How about Josh Ball?

quickccc

Reaction score
Green failed due to a chronic hip injury.
- He started 2 games at LT the season before the Atlanta game and gave up zero sacks. Fans didn't even noticed that he started.
- He started at OG the following season until the hip injury.
- When he returned from the hip injury they played him at LT in the Atlanta game and he struggled to move due to the hip issue.
- The hip reportedly was never 100% even at the end of that season.
- It is possible that a hip injury contributed to the Cowboys cutting La'el Collins.
- Tyrone Crawford retired due to hip problems.

- Chaz Green has traveled around and has been on several more NFL teams after leaving the Cowboys.
So maybe the hip apparently wasn't an issue as to why he couldn't play here.
But i did see some teams have exploited him as an OG, than OT.

- I thought about Collin's hip, and there was media rumor that he may have failed his physical exam in Cincy
but that apparently did not prove true as Cincy signed him up.

bonafidebanter

Reaction score
Boy how we love picking broken and damaged players looking for bargains. From Jaylon Smith, Randy Gregory, La'el Collins, and now this guy. I'm pretty sure there are more, but remind me how that plan of attack has worked out for us so far. I'm looking for that damaged/broken player for us to draft now. Pathetic.

bonafidebanter

Reaction score
It's not anybody's guess. Stephen told you they released Collins because of Steele and they are dumb enough to tell you the truth.

Terence Steele is your starting RT. Josh Ball will compete for the swing tackle job.
Great, an UDFA starting at RT and a 2nd year 4th rounder with zero snaps in our rotation. Add a rookie RG (probably a 5th round selection), an aging unreliable LT and a weak C, we're looking good. Running lanes and pass protection are going to be an adventure.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
perhaps, but how can Ball step in day 1 and take over? He hasn't played

Well 1st of all its not stepping in on day 1. He's been learning the system for an entire year and in the weight room. To the other part of your point we just don't know what he can do on the field because he was put on IR just like semi. The difference between semi and ball and rookies is these guys should know the system/language by now to better understand what the protection or route calls are and how our coaches want things executed. I will also say the hardest part of football is being mentally pre paired at this level. Hopefully we get to see these guys come training camp and then we'll know.

jnday

Reaction score
Collins was better in his heyday. The problem is we dont have that guy anymore. the guy we have now is a guy that cares little about the game and is a head case. Good riddance.

The steele that started last year during those first 8 games was much better than the Collins we got the 2nd half of the year. I think you start Steele. Let him know this is his shot. See if he can develop into a legit starting RT. We cant replace 4 positions in one year. Guard is the most pressing, then maybe you get a center if a real stud is there. Im not opposed to giving Biadasz another year. I think if you can find one good starter out of Steele and Biadasz your thankful for that.

So lets say you get your stud guard this year in round 1. Steele develops into a legit RT. Then you have center and replacing Smith coming up in the next two years.
Martin will need to be replaced as well and there is a good chance of Smith declining even more this year. He definitely isn’t the player that he used to be. If the Cowboys knew how to develop olinemen, it wouldn’t be an issue, but the only decent linemen that they have had in the last few years has been first round talent.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Martin will need to be replaced as well and there is a good chance of Smith declining even more this year. He definitely isn’t the player that he used to be. If the Cowboys knew how to develop olinemen, it wouldn’t be an issue, but the only decent linemen that they have had in the last few years has been first round talent.

No doubt, its a big problem. You fill one leak and another one sprouts. Thats why I am really hoping they use a first rounder on a llineman. Gotta start somewhere and these first and 2nd rounders arent working. Would have been nice to see them sign someone in FA.

plymkr

Reaction score
Collins was better in his heyday. The problem is we dont have that guy anymore. the guy we have now is a guy that cares little about the game and is a head case. Good riddance.

The steele that started last year during those first 8 games was much better than the Collins we got the 2nd half of the year. I think you start Steele. Let him know this is his shot. See if he can develop into a legit starting RT. We cant replace 4 positions in one year. Guard is the most pressing, then maybe you get a center if a real stud is there. Im not opposed to giving Biadasz another year. I think if you can find one good starter out of Steele and Biadasz your thankful for that.

So lets say you get your stud guard this year in round 1. Steele develops into a legit RT. Then you have center and replacing Smith coming up in the next two years.
Collins was great for us until he got lazy, which lead to him getting hurt and then the suspension. Not gonna lie I'm still a little butt hurt about Cooper being gone. I'm mad at Coop, Moore, and FO for all.of their roles in that relationship souring. I'm glad Collins is gone. Couldn't trust him. What about picking up Zach Martin's brother. He can play guard and center. He's not great at center but he can play it. I'd like to bring him in due to his versatility, relatively cheap, and can plug at least 1 hole. Going into the draft I don't want us to have several offensive line holes. I'd like to get that number lower.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Collins was great for us until he got lazy, which lead to him getting hurt and then the suspension. Not gonna lie I'm still a little butt hurt about Cooper being gone. I'm mad at Coop, Moore, and FO for all.of their roles in that relationship souring. I'm glad Collins is gone. Couldn't trust him. What about picking up Zach Martin's brother. He can play guard and center. He's not great at center but he can play it. I'd like to bring him in due to his versatility, relatively cheap, and can plug at least 1 hole. Going into the draft I don't want us to have several offensive line holes. I'd like to get that number lower.
Coop was overpaid and expandable. Didn’t live up to the price. Easy call to let him go. Smart move.

plymkr

Reaction score
I've posted about him before.

Injured in training camp and remained on IR all season; although, he was allowed to practice at the end of the season without counting against the 53 man roster.

Josh Ball was better at LT (Florida State) in 2017 than Steele was at RT (Texas Tech) in 2020.

Josh Ball definitely has NFL physical ability.

He was suspended from Florida State in 2018 due to an accusation of domestic violence.

He was never changed.

He has not been in trouble the past 4 years and was never in trouble legally.

Steele is a legit NFL starting RT. He managed when starting at LT last season; however, he was far better at RT. He started at RT even after La'el returned from injury; however, Steele then had to play LT.
Off the top of my head I can't remember. What was Ball's injury that ended his season. I'd like to see Ball get some work in the preseason.

plymkr

Reaction score
Coop was overpaid and expandable. Didn’t live up to the price. Easy call to let him go. Smart move.
Totally agree. Definitely overpaid and didn't live up to his contract. In a way I'm happy with the move cuz I like the idea of purging bad contacts to underperformaning players. What I'm still salty about is Cooper's role in underperformaning, Moore's role for not getting the most out of him and the FO waiting too long to sign him which jacked up the price. But the FO did get us an out after 2 years if he didn't light it up so the FO did good there. I just really liked Cooper and wished it would have worked out. I'm sure I'll be over it when the season starts. It will really help me get over it if Lamb and Gallup ball out. Lol, then i won't care at all.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Ok I am looking for glimmers of hope. How about Josh Ball? Slipped to the 4th round because of some off field incidents. Guy would have been drafted much higher. Red shirt mostly last year and he seemed to behave himself. His off field stuff was pretty bad so thankfully he seems to have matured. Maybe he’s in the process of maturing. My working theory is that they let Collins go because they are high on Ball not Steele. To me Steele is at best a swing tackle. I don’t see him as a 17 game starter but more as a quality backup. Maybe I am wrong. Ball has a much higher ceiling. Hence I believe G is going to be one of the top 2 picks.

Anyone have a feeling or inside scoop on Ball? Am I wrong?
at best Steele was the RT when this team was on 6-0 run and Lc came back out of shape unmotivated and got himself extra suspension being a knucklehead. At best we were better with Steele

memory's here are pretty bad..Zeke, the OL, dak all better the first half of the season without a lot of the guys who are now gone. Many of our best known unmotivated overpaid knuckleheads were released this offseason and it seems fans are having short memory separation anxiety, i see it as positive.

I hope Bal is nice prospect and shows something, but they saw Steele play more then adequately, i mean soem here didnt want LC to get his job back but now weird they think its huge loss hes gone same with Cwill..these changes were made for good reason..

you do not need a PB or HOF player at every position to be successful.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Totally agree. Definitely overpaid and didn't live up to his contract. In a way I'm happy with the move cuz I like the idea of purging bad contacts to underperformaning players. What I'm still salty about is Cooper's role in underperformaning, Moore's role for not getting the most out of him and the FO waiting too long to sign him which jacked up the price. But the FO did get us an out after 2 years if he didn't light it up so the FO did good there. I just really liked Cooper and wished it would have worked out. I'm sure I'll be over it when the season starts. It will really help me get over it if Lamb and Gallup ball out. Lol, then i won't care at all.

We just had too many weapons. That was the problem, not the use of Cooper. Its exactly why we had to get rid of a guy. Now you can more feature a guy like Lamb and Shultz. Lamb, Cooper, Shultz, Gallup? That is just a ridiculous amount of riches.

The problem now becomes...........what do you do if a guy like Lamb or Gallup get hurt? You dont quite have that amazing depth. But that is most teams. I like allocating that money over to the defense or to resigning Gallup and Shultz.

Now if Gallup wanted 20 mill or Shultz wanted 15 million, maybe you hang onto Cooper instead. But the money was right with Gallup and the franchise tag made Shultz reasonable.

And the truth with Cooper was that he was dinged up a lot.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, he was injured before the 1st pre-season game.

He recovered and was activated for practice near the end of the season.
- Players returning from IR can practice for 3 weeks for they have to be activated or returned to IR for the remainder of the season.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I misspoke clearly. But clearly you are a sensitive little snowflake.
I'm not angry.

Just letting you know that Josh Ball was only accused of a crime.

You literally committed one with multiple witnesses.

plasticman

Reaction score
Ball arguably doesn’t deserve a spot on this roster. The offensive line needs serious improvement, & not only do his off-the-field actions reflect poorly (very violent) on the organization, but he has no play to show for himself.
He got hurt, happens to a lot of rookies. I think he still has a good opportunity.

I'm looking for "very violent" on the field. Hopefully, he'll be able to contribute.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I'm not angry.

Just letting you know that Josh Ball was only accused of a crime.

You literally committed one with multiple witnesses.
Watching a lot of law and order I see. Get over yourself.

jnday

Reaction score
He one one of the vest RTs in the league until he got the big payday. He worked hard to get the contract and he stopped working once the money started to come in.

jrumann59

Reaction score
He one one of the vest RTs in the league until he got the big payday. He worked hard to get the contract and he stopped working once the money started to come in.
I think his hip was more of an issue than either he or Dallas let on. I am leaning towards he under reported an ailing hip to get the contract and his hip literally came apart a the seams.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Ok I am looking for glimmers of hope. How about Josh Ball? Slipped to the 4th round because of some off field incidents. Guy would have been drafted much higher. Red shirt mostly last year and he seemed to behave himself. His off field stuff was pretty bad so thankfully he seems to have matured. Maybe he’s in the process of maturing. My working theory is that they let Collins go because they are high on Ball not Steele. To me Steele is at best a swing tackle. I don’t see him as a 17 game starter but more as a quality backup. Maybe I am wrong. Ball has a much higher ceiling. Hence I believe G is going to be one of the top 2 picks.

Anyone have a feeling or inside scoop on Ball? Am I wrong?
I put Ball on the list of "could be", and we have a few.
Just one of many that could be something.