How are we really doing compared to past years?

Sydla

Reaction score
A lot has been made of how we have acquired only one player - Kendricks - thus far. We are now 9 days into FA. So I went back over the last 5 offseasons just to compare it to now in terms of when we added players. After 9 days:

2019 (3) - FA started 3/13/19

Cobb (3/19)
Hyder (3/18)
Covington (3/14)

2020 (0) - FA started 3/18/20

2021 (5) - FA started on 3/17/21

Nsekhe (3/22)
Urban (3/22)
Watkins (3/22)
Basham (3.22)
McQuiade (3.22)

2022 (2) - FA started on 3/16/22

Washington (3/18)
Fowler (3/18)

2023 (5) - FA started on 3/15/22

Jones (3/21)
Edoga (3/21)
Sieg (3/22)
Cooks (3/19) - trade
Gilmore (3/14) - trade

So it definitely seems like we are lagging a bit but our inactivity other than Kendricks isn't all that unusual. So I am not sure one can assume because we've signed just one guy that doesn't indicate this might be some sort of secret tear down. However, do whatever you wish with this data.

fivetwos

Reaction score
A lot has been made of how we have acquired only one player - Kendricks - thus far. We are now 9 days into FA. So I went back over the last 5 offseasons just to compare it to now in terms of when we added players. After 9 days:

Cobb (3/19)
Hyder (3/18)
Covington (3/14)

Nsekhe (3/22)
Urban (3/22)
Watkins (3/22)
Basham (3.22)
McQuiade (3.22)

Washington (3/18)
Fowler (3/18)

Jones (3/21)
Edoga (3/21)
Sieg (3/22)
Cooks (3/19) - trade
Gilmore (3/14) - trade

So it definitely seems like we are lagging a bit but our inactivity other than Kendricks isn't all that unusual. So I am not sure one can assume because we've signed just one guy that doesn't indicate this might be some sort of secret tear down. However, do whatever you wish with this data.
No matter how you look at it it’s a huge pile of crap.

Creeper

Reaction score

Cobb (3/19)
Hyder (3/18)
Covington (3/14)

Nsekhe (3/22)
Urban (3/22)
Watkins (3/22)
Basham (3.22)
McQuiade (3.22)

Washington (3/18)
Fowler (3/18)

Jones (3/21)
Edoga (3/21)
Sieg (3/22)
Cooks (3/19) - trade
Gilmore (3/14) - trade

Did you look at signing our own free agents during those years by any chance? This is where we seem to be lagging from the past. The inactivity signing our own guys seems to be be different.

I really don't think anyone expected the Cowboys to change as far as signing high priced free agents. Jerry's "all in" comment may have had us wishing, but no one really expected us to go out and sign a top player. However, I did expect us to go after one of the DE we lost, one of the DTs, and one of the CBs. We did sign Lewis, but that almost seemed like a concession to the fans after they sat on their hands.

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
The difference with other off seasons is the ratio, including the loss of some of our own good players like Armstrong and Hankins, and relying on players coming back from severe injuries.

Overshown will be playing in his second system before ever having played a single snap in the NFL.

Plus Kendricks is 32, how will he hold up?

Desperado

Reaction score
Did you look at signing our own free agents during those years by any chance? This is where we seem to be lagging from the past. The inactivity signing our own guys seems to be be different.

I really don't think anyone expected the Cowboys to change as far as signing high priced free agents. Jerry's "all in" comment may have had us wishing, but no one really expected us to go out and sign a top player. However, I did expect us to go after one of the DE we lost, one of the DTs, and one of the CBs. We did sign Lewis, but that almost seemed like a concession to the fans after they sat on their hands.
Yeah, that’s the biggest difference. We let a ton of starter and key backup snaps just walk away, creating more huge holes than we had to begin with.

Jipper

Reaction score
I heard that we have sent roughly 11m so far in contracts which is one third of the 2nd lowest (San Diego) at 33m

It's not juat FAs, it's that they are not extending anyone

Sydla

Reaction score

I did not but this is a good point. I will go back and look at that a bit later.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Jerry is still broken by yet another choke job. On one hand, he wants to keep his child, but on the other, his heart is still broken. In another month or two he'll sign his son and then we can pick up some cast-offs and maybe even an old vet. Nothing new, but Jerry appreciates all the guys who are worrying about what he's doing. It's almost like you guys are supporting him. Hey, get some gear while you wait. Spalding and I need new cars.

plasticman

Reaction score
The Cowboys are in a small group of typical "also-rans". They are the Chargers of the NFC. They know they are supposed to win, they just don't know why. Subsequently, they fail to turn their game up later in the season to match the intensity of the real contenders.

This is a management issue that won't change until management changes.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
In past years Jerry did not outright lie to the fanbase right after the worst loss in the playoffs.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
There are two matters in play this offseason: the cap implications of Dak's contract and the Cowboy's tendency of late to "bagain shop" for FA.

Neither are new phenomenon. What appears new (if you believe the rumors) is the Cowboys are considering options for Dak other than extending.

I get the sense that the FO feels they are a long way from the philosophy of "one or two players away" from a championship.

If the Cowboys do anything other than extend Dak, then it appears changes are afoot.

rambo2

Reaction score
No matter how you look at it it’s a huge pile of crap.
Lol, they were a 12 win team. They have a top qb in the conference. They have a top receiver in the league. They have one of the best defensive players in the league. They have a nfl record setting corner. They are already better at linebacker. They could be better at center and running back. They are historically good at drafting.

TwentyOne

Reaction score

Cobb (3/19)
Hyder (3/18)
Covington (3/14)

Nsekhe (3/22)
Urban (3/22)
Watkins (3/22)
Basham (3.22)
McQuiade (3.22)

Washington (3/18)
Fowler (3/18)

Jones (3/21)
Edoga (3/21)
Sieg (3/22)
Cooks (3/19) - trade
Gilmore (3/14) - trade

It not only about the signings. Its because of all the starters we lost. 6 afaik right now.

rambo2

Reaction score
It not only about the signings. Its because of all the starters we lost. 6 afaik right now.
It's funny that you say that. The board would be complaining if they signed them especially at the prices that they got.

Sydla

Reaction score
Lol, they were a 12 win team. They have a top qb in the conference. They have a top receiver in the league. They have one of the best defensive players in the league. They have a nfl record setting corner. They are already better at linebacker. They could be better at center and running back. They are historically good at drafting.
And failed in every postseason for 28 years.

My favorite part here was "They COULD get better at center and running back........."

A lot of things COULD happen.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Yeah whatever already.

And I said nothing about anything other than the list in the OP.

If you think that list is something that’s good, then I don’t really know what to tell you.

Look at the absolute scrub DTs on that list. The “historically good” drafting includes Gallimore, Bohanna, Golston and Osi.

The run defense has stunk since I can recall because of the failure at DT and was slightly more than obvious in the latest playoff embarrassment.

Still waiting for you to admit that two months ago you said how active they would be in free agency and that they needed to be.

Now you’ve shifted to hoping for trades, using the draft picks you’re also counting on.

The philosophy doesn’t add up…and you know damned well that this team got to 12 wins by half the league being in rebuild mode, and Wash and NY being annually awful and beating up on them. When a good team rolls around….such as playoff time…what happens?

Go ahead and further reduce whatever credibility you may have around here by saying these 12 win seasons are going to continue from here and they will finally get over the playoff choking hump.

Jerry and his kid need you.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
The trenches are an absolute mess. They lost two starting OL, one of which was second team all-pro and the other is a multiple time pro bowler. They also lost Hankins, Fowler, and Armstrong...three major contributors, and no replacements. LVE retired, Clark looks like a miss, and Overshown is an unknown. Kendricks is a nice add, but who's going to keep him clean up front? Who is his running mate on run downs?

They could hit on a couple of players in the draft, but they're missing a 4th and you can only expect so much from any group of rookies, much less those that are chosen in later draft slots. I can appreciate the optimism, but realistically this team has downgraded in a big way across the lines.