How about Dalton Schultz?

Praxit

Reaction score
..remember that game where Jarwin had 3 TD's? Then he fell off the grid slowly. Lets keep it real for while.

Plankton

Reaction score
The guy will get paid well over $10 million a year. There’s no way the Cowboys can structure to where they can afford that, no matter the cap gymnastics.

Sure they can. Prescott's deal averages 40M per year, but he has a 2021 cap hit of 22M. It's all in how they structure it. Yes, they have work to do to get under the cap, but if they don't care about who gets restructured next year, they can make a deal that works. Keep in mind that they now don't have any remaining guaranteed money with La'el Collins due to his suspension, and it would make getting rid of him cleaner on the cap.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
..remember that game where Jarwin had 3 TD's? Then he fell off the grid slowly. Lets keep it real for while.

Yeah however Schultz showed consistent play last season and has again picked up right where he left off this season. Jarwin had a big games, (normally vs NY Giants) but Schultz is being consistent week to week. To me that is more important than a single big game.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
2 million dead cap next year and a 4.2 million savings.

https://overthecap.com/position/tight-end/

He will be getting money at about the range of 4-7 on this list. That's 12-15 mill a year for the cap. I am not sure how we do that and not sure we should.....

I can't see that. He's only had two years of production and it's not like he's Kelce. I think he could be had for a similar contract to what Jarwin got.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sure they can. Prescott's deal averages 40M per year, but he has a 2021 cap hit of 22M. It's all in how they structure it. Yes, they have work to do to get under the cap, but if they don't care about who gets restructured next year, they can make a deal that works.

And Schultz would still cost them money that they don’t have. As you mentioned, Dak’s cap hit rises substantially, like several others. They’ve kicked the van on many of them already. At some point the bill comes due. That’s next year.

Unless they know of a huge cap jump in 2023 that I’m unaware of, Dallas is in trouble.

Keep in mind that they now don't have any remaining guaranteed money with La'el Collins due to his suspension, and it would make getting rid of him cleaner on the cap.

I’ve looked at Collins’ deal and I still don’t see any significant areas for savings. Can you elaborate on that?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can't see that. He's only had two years of production and it's not like he's Kelce. I think he could be had for a similar contract to what Jarwin got.

maxresdefault.jpg

‘Not a prayer.’

John813

Reaction score
Cowboys can give Schultz whatever money he wants and then have the year one cap hit at vet min+ prorated signing bonus hit.

So lets say his contract is close to Jonnu smiths deal of 4 years, 50mil, 15mil sb(ignoring any per game bonus).

His 2022 cap hit could be 1mil base salary + 3.75mil(SB/4)= 4.75mil
That's nothing.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys can give Schultz whatever money he wants and then have the year one cap hit at vet min+ prorated signing bonus hit.

So lets say his contract is close to Jonnu smiths deal of 4 years, 50mil, 15mil sb(ignoring any per game bonus).

His 2022 cap hit could be 1mil base salary + 3.75mil(SB/4)= 4.75mil
That's nothing.

it is when they’re $20 million over already.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Look at the contracts for Hooper,Smith and Henry on this list and then look at their stats and then tell me why he would take less. If I was his agent I would not take less. If he hits another 60-70 for 700 yards that looks like the range to me. He is on pace for 74 - 762 on a 16 games basis.

https://overthecap.com/position/tight-end/

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Cowboys may not keep everyone but we are not getting rid of everyone either. You may not like it but Dallas will restructure deals to free up cap money. As for what Schultz may get in FA is not known.

John813

Reaction score

You know how they operate.

If Cooper is in the long term plans, they'll restructure his deal, and can add void years to drop his cap hit more.
Dak will get restructured, based off his 2 void years (4+2), and that signing bonus gets prorated over a max of 5 years.
I doubt they touch Tank's deal, unless he balls out when back, but at 19mil base, that can be redone to free up cap.
Zach Martin is showing zero signs of slowing down so he's another restructure option with a 11mil base.
I doubt Jaylon is on the team, but any cap savings won't be realized till June 1st, perfect for the rookie class.
Anthony Brown and his 6.5mil cap hit won't be here one way or another.
Tyron Smith could go for his 5th restructure.
etc...

With void years becoming a new norm right now, teams can get out of any hole and still sign guys.

Plankton

Reaction score
I’ve looked at Collins’ deal and I still don’t see any significant areas for savings. Can you elaborate on that?

Collins has 2.1M in option bonuses over the next three years that he has forfeited because of the suspension. His salary guarantee for 6.48M on the fifth day of the league year in 2022 is now voided. They could, if they wanted to be tough, request repayment of the two remaining years of unamortized signing bonus because of the suspension - that would be another 3.6M. If they let him go next year, they avoid his 10M salary, and would still have a hit of 11.85M (this is based on the option bonuses voiding) that could be spread over two years, and reduced down to 8.25M overall if they went after the signing bonus.

Now, do I think that they will go this route? No, not since Jimmy Smith has Jerry Jones gotten vindictive with a player over money. But, the option is there if they wanted to exercise it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Just for the record Cowboys would be 14.9 mill over the cap at the start of 2022 season.

Still less than Green Bay at 27.3 mill over the cap and much better than New Orleans 47.5 mill over the cap in 2022.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys may not keep everyone but we are not getting rid of everyone either. You may not like it but Dallas will restructure deals to free up cap money.

It’s not a matter of ‘like’ or not. It’s about the math. I think that’s the real part that some fans don’t ‘like’ so they live in denial. I’m not one of them.

As for what Schultz may get in FA is not known.

Based on his 2020 season and thus far in 2021, it’s not hard to estimate. Again, even if some fans ‘don’t like it’.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just for the record Cowboys would be 14.9 mill over the cap at the start of 2022 season.

Still less than Green Bay at 27.3 mill over the cap and much better than New Orleans 47.5 mill over the cap in 2022.

And still over. Before they even think of signing anyone. That’s reality.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
6 catches on 7 targets for 80 yards and 2 TDs.

Dallas needs to extend him fast.

He's the #1 TE here by far.

:starspin:
I added him to my fantasy team. That TE from Florida has not done anything worth being a top 10 pick.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Collins has 2.1M in option bonuses over the next three years that he has forfeited because of the suspension. His salary guarantee for 6.48M on the fifth day of the league year in 2022 is now voided. They could, if they wanted to be tough, request repayment of the two remaining years of unamortized signing bonus because of the suspension - that would be another 3.6M. If they let him go next year, they avoid his 10M salary, and would still have a hit of 11.85M (this is based on the option bonuses voiding) that could be spread over two years, and reduced down to 8.25M overall if they went after the signing bonus.

Now, do I think that they will go this route? No, not since Jimmy Smith has Jerry Jones gotten vindictive with a player over money. But, the option is there if they wanted to exercise it.

Thanks for that.

So how does that $12 million in dead money compare to what it saves? Is it even worth it?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You know how they operate.

If Cooper is in the long term plans, they'll restructure his deal, and can add void years to drop his cap hit more.
Dak will get restructured, based off his 2 void years (4+2), and that signing bonus gets prorated over a max of 5 years.
I doubt they touch Tank's deal, unless he balls out when back, but at 19mil base, that can be redone to free up cap.
Zach Martin is showing zero signs of slowing down so he's another restructure option with a 11mil base.
I doubt Jaylon is on the team, but any cap savings won't be realized till June 1st, perfect for the rookie class.
Anthony Brown and his 6.5mil cap hit won't be here one way or another.
Tyron Smith could go for his 5th restructure.
etc...

With void years becoming a new norm right now, teams can get out of any hole and still sign guys.

That bill comes due. Unless the cap jumps up by $30 - $40 million in 2023, they still can’t afford to make those moves.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It’s not a matter of ‘like’ or not. It’s about the math. I think that’s the real part that some fans don’t ‘like’ so they live in denial. I’m not one of them.

Based on his 2020 season and thus far in 2021, it’s not hard to estimate. Again, even if some fans ‘don’t like it’.

teams know ahead of time before these big contract how they intend on dealing with the cap. I know most think Jerry and Stephen are stupid people, myself I think they fully understand the cap and how they plan on moving forward in dealing with it. Other teams do the same thing, to think Dallas is just going to let every FA walk and not pick up players in FA is not what I have seen from any team even those who entered the season over the cap.