How about Josh Ball?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Give Jibril Cox and Josh Ball a chance. I think @Ranching will. That's right, I think Ranching likes Ball and Cox. :muttley:

Hey buddy, how are you doing? :)
Always good to see my main man posting.
Good to see you up and around!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Steele may be as good as the current version of Collins, but I seriously doubt that Steele will ever be as good as Collins was when he was playing at his best.

Collins was better in his heyday. The problem is we dont have that guy anymore. the guy we have now is a guy that cares little about the game and is a head case. Good riddance.

The steele that started last year during those first 8 games was much better than the Collins we got the 2nd half of the year. I think you start Steele. Let him know this is his shot. See if he can develop into a legit starting RT. We cant replace 4 positions in one year. Guard is the most pressing, then maybe you get a center if a real stud is there. Im not opposed to giving Biadasz another year. I think if you can find one good starter out of Steele and Biadasz your thankful for that.

So lets say you get your stud guard this year in round 1. Steele develops into a legit RT. Then you have center and replacing Smith coming up in the next two years.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok I am looking for glimmers of hope. How about Josh Ball? Slipped to the 4th round because of some off field incidents. Guy would have been drafted much higher. Red shirt mostly last year and he seemed to behave himself. His off field stuff was pretty bad so thankfully he seems to have matured. Maybe he’s in the process of maturing. My working theory is that they let Collins go because they are high on Ball not Steele. To me Steele is at best a swing tackle. I don’t see him as a 17 game starter but more as a quality backup. Maybe I am wrong. Ball has a much higher ceiling. Hence I believe G is going to be one of the top 2 picks.

Anyone have a feeling or inside scoop on Ball? Am I wrong?
I've posted about him before.

Injured in training camp and remained on IR all season; although, he was allowed to practice at the end of the season without counting against the 53 man roster.

Josh Ball was better at LT (Florida State) in 2017 than Steele was at RT (Texas Tech) in 2020.

Josh Ball definitely has NFL physical ability.

He was suspended from Florida State in 2018 due to an accusation of domestic violence.

He was never changed.

He has not been in trouble the past 4 years and was never in trouble legally.

Steele is a legit NFL starting RT. He managed when starting at LT last season; however, he was far better at RT. He started at RT even after La'el returned from injury; however, Steele then had to play LT.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
- Steele has actually played (and started) a number of games ,.. Josh Ball has not
- Steele is already game experienced at the NFL level,.. Ball has zero experience at all. .
- Steele has already put his display onto the playing field ..Ball has yet to do so.

- Remember that Cowboys were also high on Chaz Green to spend a 3rd round pick on him as his final year at Florida, a i believe i read
his college profile as not surrendering a sack and played across the line.

- Imo, scouting profile, physical tools and draft round projection sounds encouraging on paper, but its' all about what happens when players have to translate it to the playing field.
Ball is an unknown... until he proves otherwise.
Green failed due to a chronic hip injury.
- He started 2 games at LT the season before the Atlanta game and gave up zero sacks. Fans didn't even noticed that he started.
- He started at OG the following season until the hip injury.
- When he returned from the hip injury they played him at LT in the Atlanta game and he struggled to move due to the hip issue.
- The hip reportedly was never 100% even at the end of that season.
- It is possible that a hip injury contributed to the Cowboys cutting La'el Collins.
- Tyrone Crawford retired due to hip problems.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Looking into my Crystal Ball… I see one veteran, and 2 rookies coming to Dallas to compete for Oline jobs. May the best man win.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Steele was a UFA. Ball was a 4 star recruit at Florida State. Ball committed a serious crime and still got drafted in the 4th round. Clearly others see that.
Josh Ball was not charged with a crime.

You are committing a crime by slandering him.
- Actually it's called libel when it is written (slander when verbal).

- I'm serious that your are committing a crime.
- It is against the law to report that someone committed a crime if that person was never charged with a crime.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Josh Ball has been grossly unproven as far as his talent at an NFL level is concerned. Understandably, the knee injury that he sustained set him back considerably in his development. I'll be looking forward to seeing him perform in TC to get a better idea of his development. I think our FO has been overly optimistic about Steele's readiness to take over La'el Collins' RT spot without a downturn in performance. Of course, that will be very closely monitored once TC gets underway and thereafter. I don't doubt that his upside has been somewhat encouraging, however. It just takes time.

Last edited:

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Ok I am looking for glimmers of hope. How about Josh Ball? Slipped to the 4th round because of some off field incidents. Guy would have been drafted much higher. Red shirt mostly last year and he seemed to behave himself. His off field stuff was pretty bad so thankfully he seems to have matured. Maybe he’s in the process of maturing. My working theory is that they let Collins go because they are high on Ball not Steele. To me Steele is at best a swing tackle. I don’t see him as a 17 game starter but more as a quality backup. Maybe I am wrong. Ball has a much higher ceiling. Hence I believe G is going to be one of the top 2 picks.

Anyone have a feeling or inside scoop on Ball? Am I wrong?
Any updates would be welcome.
Sounds like he has the tools to be good.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Josh Ball was not charged with a crime.

You are committing a crime by slandering him.
- Actually it's called libel when it is written (slander when verbal).

- I'm serious that your are committing a crime.
- It is against the law to report that someone committed a crime if that person was never charged with a crime.

I misspoke clearly. But clearly you are a sensitive little snowflake.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I've posted about him before.

Injured in training camp and remained on IR all season; although, he was allowed to practice at the end of the season without counting against the 53 man roster.

Josh Ball was better at LT (Florida State) in 2017 than Steele was at RT (Texas Tech) in 2020.

Josh Ball definitely has NFL physical ability.

He was suspended from Florida State in 2018 due to an accusation of domestic violence.

He was never changed.

He has not been in trouble the past 4 years and was never in trouble legally.

Steele is a legit NFL starting RT. He managed when starting at LT last season; however, he was far better at RT. He started at RT even after La'el returned from injury; however, Steele then had to play LT.
Good luck at the draft. It’s pretty clear the GMs will be consulting you every step of the way.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Semantics I suppose. All good.

Anyway, I'm all for giving Ball a shot as the swing.

His talent level suggests him to be an eventual starter. Depends what the staff has seen from him in practice which we cannot see.
You still da man.

CapnB

Reaction score
I like ball and cox..................and expect them to do great things.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
It's not anybody's guess. Stephen told you they released Collins because of Steele and they are dumb enough to tell you the truth.

Terence Steele is your starting RT. Josh Ball will compete for the swing tackle job.

I think this is true heading into camp. I don’t think it will be true by the start of the season. Ball is going to win the RT spot and Steele will be the swing. Ball is going to be good.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Micah Parsons didn't play the year before either but seemed to work out OK!
lol that isn't really what I am talking about. Micah sat out becuase of covid, and there seem to be way more questions marks about Ball. Granted Micah had some as well, but different circumstances is what I mean

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Parsons took a year off...at least Ball practiced, studied game film and will have
Preseason games. Steele is a good insurance policy.
He did with covid yes, but do we reallly know if Ball is expcted to be given a fair shot? Is he even ready? Jump right in the OL where we desperately need him? Lots will be seen in pre season indeed, and many of us will be more confident if we see something there

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
You do not have to ask for him to be given a chance, that will happen. They do not pick players with problems without planning on playing them.

How good is he and how good can he be? That is the only question.

I'll be glad when Jerry is gone and we stop taking these high risk players. I get there is value to be had but I get tired of the injury prone and the headcases.

cowboyec

Reaction score
very excited to see what he can do.
may very well be our new swing tackle.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Ball should be developed as swing tackle and if we are lucky replacing Tyron at LT

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Always good to see my main man posting.
Good to see you up and around!
Hey Corso, how's it going? Yeah, I was in offseason hibernation for a bit. Now it's time to start thinking about the draft and WTH is going on with FA.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Semantics I suppose. All good.

Anyway, I'm all for giving Ball a shot as the swing.

His talent level suggests him to be an eventual starter. Depends what the staff has seen from him in practice which we cannot see.

You tried handling it peacefully. Time to throw hands.