How are the Cowboys not a top 10 offense?

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
This thread is a clear window into the world of fan homerism. There is really no reason, at this point, to think the Cowboys are getting slighted here.

Even if you just look at points per game (including the playoffs) with Cooper, it would average out to 22.3 points per game which would only move them up a few spots in the points per game rankings.

Now add in an OC that has been coaching for one year and how in the world can people expect outsiders to think this offense is ready to just starting plowing people?

Exactly, also most don't look really hard at things but Cooper was very very average (if not below average his last 5 games with us (which includes the 2 playoff games). he got off to an incredibly hot start with Dak but then teams adjusted and he was mostly taken out of games (the last 5).

Whyjerry

Reaction score
per nfl.com the cowboys don’t have a top 10 offense despite having a top rb, top tier wr, top tier oline and top 10 qb...boggles the mind

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...10-offenses-saints-colts-eagles-best-of-bunch

Why? That is easy...

usatsi_10176037-copy.jpg

Sydla

Reaction score
Exactly, also most don't look really hard at things but Cooper was very very average (if not below average his last 5 games with us (which includes the 2 playoff games). he got off to an incredibly hot start with Dak but then teams adjusted and he was mostly taken out of games (the last 5).

And look, it's not impossible this could be a really good offense in 2019. There are pieces in place and if guys stay healthy that they could be. But expecting it at this point is a real reach.

Further, even if we had all the right pieces on offense, the fact we have an OC that will apparently build the game plan and call the plays who HAS NEVER DONE EITHER IN HIS LIFE, would be more than enough for people outside of Dallas to have concerns about Dallas' offense.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Tis the season when people get feelings hurt over rankings.....

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Dak is not a top 10 quarterback.
Having one elite reciever is not enough to warrant an "A" rating.
Top tier running back
Top tier OLine when healthy

Not that hard to understand. Still not a big fan of the list. Eagals so high?

Agree with you about Dak as for the Eagles well they did go out and get Jordan Howard and last year without a RB they were the 14th ranked offense in the NFL so i see the jump, but alot depends on Wentz's health

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Agree with you about Dak as for the Eagles well they did go out and get Jordan Howard and last year without a RB they were the 14th ranked offense in the NFL so i see the jump, but alot depends on Wentz's health
Jordan Howard was trash last year. They still don’t have one until proven otherwise.

Sydla

Reaction score
So you too think the Eagles and Colts are a better offense than Chiefs? You’re as crazy as they are then.

I think you are underestimating how big an effect no Hill and Hunt will have on the Chiefs, even with Mahomes. They will still be a very good offense.

But I won't quibble with you if you think the Chiefs will still be better than the Colts or Eagles or Steelers. A big positive with them is their head coach who is really an offensive genius at this point.

Last edited:

pansophy

Reaction score
3rd down conversion rate and red zone TD% explain this. Even during Dak's rookie year 3rd and long success was not good.

We will know if Dak has improved to the point we need when these areas of his game are in the top 10.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Steelers were 4th in yards per game and 5th in points per game last year. I think people seemingly forget they are a very good offense. I don't know if it's because people stereotype them as some ground and pound team, but they have typically been a very prolific offense. If Big Ben can manage to stay healthy, they will be a legit offense most likely. AIthough it will remain to be seen what they can do with Brown, however.

They are also likely banking on the Eagles returning to their SB year offense. With Wentz, they were Top 5 in scoring and total offense. If he's healthy, they should be very good. They have a good OL, real options at TB now, they have dynamic TEs and a decent group of WRs.

The Colts were 7th in scoring and yards per game last year.
I’d agree the Steelers were top 10 if Brown was there. He’s not though and they didn’t replace him.

If I have to start my offense off with “If he’s healthy” then yeah that’s a lot of assuming by the writer. But even with a healthy Wentz.....at receiver......they are going to force throws to Ertz all game.....I just don’t see it but it’s not because of Wentz......receiver seems kind of weak to me.

Colts.....dink and dunk.

I’m not arguing for these offenses better than the Cowboys. I think there’s a argument but they all are of the same caliber. But from what I saw of the Chiefs even without Tyreek Hill I that is still scary with Mahomes.

DanA

Reaction score
To me it's more about the generally rising tide on our offense rather than pointing to one of two big improvements. Statistically, we were pretty awful last season so I can understand not being ranked in the top 10. But I do think there is improvement across the board with only a few exceptions.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

Sydla

Reaction score
I’d agree the Steelers were top 10 if Brown was there. He’s not though and they didn’t replace him.

If I have to start my offense off with “If he’s healthy” then yeah that’s a lot of assuming by the writer. But even with a healthy Wentz.....at receiver......they are going to force throws to Ertz all game.....I just don’t see it but it’s not because of Wentz......receiver seems kind of weak to me.

Colts.....dink and dunk.

I’m not arguing for these offenses better than the Cowboys. I think there’s a argument but they all are of the same caliber. But from what I saw of the Chiefs even without Tyreek Hill I that is still scary with Mahomes.

I don't have a complaint if you want to rank the Chiefs still over some of these other teams.

But I think it's homerism to argue that the Cowboys are definitely better offensive than any of those four teams at this point.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think you are underestimating how big an effect no Hill and Hunt will have on the Chiefs, even with Mahomes. They will still be a very good offense.

But I won't quibble with you if you think the Chiefs will still be better than the Colts or Eagles or Steelers. A big positive with them is their head coach who is really an offensive genius at this point.
They were fine without Hunt. If they didn’t run into the Pats they would’ve won the Super Bowl without him or at least gotten to it.

They may miss Hill. But i can’t say if he will based on what I saw from Mahomes last year. I can’t rule out Mahomes and Reid just yet.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Here is another indicator:

Prescott’s slide continued through the first half of 2018 though, and with that brought serious doubt as to whether he deserved the moniker of Cowboys franchise quarterback.

His play was bad and his poor mechanics and sketchy decision making were front and center for the world to see, contributing to the Cowboys missing scoring opportunities and losing games. However in the second half of the season, Prescott’s play returned to the form from the first season and a half of his young career, and Dallas returned to the playoffs as NFC East champions for the second time in three seasons.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...escott-contract-projection-study-vs-qb-peers/

New tools have been added...chemistry will be improved with Cobb, Witten, and the return of a Pro Bowl center. As to specialty running backs, that will have to be weighed in as well. Maybe a healthy Austin as well? We know the quality is in the line and it's depth now.