How bad is Mazi?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Coog's Breakdown

1) You see why we don't draft DT's early
2) Once he gets to Carpenter/Taco bad, there's no hope
3) HE's not as bad as the posters on here that bash other cowboys fans for having an opinion, but they choose to stoop to negative comments, calling people's posts idiotic, etc when it's not necessary. Yet when they're attacked they start to get emotional!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I know in some respect these are getting as popular as Dak threads, but I had some time this morning and wanted to do a semi deep dive into the guy from the Philly game as he should be getting a bump in snaps this week. This is going to be a simple +/- or no grade scale so it'll be pretty basic like a PFF type of score so take from that what you will.

Eagles Game
Q1
7:18 - Mazi on the field, false start offense, Mazi taken out. No grade

:50 - Lined up at 3T, No issues with the get off, screen play, Mazi reads it and falls back, Philly with a nice design here sending #0 to the right side to make it look like a screen to the right, ends up going to #88 on the left. Mazi a non factor, read the play but to the wrong side. No grade.

:12 - Lined up at 3T, Slightly slow off the ball, gets absolutely destroyed and washed out of the play. -

Q2
3:07 - Lined up at 3T, no issues with the get off, pass play, runs into a C/G double team. Both DTs slanted to the right, Mazi makes a move to go around the C, but overall a pretty weak rush move. No grade

2:33 - 3T, No issues with the get off, Pass play, draws the double team, but no impact on the play. No grade

Q3
14:24 - No issues getting off the ball, Holds ground, zero penetration, draws double team, nice split of the double team but it came too late. Solid gain in Mazi's direction but #1 and #14 were both unblocked because Mazi kept the double team engaged and they should have made the play for a minimal gain. I'll give Mazi a +

13:40 - No issues getting off the ball again, pass play, straight bullrush move and not a very good one, #90 came untouched forcing the ball out quick. No grade

12:02 - Slow get off, pass play, straight bull rush move and a much better one this time. Gets his arms extended on the Olineman and looks to have him off balance. Not a bad play by Mazi but seems to lack a pass rush move off the bull rush, if he had one he was in perfect position to execute on this play but didn't. No grade

11:56 - Slight delay on the get off, trap play by Philly, Mazi gets easily washed down. From the All 22 tape his first step was inside like he was supposed to be A gap which played right into the play Philly had on. I think this is simply right play at the right time by Philly but gotta give Mazi a - as he needs to read that better and at least do a better job of fighting back once the G starts to wash him down like that.

2:52 - No issues with the get off, RPO turned pass, Mazi gets washed out of the play as he plays the run. A non factor in the play but he is playing his responsibilities here. No grade

2:19 - No issues with the get off, 1v1 from either a 2 or 3T, couldn't tell for sure with the G and Mazi does a nice job of holding ground. RB runs right into a wall of players (mazi included) for a loss of 1. +

1:34 - No issues with the get off, pass play, Mazi takes on two players (C/G) with a straight bull rush, falls down when DLaw runs into him from behind - No grade

Q4
9:40 - No issues with the get off, pass play, singled up on the G and just holds ground. Good job getting his hands up, extended, and to the chest of the G but the rip move he uses is pretty weak. No grade

Notes:

* His official snap count was 13, I only found 12
* Strictly a 3T until the Hankins injury
* I gave him 2 +, 2-, and a bunch of nothing
* Him being slow off the ball seems to be overblow. Happens on occasion but not a consistent issue.
* Constantly in a stance with his weight back. This tells me the Cowboys are not asking him to be the explosive player we want him to be, and are letting him be more of a read/react guy, which aligns with his college film. This will be an interesting piece to watch next season with Mazi. If they alter his stance over the offseason it'll be a sign that we are going to see a different style of play from Mazi.
* Small sample size but it seems difficult to move Mazi 1v1, although if you can get him off balance he's basically on wheels.
* Seems to be improving on playing the double team
* The trap play was worrisome to me. Granted it's easy for a 1T to get washed down on those traps he has to fight through it better. Goes back to he's tough to beat straight up, but it seems teams can attack him from an angle easily.
* Excellent bull rush as a pass rusher, did a nice job a times getting extension and his hands in place to make a move, but clearly needs work on his moves that play off the bull rush

Clearly a project player still, but I see what the Cowboys liked in the guy. I haven't really watched Mazi film since early in the year and must say it looks much better right now. As a pass rusher he's clearly got potential but still needs to really develop actual moves. His bull rush will play at this level, and works well with his hands, but he needs something to play off it to actually get pressure on a QB. Right now his best attribute on passing downs is probably as a slow rusher who can move laterally to take away the run lanes for the QB. As a run stuffer I actually didn't hate what I saw. Granted I was expecting the tape to be horrid in this area I didn't notice a huge difference from when Hankins was in the game. The key for Mazi with getting more snaps is really going to be avoiding the ugly plays rather than making more plays. If I'm Buffalo I'm getting some run plays ready where I can throw some traps, reach blocks, etc Mazis way to see if I can move him and open up the middle.
why is he playing 3T? perhaps they wanted beef and size up front in early downs. he is defintley not a fast twitch guy and he is a 1T. he has the size to take on double teams at 1T, but definitely needs a lot of offseason work on his technique. right now he is just back up material.

TheCritic

Reaction score
What else is McCarthy supposed to say? I’m sure he’s improved some over the course of the season, but it’s hard to notice, because of his light workload. If he was playing real well, he would be playing more. With Hankins out he’s going to have to play more and it will start to become evident if he’s improving or not.
You answered your own question. Since Hankins was playing well, no need to play Mazi more than they needed to.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
KJJ has a track record for hitting on some of his negative predictions, such as Deuce Vaughn. So I won't go all sour on him/her. Me personally, I thought Mazi was a 2nd round prospect who got drafted too high and needed more development time, which is essentially what happened. Maybe he wouldn't have been available in the 2nd, which would explain why the Cowboys took him in the 1st. But that's not the player's fault. Blame the Cowboys. KJJ should know better, but he gets trigger-happy with his opinions, as if he's going to get paid something extra to go along side his/her welfare check.
He's right about deuce........for now

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Blame the Cowboys. KJJ should know better, but he gets trigger-happy with his opinions, as if he's going to get paid something extra to go along side his/her welfare check.
Just because I proved you wrong on Vaughn, no need to make this personal. :thumbup:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
He’s been a bust. That’s how bad he’s been. With Hankins out he’s going to have to play more. If he doesn’t play well, the team will be looking for another DT during the offseason. No way can we bank on Mazi going into next season if he doesn’t start showing some noticeable improvement.
I don't often write somebody off as a bust, until after the second season. we expected him to come in and be good, he is not. despite being drafted in first round, IMHO, there is usualy 1bout 15-16 players who are truly first rounders and then after that its second round material and then depends on how you rank them based on need.

he definitely needs some off season work, on his technique and getoff. he is not suited for 3T, which if I read correctly above, he is playing a bunch. he should be our 1T DT

TheCritic

Reaction score
Coog's Breakdown

1) You see why we don't draft DT's early
2) Once he gets to Carpenter/Taco bad, there's no hope
3) HE's not as bad as the posters on here that bash other cowboys fans for having an opinion, but they choose to stoop to negative comments, calling people's posts idiotic, etc when it's not necessary. Yet when they're attacked they start to get emotional!
It happens. We all sometimes get sucked into our own propaganda and our needs to be heard over the internet LOL

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It happens. We all sometimes get sucked into our own propaganda and our needs to be heard over the internet LOL
Yeah but it goes too far for people to be tough behind their computers, in the end we're all cowboys fans

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You answered your own question. Since Hankins was playing well, no need to play Mazi more than they needed to.
Hankins has outplayed him which I don’t think the Cowboys expected when they used a first round pick on Mazi. By now they probably figured or at least hoped Mazi would’ve overtaken Hankins. Hankins has been the better player which is why he was getting a lot more snaps.

lkelly

Reaction score
Sounds like what you'd expect to date from a day 3 pick. Compare his stats to Gallimore's rookie year, Odighizuwa's, or even John Ridgway's in Washington and it's not good. He's trending towards Bohanna's stat line.

He'll get a lot of PT coming up unless he's so bad that a practice squad guy is a better option. If that ends up happening, it will be hard to find the right shade of lipstick.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
He’s been a bust. That’s how bad he’s been. With Hankins out he’s going to have to play more. If he doesn’t play well, the team will be looking for another DT during the offseason. No way can we bank on Mazi going into next season if he doesn’t start showing some noticeable improvement.
Care to take a look at Jalen Carter video against Cowboy OL for two games? Jalen Carter played 35 snaps and had 1 tackle last game. Other than that scoop and score he was utterly dominated.

TheCritic

Reaction score
Just because I proved you wrong on Vaughn, no need to make this personal. :thumbup:
The verdict on Vaughn is still out, but to be fair, I tend to agree somewhat with you about the likelihood of Vaughn succeeding in the NFL. And maybe Turpin's emergence this season rendered Vaughn as unnecessary for the moment. Again, he's a rookie. Why prejudge him? I'm willing to see what happens with him next season before making some declaration.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I don't often write somebody off as a bust, until after the second season. we expected him to come in and be good, he is not. despite being drafted in first round, IMHO, there is usualy 1bout 15-16 players who are truly first rounders and then after that its second round material and then depends on how you rank them based on need.

he definitely needs some off season work, on his technique and getoff. he is not suited for 3T, which if I read correctly above, he is playing a bunch. he should be our 1T DT
I don’t often write someone off as a bust either, but I did with Taco and Tristan Hill. Mazi hasn’t looked any better than those two and we’re 13 games into the regular season. He may end up being serviceable, but I don’t see him ever becoming a great player and I’ll be surprised if he sees a second contract with the team.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Care to take a look at Jalen Carter video against Cowboy OL for two games? Jalen Carter played 35 snaps and had 1 tackle last game. Other than that scoop and score he was utterly dominated.
I wouldn’t be comparing Jalen Carter with Mazi. No player is going to be great every game, but Carter is having a terrific rookie season. Mazi hasn’t been half the player Carter has been.

https://www.si.com/nfl/eagles/news/...len-carter-pro-football-focus-rookie-rankings

https://amp.foxsports.com/stories/n...-already-be-one-of-nfl-best-defensive-players

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
LOL slow off the ball not an issue. He's the last player off almost every snap. It's incredible to watch. That he can't take snaps away from a player as unimpressive as Jonathan Hankins couldn't be more of a red flag.

Big D

Reaction score
He was a first round pick, and should be playing better than he has. The jury is still out and we’re all pulling for him. I’ll be as happy as anyone if he starts living up to his draft status. If I’m wrong about him, I’ll be the first one to admit it. I’m not going anywhere, that’s not my style.
He's a rookie, there's no way in the world he's going to come fresh out of school and dominate grown men in the trenches. Give him another year to get his body right. He knows what to expect now so he'll be different next season and even better the following. We needed the DT position filled after the first loss to San Francisco in the playoffs. Jerry just reacted 3 years too late.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
LOL slow off the ball not an issue. He's the last player off almost every snap. It's incredible to watch. That he can't take snaps away from a player as unimpressive as Jonathan Hankins couldn't be more of a red flag.
Every mazi play has a time stamp in the original post. Let me know which ones you think I got wrong and I would be happy to review.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
His deal is kind of puzzling to me. He had a really good game 4-5 or so weeks ago and since then hasn’t really had many snaps. I remember most everybody agreeing he was finally getting it and then nothing. Not sure what happened.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He's a rookie, there's no way in the world he's going to come fresh out of school and dominate grown men in the trenches. Give him another year to get his body right. He knows what to expect now so he'll be different next season and even better the following. We needed the DT position filled after the first loss to San Francisco in the playoffs. Jerry just reacted 3 years too late.
Everyone keeps using the excuse he’s a rookie but he was also a first round pick, and should be looking better than he has. Jalen Carter is a rookie and has looked terrific. CJ Stroud is a rookie and is playing the most difficult position in the NFL and is having a terrific season. Bland was a rookie sixth round pick last year, playing one of the most difficult positions in football and had a good rookie season. Mazi will be given every opportunity like Taco and Tristan Hill to start coming around. We needed the DT position filled, and it appears we reached to try and fill it and so far it’s been a mistake. With Hankins out we’ll see how Mazi fairs. We’ll have a better idea of where he is in the coming weeks.

TheCritic

Reaction score
Everyone keeps using the excuse he’s a rookie but he was also a first round pick, and should be looking better than he has. Jalen Carter is a rookie and has looked terrific. CJ Stroud is a rookie and is playing the most difficult position in the NFL and is having a terrific season. Bland was a rookie sixth round pick last year, playing one of the most difficult positions in football and had a good rookie season. Mazi will be given every opportunity like Taco and Tristan Hill to start coming around. We needed the DT position filled, and it appears we reached to try and fill it and so far it’s been a mistake. With Hankins out we’ll see how Mazi fairs. We’ll have a better idea of where he is in the coming weeks.
As others have said to you many times, when a team drafts in the bottom of the 1st round, the odds of hitting on a ready to play rookie aren't as high. Even the great CeeDee Lamb wasn't a rookie sensation and it took him a couple of years to really get going. Just chill with your unrealistic expectations!