How bad is Mazi?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Ah yes. 13 games into his career…it’s settled. Freaks like Parsons don’t grow on trees, so it’s unwise to assume everyone will come in rolling.

They have his rights for 4+ years, they are going to do everything in their will to get him to play the way they need him to. He’ll be fine. He has the power, the rest will follow.
Yes, 13 games into his career and we’re still seeing the same issues with him we saw in training camp and preseason. Funny, but many of us are having the same arguments about him we had about Taco and Tristan Hill. There were a lot of fans making apologies for those two as rookies. The jury is still out on Mazi but he’s off to a very slow start in his career and he needs to start picking it up starting on Sunday. No one expected him to look like a freak, but most expected him to look better than he has.

lukin2006

Reaction score
How anyone can take you seriously when you spew such crap about 25 sacks?
He is a first rd pick and is not playing like one. You want to make excuses go ahead; reality is at this moment he is a bust.
Now he might work out of it and he might not but denying the FACT that he is not producing like a first rd player just makes your cred look putrid.
A bust after 13 games…lol

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Clearly a project player still, but I see what the Cowboys liked in the guy. I haven't really watched Mazi film since early in the year and must say it looks much better right now. As a pass rusher he's clearly got potential but still needs to really develop actual moves. His bull rush will play at this level, and works well with his hands, but he needs something to play off it to actually get pressure on a QB. Right now his best attribute on passing downs is probably as a slow rusher who can move laterally to take away the run lanes for the QB. As a run stuffer I actually didn't hate what I saw. Granted I was expecting the tape to be horrid in this area I didn't notice a huge difference from when Hankins was in the game. The key for Mazi with getting more snaps is really going to be avoiding the ugly plays rather than making more plays. If I'm Buffalo I'm getting some run plays ready where I can throw some traps, reach blocks, etc Mazis way to see if I can move him and open up the middle.
Almost make him sound like he was meant to be a 3-4 DE.

Good write-up on the snaps. Appreciate the time and effort.

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
How bad is Mazi?
"On the day he was born
The nurses all gathered 'round
And they gazed in wide wonder
At the joy they had found
The head nurse spoke up
Said, "Leave this one alone"
She could tell right away
That he was bad to the bone"
lol

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can't judge a DT by his rookie season.

By this time next season, these criticisms will be conveniently forgotten.
The main criticism is that he doesn’t play enough to develop. I understand he’s not a finished product. But playing him only 12 snaps a game is going to prolong his development. Maybe he hasn’t earned the snaps but we committed to him by selecting him in round one.

1942willys

Reaction score
A bust after 13 games…lol
he sure looks like one now which is what is being talked about. You don't like that, who cares?

A first rd pick is supposed to have real impact his first year. Anyone claiming he has done that is either an idiot or a fool.

1942willys

Reaction score
Yes, 13 games into his career and we’re still seeing the same issues with him we saw in training camp and preseason. Funny, but many of us are having the same arguments about him we had about Taco and Tristan Hill. There were a lot of fans making apologies for those two as rookies. The jury is still out on Mazi but he’s off to a very slow start in his career and he needs to start picking it up starting on Sunday. No one expected him to look like a freak, but most expected him to look better than he has.
and that is the point. He is not showing anything worth the pick; and is not showing anything that was not clear in his college film. Just that in college he could physically accomplish more because he was bigger and stronger than most he went up against. That is not the case now; he is going up those at least as big and stronger and often more so. Now it requires technique and so far not much sign he has figured that out

I have always thought he would be a project which is why I was against using a first rd pick on him. There are those that claim another team was going to take him and that is why the boys did; but really he simply did not look like someone worth a top pick. BUT we needed a big body in the middle and I guess the scouts saw something no one else has.
IT is true its much too early to give up on him but certainly the decision to use a first on him looks bad.

I can understand taking a QB in the first if he is in need of development to a degree; all QBs need that. But any other position NO.

Carson

Reaction score
Broaddus made a good point yesterday.

When he gets off the ball with everyone else he is good. When he is slow he isn’t. The problem is he is only good at getting off the snap about 50% of the time.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Coog's Breakdown

1) You see why we don't draft DT's early
2) Once he gets to Carpenter/Taco bad, there's no hope
3) HE's not as bad as the posters on here that bash other cowboys fans for having an opinion, but they choose to stoop to negative comments, calling people's posts idiotic, etc when it's not necessary. Yet when they're attacked they start to get emotional!
I hope Mazi works out.

We can’t afford a 1st to be a bust.

Playing at DT3 seems to be an effort to get him more snaps.

Right now, he’s a JAG.

conner01

Reaction score
Let me clarify, they won’t totally give up on him, but they may realize unless he plays well during Hankins absence that he’s not the answer and look to the draft or free agency. If the team feels they can improve on him, they will.
I think fans expected more from him year one than staff did. Like I said, I didn’t like the pick because to me a first round DT has to be an impact player in the passing game and he wasn’t in college. It was obvious he needed real development in his technique. He’s an amazing athlete for his size and I think that’s why he was taken. They feel Quinn can build a player out of him. But it’s not gonna happen fast and I’m suspect they knew it was gonna likely be a coup I’ll e years if not 3 before he was ready to be a impact player

lukin2006

Reaction score
he sure looks like one now which is what is being talked about. You don't like that, who cares?

A first rd pick is supposed to have real impact his first year. Anyone claiming he has done that is either an idiot or a fool.
lol. me thinks you don’t have a clue what you are talking about…

ShiningStar

Reaction score
every pick in the first round must act like the best pick in the first round or they are a bust.

there, the CZ way. every player we draft takes us to the SB, every player we draft goes into the hall of fame. every player we sign is the best ever and every team out there is stupid. every coach is stupid but ours and as soon as they sign with us, they are the best ever. So sayeth the board. Amen.

noletime95

Reaction score
Mazi is proof you need to hit on 2nd round picks frequently. Because you can’t ALWAYS nail the first rounders. What a bust

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
I really didn't think the drop-off from Hankins to Mazi was as bad as it truly is. Mazi is practice squad material at this stage. Buffalo ran right at him and he folded like a lawn chair.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Really, really bad. Like UDFA bad.

Don't think I've ever seen a first rounder consistently put on one leg and driven 6-10 yards off the ball as much as this guy. By one OLman.