1 NFL Draft Countdown 47.67 50 52 41
2 Rick Gosselin DMN 46.00 47 47 44
3 Football.com (boyer) 45.33 53 41 42
4 Rob's Scouting 45.00 49 46 40
5 Mel Kiper jr. 44.33 43 49 41
6 Jay Glazer (fox sports) 41.67 45 38 42
7 The Red Zone 41.33 44 40 40
8 Draft World 41.00 47 39 37
please don't let a thing like facts get in the way. this is the last 3 yrs mocks. kiper got 44.3 ,goose 46.kiper was 5th best,goose 2nd

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I actually enjoy listening to Kiper (as odd as it sounds). He's an underrated analyst though his mocks are sometimes slotted more towards a position than a player.

I don't like his big board sometimes. Remember 2002? When the Boys picked, Bryant was at the top of his board. Same thing with Ross when he was snatched up by us. Got me all excited yet both burned out.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Avery said:
I actually enjoy listening to Kiper (as odd as it sounds). He's an underrated analyst though his mocks are sometimes slotted more towards a position than a player.

I don't like his big board sometimes. Remember 2002? When the Boys picked, Bryant was at the top of his board. Same thing with Ross when he was snatched up by us. Got me all excited yet both burned out.

I like listening to him because he amuses me. That head nod is priceless. And the way he swints his eyes.

The draft wouldn't be the same without him, he is like a part of the process, even though he isn't right all the time.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Alexander said:
That's is exactly why I don't pay a bit of attention to his mocks.

Scott Wright has a very nice site and does a better job leading up to the drat if you don't like waiting on Gosselin to just tell you what he heard.
I'd enjoy the link if you have it handy.

I don't pay attention to his mocks either. His analysis of player's strengths and weaknesses I do pay attention to. He does a very good job there. Not perfect, but who is?

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I'd enjoy the link if you have it handy.

I don't pay attention to his mocks either. His analysis of player's strengths and weaknesses I do pay attention to. He does a very good job there. Not perfect, but who is?

I think Scott Wright's website is NFL Draft Countdown.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/

CriscoKidd

Reaction score
He buys into his "draft expert" status too much. He's interesting to listen to, but I don't think what he puts out there is significantly better than other material out there.

And I thought him claiming MW was the best player in the draft last year was flat out ridiculous and a shot to his credibility.

Alexander

Reaction score
Arch Stanton said:
I think Scott Wright's website is NFL Draft Countdown.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/

That's right. His mocks are usually pretty good and are more accurate than most the months leading up to the draft. Any mock can be close the night before. His are more thoughtful than most and he doesn't have the contacts Gosselin does, I don't believe. Goose doesn't really play fair.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
I believe Mel Kiper is just as good as the next expert......for sure he puts tons of research into it.

Alexander

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy said:
I believe Mel Kiper is just as good as the next expert......for sure he puts tons of research into it.

I don't think he does. He rarely comes up with big sleepers that nobody else does. And his big thing is quoting stats. "In his final year with the Moccassins, Ray Finkle hit an amazing 88% of his FG's in head coach Bobby Turner's attack". Nine times out of ten, ask Mel a football technique question and you would probably get a glazed look.

If having a steel trap brain that can rattle off statistics is your idea of in-depth player analysis and a ton of research, more power to you.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
Alexander said:
If you want to know value, he is one of the best. But that is in a vague sense. A first rounder is a first rounder. Not a high, middle or low. By the end of the first day, his board is pretty much depleted.

But he is not very good at projecting teams and players. As Hostile said, he is very loyal to his board and if he projects a player in the first, he will force it on a team that really doesn't have a chance of taking the player.

If you want a mock draft person who hits teams and players/slots, read Gosselin the week before the draft. Nobody is better because he actually gets tips from the teams themselves.

And after being at the draft a lot of times.
And talking to the people there - no one talkes to Kiper.
The only information he get's is bad.

Remember - he does not do the leg work involved in the drafting process.
Seeing the games in person.
Talking to the coaches - in person.
Getting a feel foe what each NFL team is looking for.

The only person who did that is the late Joel Bushbamm.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
Alexander said:
I don't think he does. He rarely comes up with big sleepers that nobody else does. And his big thing is quoting stats. "In his final year with the Moccassins, Ray Finkle hit an amazing 88% of his FG's in head coach Bobby Turner's attack". Nine times out of ten, ask Mel a football technique question and you would probably get a glazed look.

If having a steel trap brain that can rattle off statistics is your idea of in-depth player analysis and a ton of research, more power to you.

You are correct.

And could someone send me a Del Kupper guide.
I have to go to the Men's room.

CactusCowboy

Benched
Reaction score
I think he is very knowledgeable. The art of guessing who will pick who is impossible. There are a lot of people who dislike Mel- me thinks it's jealousy. :)

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
77Cowboy said:
Who does Kiper think we will take in the first round?
Jason Allen. After the news of the last couple of days that will obviously change.

Alexander

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
Jason Allen. After the news of the last couple of days that will obviously change.

I might be wrong, but I think he was wrong about both our first round picks last year, wasn't he?

I mean, if Kiper can nail your draft down to the player, then you are probably doing it wrong or own a pick in the top three.

BHendri5

Reaction score
YoMick said:
I know its alot of guessing.. I am guessing... educated guessing(it is his area of expertise)

so how has he faired in the past? anyone know? or is he just a talking windbag?

Yes, he is a talking windbag.

Alexander

Reaction score
CactusCowboy said:
I think he is very knowledgeable. The art of guessing who will pick who is impossible. There are a lot of people who dislike Mel- me thinks it's jealousy. :)

Who wouldn't be jealous? He has the label of guru even though his results don't really demonstrate he is much better than many others. He gets paid seven figures. He gets to "analyze" the draft and get paid for it. He gets all the females with that hair.

I mean, who wouldn't be?