How bad is Mazi?

pitt33

Reaction score
A bust? Only in the eyes that don't know what is being asked of him at this point. He was ever asked to be a pass rusher in college. And they plan to work him into that for Dallas. It can't happen all in one year for most players.

He is abust to many because he does not have 25 sacks already, for something not asked of him. He is doing what he is supposed to do. Did you read all the play breakdowns in the OP.
Double teamed...that is his assignment for now. That allows other players, the actual pass rushers to be free to get to the QB or the RB.
He’s still a bust.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
As others have said to you many times, when a team drafts in the bottom of the 1st round, the odds of hitting on a ready to play rookie aren't as high. Even the great CeeDee Lamb wasn't a rookie sensation and it took him a couple of years to really get going. Just chill with your unrealistic expectations!
I don’t care what others say, check my track record compared to theirs. :thumbup: As for CeeDee he had a very good rookie season. He had almost 1000 yards with 5 TDs on a team that lost their starting QB in week five. Plus the Cowboys had a bad team because the defense was historically bad. You could tell as a rookie CeeDee was going to be a great player. I wouldn’t be comparing what we saw with him as a rookie with what we’re seeing from Mazi. He compares favorably to Bobby Carpenter, Taco and Tristan Hill. We have a lot of talent on defense and he should be looking better than he has. Plus he’s not having to play a lot so he’s being kept fresh. You’re saying my expectations of Mazi are unrealistic? I’m just wanting him to look solid and show improvement every week. How unrealistic is that?

TheCritic

Reaction score
Just remember: the size of a keyboard warrior's opinion correlates with the size of their welfare check!

kskboys

Reaction score
A bust? Only in the eyes that don't know what is being asked of him at this point. He was ever asked to be a pass rusher in college. And they plan to work him into that for Dallas. It can't happen all in one year for most players.

He is abust to many because he does not have 25 sacks already, for something not asked of him. He is doing what he is supposed to do. Did you read all the play breakdowns in the OP.
Double teamed...that is his assignment for now. That allows other players, the actual pass rushers to be free to get to the QB or the RB.
Yeah, I ignored that post as it was obvious he had failed to do any reading before posting.

kskboys

Reaction score
I still laugh when I see posters call a rookie a bust. Especially one that has shown improvement from the start of the season. I know we have been spoiled with multiple first round picks in the last decade or so hitting the ground running and been a pro bowl or even all pro caliber player from day 1, but kids playing a position that normally takes a few years to catch on in. He’s a long term investment. We made the short term investment in Hankins to counter act this. Some yall just need to chill :laugh:
Plus, he was a late 1st. Monster of a difference between a top 10 or top 20 pick and the 26th pick in the draft.

Brooksey

Reaction score
Anyone calling a NT a bust in their rookie year with limited opportunity doesn't know the position.

Expect him to show more with additional reps in the next few weeks.

Big D

Reaction score
Everyone keeps using the excuse he’s a rookie but he was also a first round pick, and should be looking better than he has. Jalen Carter is a rookie and has looked terrific. CJ Stroud is a rookie and is playing the most difficult position in the NFL and is having a terrific season. Bland was a rookie sixth round pick last year, playing one of the most difficult positions in football and had a good rookie season. Mazi will be given every opportunity like Taco and Tristan Hill to start coming around. We needed the DT position filled, and it appears we reached to try and fill it and so far it’s been a mistake. With Hankins out we’ll see how Mazi fairs. We’ll have a better idea of where he is in the coming weeks.
Jalen Carter has 3 more tackles and a sack over Mazi at this point. If he looks terrific how does similar play make Mazi a bust? And for Stroud, playing off the ball is entirely different. I don't think it was a mistake, it was just 3 seasons late. He's was never going to dominate in year 1 but I think he'll be fine.

TheCritic

Reaction score
I don’t care what others say, check my track record compared to theirs. :thumbup: As for CeeDee he had a very good rookie season. He had almost 1000 yards with 5 TDs on a team that lost their starting QB in week five. Plus the Cowboys had a bad team because the defense was historically bad. You could tell as a rookie CeeDee was going to be a great player. I wouldn’t be comparing what we saw with him as a rookie with what we’re seeing from Mazi. He compares favorably to Bobby Carpenter, Taco and Tristan Hill. We have a lot of talent on defense and he should be looking better than he has. Plus he’s not having to play a lot so he’s being kept fresh. You’re saying my expectations of Mazi are unrealistic? I’m just wanting him to look solid and show improvement every week. How unrealistic is that?
Wasn't trying to make a direct comparison between CeeDee and Mazi. Just pointing out fans expectations and how disappointed fans were at the time that CeeDee wasn't an All Pro and whining about us not taking Justin Jefferson. Face it sir/ma'am, you are being premature on Mazi. Don't get ahead of your welfare check LOL.

Praxit

Reaction score
..I'll say this, good thing they brought up DT Davis.

I saw few plays Mazi Vs Beags.

He couldn't get off the blocks fast enough. The runner had already passed LOS.

On another, the RB ran right through his hole. In fact it was the play, right after Hankins went out.

He's a work in progress. But with post season looming. The early exits are REAL.

Better get someone else, in batters circle.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I'm curious what fans are watching. I mean, he's not elite right out of the box, but he's been playing fine with the rotational snaps he's gotten. I think it comes down to not understanding what his role is. I see power and strength. I see him taking on many double teams. He's got a motor, let him develop.
They all work together, we have a great D line.

Hardline

Reaction score
Drafting J'Vondre Sweat solves the DT issues regardless of how Mazi develops.

Sweat will be everything we want Mazi to be on day one.

Big D

Reaction score
Drafting J'Vondre Sweat solves the DT issues regardless of how Mazi develops.

Sweat will be everything we want Mazi to be on day one.
I can guarantee it won't be from day one. It doesn't mean not to go get him , just that his first season will more than likely mirror Mazi's.

Hardline

Reaction score
I can guarantee it won't be from day one. It doesn't mean not to go get him , just that his first season will more than likely mirror Mazi's.
Sweat's college career looks more like Jalen Carter's than Mazi Smith's.
Sweat will make an impact even as a rookie.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
I know in some respect these are getting as popular as Dak threads, but I had some time this morning and wanted to do a semi deep dive into the guy from the Philly game as he should be getting a bump in snaps this week. This is going to be a simple +/- or no grade scale so it'll be pretty basic like a PFF type of score so take from that what you will.

Eagles Game
Q1
7:18 - Mazi on the field, false start offense, Mazi taken out. No grade

:50 - Lined up at 3T, No issues with the get off, screen play, Mazi reads it and falls back, Philly with a nice design here sending #0 to the right side to make it look like a screen to the right, ends up going to #88 on the left. Mazi a non factor, read the play but to the wrong side. No grade.

:12 - Lined up at 3T, Slightly slow off the ball, gets absolutely destroyed and washed out of the play. -

Q2
3:07 - Lined up at 3T, no issues with the get off, pass play, runs into a C/G double team. Both DTs slanted to the right, Mazi makes a move to go around the C, but overall a pretty weak rush move. No grade

2:33 - 3T, No issues with the get off, Pass play, draws the double team, but no impact on the play. No grade

Q3
14:24 - No issues getting off the ball, Holds ground, zero penetration, draws double team, nice split of the double team but it came too late. Solid gain in Mazi's direction but #1 and #14 were both unblocked because Mazi kept the double team engaged and they should have made the play for a minimal gain. I'll give Mazi a +

13:40 - No issues getting off the ball again, pass play, straight bullrush move and not a very good one, #90 came untouched forcing the ball out quick. No grade

12:02 - Slow get off, pass play, straight bull rush move and a much better one this time. Gets his arms extended on the Olineman and looks to have him off balance. Not a bad play by Mazi but seems to lack a pass rush move off the bull rush, if he had one he was in perfect position to execute on this play but didn't. No grade

11:56 - Slight delay on the get off, trap play by Philly, Mazi gets easily washed down. From the All 22 tape his first step was inside like he was supposed to be A gap which played right into the play Philly had on. I think this is simply right play at the right time by Philly but gotta give Mazi a - as he needs to read that better and at least do a better job of fighting back once the G starts to wash him down like that.

2:52 - No issues with the get off, RPO turned pass, Mazi gets washed out of the play as he plays the run. A non factor in the play but he is playing his responsibilities here. No grade

2:19 - No issues with the get off, 1v1 from either a 2 or 3T, couldn't tell for sure with the G and Mazi does a nice job of holding ground. RB runs right into a wall of players (mazi included) for a loss of 1. +

1:34 - No issues with the get off, pass play, Mazi takes on two players (C/G) with a straight bull rush, falls down when DLaw runs into him from behind - No grade

Q4
9:40 - No issues with the get off, pass play, singled up on the G and just holds ground. Good job getting his hands up, extended, and to the chest of the G but the rip move he uses is pretty weak. No grade

Notes:

* His official snap count was 13, I only found 12
* Strictly a 3T until the Hankins injury
* I gave him 2 +, 2-, and a bunch of nothing
* Him being slow off the ball seems to be overblow. Happens on occasion but not a consistent issue.
* Constantly in a stance with his weight back. This tells me the Cowboys are not asking him to be the explosive player we want him to be, and are letting him be more of a read/react guy, which aligns with his college film. This will be an interesting piece to watch next season with Mazi. If they alter his stance over the offseason it'll be a sign that we are going to see a different style of play from Mazi.
* Small sample size but it seems difficult to move Mazi 1v1, although if you can get him off balance he's basically on wheels.
* Seems to be improving on playing the double team
* The trap play was worrisome to me. Granted it's easy for a 1T to get washed down on those traps he has to fight through it better. Goes back to he's tough to beat straight up, but it seems teams can attack him from an angle easily.
* Excellent bull rush as a pass rusher, did a nice job a times getting extension and his hands in place to make a move, but clearly needs work on his moves that play off the bull rush

Clearly a project player still, but I see what the Cowboys liked in the guy. I haven't really watched Mazi film since early in the year and must say it looks much better right now. As a pass rusher he's clearly got potential but still needs to really develop actual moves. His bull rush will play at this level, and works well with his hands, but he needs something to play off it to actually get pressure on a QB. Right now his best attribute on passing downs is probably as a slow rusher who can move laterally to take away the run lanes for the QB. As a run stuffer I actually didn't hate what I saw. Granted I was expecting the tape to be horrid in this area I didn't notice a huge difference from when Hankins was in the game. The key for Mazi with getting more snaps is really going to be avoiding the ugly plays rather than making more plays. If I'm Buffalo I'm getting some run plays ready where I can throw some traps, reach blocks, etc Mazis way to see if I can move him and open up the middle.
Too soon to know. It takes time for some players to develop, while others hit the ground running. Take Donovan Wilson vs. Micah Parsons: Wilson didn’t break out until his 4th season, while Parsons was a beast from day 1.

Another example is DeMarcus Lawrence. Do you want to really know why the Cowboys picked Taco Charlton over T.J. Watt in 2017? It is because DeMarcus Lawrence, the player they traded a 2nd and 3rd round pick to get in 2013, was looking like a bust. 3 really mediocre seasons, and Taco was drafted to replace him. Then, all of the sudden, Lawrence busted out 2 great seasons in a row, and Taco became an afterthought. Since then, Lawrence has consistently been a top 5 receiver run defense DE in the NFL, and provide decent, but not great pass rush. Even this year, he’s consistently one of the top defenders on the team.

But it took until year 4 for him to develop. I have no idea how long it will take for Mazi to develop, or if he’ll prove to be a bust - like Claiborne and Charlton. But I do know it is too soon to make a judgement for his career. As for this season, certainly he been a bit of a disappointment.

But one quick question: other than Jalen Carter, have any other rookie DT’s been balling out this season. Maybe there has been another, but I’m not aware of any rookie DT other than Carter playing really well.