against a 'rival', just like the Texans remember that season opener in 2002. Does anyone think the first time the Cowboys beat the Texans will be remembered by anyone as anything special?

The Texans need the Cowboys. They don't have any established rivals unless you consider their divisional opponents. They want and need a rivalary with the Cowboys, which is why they hype it up so much. Again, for the Cowboys though, they don't need it. I often find myself forgetting there's even another in-state team after all those years with no franchise in Houston.

Personally, I think it'd be great if the two teams were able to one day have a genuine rivalry, but that unfortunately seems unlikely due to the lack of frequency with which the teams play one another. The Texans have a passionate fanbase, and that's good for the league. It'll be interesting to see if they stand by their team for the longhaul, or if they'll eventually lose interest if they don't become a dominant franchise within the next decade.

Early signs are positive though. Passionate fans, great stadium, some nice building blocks and a classy organization.

Football-wise, their offseason has perplexed me.

I think Buchanon has been a career underachiever, yet they essntially traded away a 2nd, 3rd and Glenn for the guy. Morlon Greenwood avoids big plays like the plague, yet they hand him a considerable sized contract and release Jamie Sharper. It'll be interesting to see how it all pans out for them. I visited the Texans site at HoustonTexans.com when the Glenn news originally broke, and there are a lot of pessimistic Texans fans emerging.

They've been given a free pass due to their expansion status, but they really need to break the .500 mark this season. The Panthers and Jaguars both enjoyed quick success, and if you recall there were some bandwagoners who actually thought the Texans could make the playoffs in their first two years. This is a critical year for their coaching staff and the overall development of their franchise.

They certainly have the offensive talent, that's for sure. I think Andre Johnson might be my favorite wideout in the NFL, and Dominack Davis is nothing to sneeze at.
It's true, going by my friends who are ALL Texans fans, the "rivalry" is all in their minds. I don't consider them anymore a "rivalry" than the Seahawks.

Want to know what the Texans' BIGGEST problem is? Charley Casserly... That's what they get for hiring a former Commanders. :) Ben Jopporu OVER Jason Witten?! Thank you very much Charley...:eek:

P.S. When the Texans took Travis Johnson over Spears my friends hated it AND when we took Spears............It was a great draft party for ME! :D

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
5mics said:
Wow, talkin' a lot of smack while NOT devulging what city you live at. Yeah, you're a BIG MAN, huh? H-Town may have its share of problems BUT at least I don't hide where I'm from! Can't even represent your own city.....SAD as the 'Skins..... :D

I live in Dallas you tard, I never said I didnt...

However, right now Im going to school in College Station.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:
Yeah I agree, there's no real rivalry between the Mavs/Rockets. More S.A/Houston than anything else. Mavs were the doormats of the NBA for a long time and have only been successful since Don Nelson got there and Cuban bought the franchise. So it's hard to build a rivalry, when you were almost guaranteed a win everytime you played them for such a long time.

Also, there's no real Rangers/Astos rivalry. Astros rivals are all in the NL. Primarily the NL Central and the NL East.

The only slight rivalry I see with the Mavs are with Sacramento. We hate them. A lot. Lots of playoff matches the last few years. That being said, I am not so sure that they view us as much of a rivalry.

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
I live in Dallas you tard, I never said I didnt...

However, right now Im going to school in College Station.
Well at least you're officially acknowledging where you're from. It's one thing to talk smack about a city BUT to not even stand up and say what city your from while doing that.....that's pretty weak. Obviously I TOTALLY disagree with you about my city and I have my own opinions about certain cities that some members around here are from BUT I don't go around and thrash their cities. Go ahead and keep on keepin' on if you must BUT just be mindful cuz you may run across a poster who won't let it go so easily as I am doing..... ;) Hook 'EM!!! :)