How are we really doing compared to past years?

rambo2

Reaction score
And failed in every postseason for 28 years.

My favorite part here was "They COULD get better at center and running back........."

A lot of things COULD happen.
Yes, a lot of things could happen. I suspect that they will be better at center and running back, but that depends on the draft.

rambo2

Reaction score
I don't think anyone would have had an issue with Tyron Smith's contract. He's only guaranteed $7MM and the rest comes in incentives, and playing time thresholds.
Some wouldn't and some would.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
A lot has been made of how we have acquired only one player - Kendricks - thus far. We are now 9 days into FA. So I went back over the last 5 offseasons just to compare it to now in terms of when we added players. After 9 days:

2019 (3) - FA started 3/13/19

Cobb (3/19)
Hyder (3/18)
Covington (3/14)

2020 (0) - FA started 3/18/20

2021 (5) - FA started on 3/17/21

Nsekhe (3/22)
Urban (3/22)
Watkins (3/22)
Basham (3.22)
McQuiade (3.22)

2022 (2) - FA started on 3/16/22

Washington (3/18)
Fowler (3/18)

2023 (5) - FA started on 3/15/22

Jones (3/21)
Edoga (3/21)
Sieg (3/22)
Cooks (3/19) - trade
Gilmore (3/14) - trade

So it definitely seems like we are lagging a bit but our inactivity other than Kendricks isn't all that unusual. So I am not sure one can assume because we've signed just one guy that doesn't indicate this might be some sort of secret tear down. However, do whatever you wish with this data.
I don't have any data to back this up. But what feels different to me is all the players we have lost makes it feel more catastrophic.
I wonder if players lost this year is above average?
Feels that way.

Chasing6

Reaction score
A lot has been made of how we have acquired only one player - Kendricks - thus far. We are now 9 days into FA. So I went back over the last 5 offseasons just to compare it to now in terms of when we added players. After 9 days:

Cobb (3/19)
Hyder (3/18)
Covington (3/14)

Nsekhe (3/22)
Urban (3/22)
Watkins (3/22)
Basham (3.22)
McQuiade (3.22)

Washington (3/18)
Fowler (3/18)

Jones (3/21)
Edoga (3/21)
Sieg (3/22)
Cooks (3/19) - trade
Gilmore (3/14) - trade

So it definitely seems like we are lagging a bit but our inactivity other than Kendricks isn't all that unusual. So I am not sure one can assume because we've signed just one guy that doesn't indicate this might be some sort of secret tear down. However, do whatever you wish with this data.
However, you are not factoring in how many of our own free agents we let walk this year. We typically resign a majority of our own.

Reactions: CWR

rambo2

Reaction score
However, you are not factoring in how many of our own free agents we let walk this year. We typically resign a majority of our own.
There's a reason that they let them walk. The one that was questionable was Tyron Smith. The others got overpaid or they can be replaced.

Sydla

Reaction score
There's a reason that they let them walk. The one that was questionable was Tyron Smith. The others got overpaid or they can be replaced.
Fowler got a $3MM deal from Washington. That's another cheap contract Dallas should have considered. Fowler was a quality back up edge player.

So there are two guys that didn't "overpaid" that likely would have been smart moves to bring back given the contracts they signed.

It's inevitable. The more you guys try to justify what Jerry is doing the sillier and sillier you guys eventually end up looking.

rambo2

Reaction score
Fowler got a $3MM deal from Washington. That's another cheap contract Dallas should have considered. Fowler was a quality back up edge player.

So there are two guys that didn't "overpaid" that likely would have been smart moves to bring back given the contracts they signed.

It's inevitable. The more you guys try to justify what Jerry is doing the sillier and sillier you guys eventually end up looking.
Maybe they feel that Fehoko and Williams with be able to replace Fowler and Armstrong.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I know there is a reason. But comparing the none activity in free agency and letting starters walk is not the same as previous years.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I know there is a reason. But comparing the none activity in free agency and letting starters walk is not the same as previous years.
It is a supply and demand league. Players get overpaid all the time.

Chasing6

Reaction score
It is a supply and demand league. Players get overpaid all the time.

MikeT22

Reaction score

The problem is, while many of the guys who left are replaceable, we haven’t replaced any yet with someone as good or better, except for maybe Kendrick’s at LB.

Expecting to get more than one or two starters from the draft is unrealistic, as is expecting backups to the players who left to be upgrades. Or relying on unproven players like Overshown, Fehoko, Richards,Scott who either never got onto the field yet or were inactive the majority of the year.

Blind hope is not a plan.

Chasing6

Reaction score
GM Jethro is tanking the season. It is as simple as that. He is freeing up cap space for the future.

He is in phase 1 of rebuild mode that will take at least 3 years.

Big_D

Reaction score
The odd thing is none of those players were good enough to get them over the hump which is the big problem. The approach doesn't work. The whole idea is to be better than the year before and actually strive for a championship when that is in reach, not scrape the bottom of the barrel for those bargains that never amount to more than what you're already getting.

CWR

Reaction score

Cobb (3/19)
Hyder (3/18)
Covington (3/14)

Nsekhe (3/22)
Urban (3/22)
Watkins (3/22)
Basham (3.22)
McQuiade (3.22)

Washington (3/18)
Fowler (3/18)

Jones (3/21)
Edoga (3/21)
Sieg (3/22)
Cooks (3/19) - trade
Gilmore (3/14) - trade

Unlike past years we have lost our starting LT, C, RB, DT, a couple of highly used rotational DE etc.

The story of this off-season isn't outside FAs. It's about who we lost and how we did nothing to replace them, to this point.

Chasing6

Reaction score
The odd thing is none of those players were good enough to get them over the hump which is the big problem. The approach doesn't work. The whole idea is to be better than the year before and actually strive for a championship when that is in reach, not scrape the bottom of the barrel for those bargains that never amount to more than what you're already getting.
That is why it is funny to keep blaming Dak. Our GM philosophy is Superstars not Teams, win SB's.

Good teams know how to neutralize your Super Stars. They take away your strengths and force you to beat them with your weaknesses, because we are not a balanced team.

When you are not balanced, you become very predictable and easy to defeat. Simple as that.

Every team in the NFL should double CD and Parsons all game long.

CWR

Reaction score
Maybe they feel that Fehoko and Williams with be able to replace Fowler and Armstrong.
They probably do, and they are probably wrong. They do this crap all the time. They did it at WR the year we traded for Coop. They've done it at RB a couple times. LB etc.

Most of the time they take a leap like that and plug in an unknown, unestablished player it doesn't go well.

We didn't lose an insurmountable amount of talent, but we did lose talent/depth. Our plan appears to be to replace them with our backups and replace backups with draft picks. It's a risky proposition for a team supposedly on the verge of a superbowl. It also a nice illustration of why we can't get over the hump. Three 12 win seasons, and we fold come FA.