How bad is Mazi?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I wish DQ gave me the inside info he is giving some of yall calling him a bust...must be nice to know what his assignments are....ooh wait, its just another "Shot in the dark" because he isnt doing what some of the fans think he should be assigned to doing..Dq needs to watch his back with some of the ready made DC's on this forum..

thunderpimp91

Reaction score

On another, the RB ran right through his hole. In fact it was the play, right after Hankins went out.

Better get someone else, in batters circle.
This is the stuff you guys need to help me out on, because I just don't understand where you're coming from at all...and I literally mean at all. That play was at 14:24 in the 3rd Quarter and I thought it was one of Mazi's best plays of the night. He forced the double team which freed up two defenders at the second level who should have made the play before they did. The issue on that play seemed to be about the backers not filling rather than Mazi getting beat. I'd absolutely love to hear an alternate breakdown if I'm evaluating that play completely wrong. i mean if we want to really pick on the guy we can say he didn't split the double team in time to make the play, but that's pretty trivial in that situation IMO.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
This is the stuff you guys need to help me out on, because I just don't understand where you're coming from at all...and I literally mean at all. That play was at 14:24 in the 3rd Quarter and I thought it was one of Mazi's best plays of the night. He forced the double team which freed up two defenders at the second level who should have made the play before they did. The issue on that play seemed to be about the backers not filling rather than Mazi getting beat. I'd absolutely love to hear an alternate breakdown if I'm evaluating that play completely wrong. i mean if we want to really pick on the guy we can say he didn't split the double team in time to make the play, but that's pretty trivial in that situation IMO.
your breakdown was good, just like everyone else we all would be guessing on what DQ is actually asking him to do and how well he is doing it..if DQ doesnt trust Mazi we will know soon enough.

Praxit

Reaction score
..good points. Maybe I saw.it wrong?

It's possible that Mazi did a good job. I'll have check out the game again. And get back to you

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
..good points. Maybe I saw.it wrong?

It's possible that Mazi did a good job. I'll have check out the game again. And get back to you
All good bro, I'm not trying to go all Mazi fan boy either, there is plenty to knock the guy on. I'm just seeing a lot of false narratives floating around, or at least false compared to what I'm seeing. I'm open to people challenging my takes on it but I'm gonna push back a little when those takes aren't adding up.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
I know in some respect these are getting as popular as Dak threads, but I had some time this morning and wanted to do a semi deep dive into the guy from the Philly game as he should be getting a bump in snaps this week. This is going to be a simple +/- or no grade scale so it'll be pretty basic like a PFF type of score so take from that what you will.

Eagles Game
Q1
7:18 - Mazi on the field, false start offense, Mazi taken out. No grade

:50 - Lined up at 3T, No issues with the get off, screen play, Mazi reads it and falls back, Philly with a nice design here sending #0 to the right side to make it look like a screen to the right, ends up going to #88 on the left. Mazi a non factor, read the play but to the wrong side. No grade.

:12 - Lined up at 3T, Slightly slow off the ball, gets absolutely destroyed and washed out of the play. -

Q2
3:07 - Lined up at 3T, no issues with the get off, pass play, runs into a C/G double team. Both DTs slanted to the right, Mazi makes a move to go around the C, but overall a pretty weak rush move. No grade

2:33 - 3T, No issues with the get off, Pass play, draws the double team, but no impact on the play. No grade

Q3
14:24 - No issues getting off the ball, Holds ground, zero penetration, draws double team, nice split of the double team but it came too late. Solid gain in Mazi's direction but #1 and #14 were both unblocked because Mazi kept the double team engaged and they should have made the play for a minimal gain. I'll give Mazi a +

13:40 - No issues getting off the ball again, pass play, straight bullrush move and not a very good one, #90 came untouched forcing the ball out quick. No grade

12:02 - Slow get off, pass play, straight bull rush move and a much better one this time. Gets his arms extended on the Olineman and looks to have him off balance. Not a bad play by Mazi but seems to lack a pass rush move off the bull rush, if he had one he was in perfect position to execute on this play but didn't. No grade

11:56 - Slight delay on the get off, trap play by Philly, Mazi gets easily washed down. From the All 22 tape his first step was inside like he was supposed to be A gap which played right into the play Philly had on. I think this is simply right play at the right time by Philly but gotta give Mazi a - as he needs to read that better and at least do a better job of fighting back once the G starts to wash him down like that.

2:52 - No issues with the get off, RPO turned pass, Mazi gets washed out of the play as he plays the run. A non factor in the play but he is playing his responsibilities here. No grade

2:19 - No issues with the get off, 1v1 from either a 2 or 3T, couldn't tell for sure with the G and Mazi does a nice job of holding ground. RB runs right into a wall of players (mazi included) for a loss of 1. +

1:34 - No issues with the get off, pass play, Mazi takes on two players (C/G) with a straight bull rush, falls down when DLaw runs into him from behind - No grade

Q4
9:40 - No issues with the get off, pass play, singled up on the G and just holds ground. Good job getting his hands up, extended, and to the chest of the G but the rip move he uses is pretty weak. No grade

Notes:

* His official snap count was 13, I only found 12
* Strictly a 3T until the Hankins injury
* I gave him 2 +, 2-, and a bunch of nothing
* Him being slow off the ball seems to be overblow. Happens on occasion but not a consistent issue.
* Constantly in a stance with his weight back. This tells me the Cowboys are not asking him to be the explosive player we want him to be, and are letting him be more of a read/react guy, which aligns with his college film. This will be an interesting piece to watch next season with Mazi. If they alter his stance over the offseason it'll be a sign that we are going to see a different style of play from Mazi.
* Small sample size but it seems difficult to move Mazi 1v1, although if you can get him off balance he's basically on wheels.
* Seems to be improving on playing the double team
* The trap play was worrisome to me. Granted it's easy for a 1T to get washed down on those traps he has to fight through it better. Goes back to he's tough to beat straight up, but it seems teams can attack him from an angle easily.
* Excellent bull rush as a pass rusher, did a nice job a times getting extension and his hands in place to make a move, but clearly needs work on his moves that play off the bull rush

Clearly a project player still, but I see what the Cowboys liked in the guy. I haven't really watched Mazi film since early in the year and must say it looks much better right now. As a pass rusher he's clearly got potential but still needs to really develop actual moves. His bull rush will play at this level, and works well with his hands, but he needs something to play off it to actually get pressure on a QB. Right now his best attribute on passing downs is probably as a slow rusher who can move laterally to take away the run lanes for the QB. As a run stuffer I actually didn't hate what I saw. Granted I was expecting the tape to be horrid in this area I didn't notice a huge difference from when Hankins was in the game. The key for Mazi with getting more snaps is really going to be avoiding the ugly plays rather than making more plays. If I'm Buffalo I'm getting some run plays ready where I can throw some traps, reach blocks, etc Mazis way to see if I can move him and open up the middle.
He's flat-out pitiful....................

blueblood70

Reaction score
You know these are cringe worthy type threads. over and over and over same nartive Mazis a bust and schoonmakers was waste,, UGHH

I appreciate the hard work the original poster did to go into this but man do I have to keep bringing up that the Eagles took Jordan Davis 13th overall and he literally had to look a lot like this last year as a rookie and then he improved so far this year in fact if you're telling me that Mazi has not been playing a nose tackle position at every snap this year and that they've been making them a three tech and other things that he's not well there's your problem right there maybe one of these days when he becomes a full time nose tackle going into his second season and we'll have a really good judgment by season three when the Cowboys cut him or not then we can be the judge if not it's still one of the hardest positions really to judge because they're not gonna show up in many stat lines he is not a three tech he is not a pass rusher he is not a defensive end he's not even a tweener the man belongs at nose tackle and until he's there full time for 17 straight games I'm really tired of hearing this literally Jordan Davis struggled last year and he was 13th overall that means he must have been a project because he didn't do a whole lot last year but now he's making some progress, he's starting to look like the guy they were hoping he'd be.... that is what you call most players taking into draft are not ready not even in the first round we see quarterbacks that take three or four years we see other positions that at first you thought they weren't very good and then they develop you have to sometimes be coached up and give it a chance before you can call somebody a bust project or reach.

That's the whole entire premise of this draft nobody likes Schoonmaker, they think he's a waste blah blah blah

I will trust the coaches pick these players for good reasons and until they actually fail tell my support these guys and I'm really tired of hearing how bad a draft this is look when you're in a back-to-back twelve win seasons when you go into a draft with very little need because they filled those with Gilmore and cooks and they still had guys from the year before that are developing, you have to just wait and see..

Again, a true pure nose tackle is very difficult to actually judge with your eyes because you don't know what his assignments were you don't really know and if you until you slow mode every single snap of his to see what he was supposed to do and did he actually do it.....​

pitt33

Reaction score
We will see. Are you a coach on the team to see every day?
Nope.

I’m in my lanai sitting by my pool in SW Florida.

The few plays he made - several weeks ago - were a result of him being unblocked.

The Cowboys don’t miss on many 1st rounders but this guy should have gone in the 7th.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nope.
I’m in my lanai sitting by my pool in SW Florida.
The few plays he made - several weeks ago - were a result of him being unblocked.
The Cowboys don’t miss on many 1st rounders but this guy should have gone in the 7th.
:lmao:
Too many drinks by the pool?

I have a place on the Atlantic coast in South Florida. But here in Texas now. Kind of wish I was there now. But can't travel until end of January at the earliest.

pitt33

Reaction score
:lmao:
Too many drinks by the pool?

I have a place on the Atlantic coast in South Florida. But here in Texas now. Kind of wish I was there now. But can't travel until end of January at the earliest.
Haha.

No drinks…yet.

Thanks to El Niño, this month has been cooler and cloudier.

kskboys

Reaction score
Haha.

No drinks…yet.

December has been cooler and cloudier here. Thanks to El Niño.
No drinks yet? That's why no one will remember you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't forget, drinks stay cool longer if it's cold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Yes, IDL are developed, not instantly drafted and performing, no matter how high in the draft they go.
Some do perform immediately but those are few and far between. This isn't drafting wide receivers these days lol

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
As others have said to you many times, when a team drafts in the bottom of the 1st round, the odds of hitting on a ready to play rookie aren't as high. Even the great CeeDee Lamb wasn't a rookie sensation and it took him a couple of years to really get going. Just chill with your unrealistic expectations!

Ceedee had over 70 catches and 900 yards receiving and started almost every game. He's the epitome of what you hope to get out of a rookie 1st rounder.

The revisionist history that goes on in these threads from everyone trying to pretend Mazi isn't a disaster...