How bad is Mazi?

TheCritic

Reaction score
What's funny is that the adage that you can't really judge a player until their 2nd or 3rd season used to be common knowledge among NFL fans. This idea that a high-drafted rookie is supposed to be ready to play is a myth largely perpetuated by the media. Also most of these CZ members who argue otherwise know better. They are basically trolling in between welfare checks.

TheCritic

Reaction score
Ceedee had over 70 catches and 900 yards receiving and started almost every game. He's the epitome of what you hope to get out of a rookie 1st rounder.

The revisionist history that goes on in these threads from everyone trying to pretend Mazi isn't a disaster...
Again, I wasn't making a direct comparison between CeeDee and Mazi. Other than referring to fans expectations during that season. They were not saying what you said at that time. They were comparing CeeDee's numbers to Justin Jefferson and arguing that we got a raw deal. I'm not the one revising here!!

John813

Reaction score
The mods just need to perma ban people from posting about players under 3 years experience. We can't judge good or bad play or discuss it really.
The coaches know best anyways.
Drag the OP out and shoot him for calling out the bad plays by Mazi. He's a rookie you know.

droopdog7

Reaction score
What's funny to me is that plenty of people have been clamoring for a nose tackle type. Not that he is here, just want to ish on him.

bigE79

Reaction score
All I want from him is to be able to plug holes and stop the run,we have a major problem at lb and anything mazi can do to help stop the run is a plus at this point.

Proof

Reaction score
I know in some respect these are getting as popular as Dak threads, but I had some time this morning and wanted to do a semi deep dive into the guy from the Philly game as he should be getting a bump in snaps this week. This is going to be a simple +/- or no grade scale so it'll be pretty basic like a PFF type of score so take from that what you will.

Eagles Game
Q1
7:18 - Mazi on the field, false start offense, Mazi taken out. No grade

:50 - Lined up at 3T, No issues with the get off, screen play, Mazi reads it and falls back, Philly with a nice design here sending #0 to the right side to make it look like a screen to the right, ends up going to #88 on the left. Mazi a non factor, read the play but to the wrong side. No grade.

:12 - Lined up at 3T, Slightly slow off the ball, gets absolutely destroyed and washed out of the play. -

Q2
3:07 - Lined up at 3T, no issues with the get off, pass play, runs into a C/G double team. Both DTs slanted to the right, Mazi makes a move to go around the C, but overall a pretty weak rush move. No grade

2:33 - 3T, No issues with the get off, Pass play, draws the double team, but no impact on the play. No grade

Q3
14:24 - No issues getting off the ball, Holds ground, zero penetration, draws double team, nice split of the double team but it came too late. Solid gain in Mazi's direction but #1 and #14 were both unblocked because Mazi kept the double team engaged and they should have made the play for a minimal gain. I'll give Mazi a +

13:40 - No issues getting off the ball again, pass play, straight bullrush move and not a very good one, #90 came untouched forcing the ball out quick. No grade

12:02 - Slow get off, pass play, straight bull rush move and a much better one this time. Gets his arms extended on the Olineman and looks to have him off balance. Not a bad play by Mazi but seems to lack a pass rush move off the bull rush, if he had one he was in perfect position to execute on this play but didn't. No grade

11:56 - Slight delay on the get off, trap play by Philly, Mazi gets easily washed down. From the All 22 tape his first step was inside like he was supposed to be A gap which played right into the play Philly had on. I think this is simply right play at the right time by Philly but gotta give Mazi a - as he needs to read that better and at least do a better job of fighting back once the G starts to wash him down like that.

2:52 - No issues with the get off, RPO turned pass, Mazi gets washed out of the play as he plays the run. A non factor in the play but he is playing his responsibilities here. No grade

2:19 - No issues with the get off, 1v1 from either a 2 or 3T, couldn't tell for sure with the G and Mazi does a nice job of holding ground. RB runs right into a wall of players (mazi included) for a loss of 1. +

1:34 - No issues with the get off, pass play, Mazi takes on two players (C/G) with a straight bull rush, falls down when DLaw runs into him from behind - No grade

Q4
9:40 - No issues with the get off, pass play, singled up on the G and just holds ground. Good job getting his hands up, extended, and to the chest of the G but the rip move he uses is pretty weak. No grade

Notes:

* His official snap count was 13, I only found 12
* Strictly a 3T until the Hankins injury
* I gave him 2 +, 2-, and a bunch of nothing
* Him being slow off the ball seems to be overblow. Happens on occasion but not a consistent issue.
* Constantly in a stance with his weight back. This tells me the Cowboys are not asking him to be the explosive player we want him to be, and are letting him be more of a read/react guy, which aligns with his college film. This will be an interesting piece to watch next season with Mazi. If they alter his stance over the offseason it'll be a sign that we are going to see a different style of play from Mazi.
* Small sample size but it seems difficult to move Mazi 1v1, although if you can get him off balance he's basically on wheels.
* Seems to be improving on playing the double team
* The trap play was worrisome to me. Granted it's easy for a 1T to get washed down on those traps he has to fight through it better. Goes back to he's tough to beat straight up, but it seems teams can attack him from an angle easily.
* Excellent bull rush as a pass rusher, did a nice job a times getting extension and his hands in place to make a move, but clearly needs work on his moves that play off the bull rush

Clearly a project player still, but I see what the Cowboys liked in the guy. I haven't really watched Mazi film since early in the year and must say it looks much better right now. As a pass rusher he's clearly got potential but still needs to really develop actual moves. His bull rush will play at this level, and works well with his hands, but he needs something to play off it to actually get pressure on a QB. Right now his best attribute on passing downs is probably as a slow rusher who can move laterally to take away the run lanes for the QB. As a run stuffer I actually didn't hate what I saw. Granted I was expecting the tape to be horrid in this area I didn't notice a huge difference from when Hankins was in the game. The key for Mazi with getting more snaps is really going to be avoiding the ugly plays rather than making more plays. If I'm Buffalo I'm getting some run plays ready where I can throw some traps, reach blocks, etc Mazis way to see if I can move him and open up the middle.
man when i saw the title, and saw the poster i got worried. i didn't read it as "is mazi bad, lets find out!" "i read it as mazi is BAD" and i know you're a level headed guy, w/ takes i respect so i thought the worse. great thread though, and I appreciate the effort and am encouraged by what you found. thanks!

MajesticRey

Reaction score
Could be a developing player, could be a player w/ weaknesses. Hard to say at this point.
You still want to see flashes of Mazi being worthy of a 1st round pick. So far he has been a JAG rather than a green rookie with a ton of upside.

75boyz

Reaction score
Could be a developing player, could be a player w/ weaknesses. Hard to say at this point.
I'm leaning towards jag but I'll see him thru to after next year. I dont expect that huge leap from first to second year that many here expect though.

Guess we'll see.

shabazz

Reaction score
I don't believe that the FO is pleased with his progress but they have
no choice but to be patient and evaluate him after next season.

Personally, I didn't expect him to win his battles every week......but I did expect to see him win a few and show improvement each month

Creeper

Reaction score
I know in some respect these are getting as popular as Dak threads, but I had some time this morning and wanted to do a semi deep dive into the guy from the Philly game as he should be getting a bump in snaps this week. This is going to be a simple +/- or no grade scale so it'll be pretty basic like a PFF type of score so take from that what you will.

Eagles Game
Q1

:50 - Lined up at 3T, No issues with the get off, screen play, Mazi reads it and falls back, Philly with a nice design here sending #0 to the right side to make it look like a screen to the right, ends up going to #88 on the left. Mazi a non factor, read the play but to the wrong side. No grade.

:12 - Lined up at 3T, Slightly slow off the ball, gets absolutely destroyed and washed out of the play. -

Q2
3:07 - Lined up at 3T, no issues with the get off, pass play, runs into a C/G double team. Both DTs slanted to the right, Mazi makes a move to go around the C, but overall a pretty weak rush move. No grade

2:33 - 3T, No issues with the get off, Pass play, draws the double team, but no impact on the play. No grade

Q3
14:24 - No issues getting off the ball, Holds ground, zero penetration, draws double team, nice split of the double team but it came too late. Solid gain in Mazi's direction but #1 and #14 were both unblocked because Mazi kept the double team engaged and they should have made the play for a minimal gain. I'll give Mazi a +

13:40 - No issues getting off the ball again, pass play, straight bullrush move and not a very good one, #90 came untouched forcing the ball out quick. No grade

12:02 - Slow get off, pass play, straight bull rush move and a much better one this time. Gets his arms extended on the Olineman and looks to have him off balance. Not a bad play by Mazi but seems to lack a pass rush move off the bull rush, if he had one he was in perfect position to execute on this play but didn't. No grade

11:56 - Slight delay on the get off, trap play by Philly, Mazi gets easily washed down. From the All 22 tape his first step was inside like he was supposed to be A gap which played right into the play Philly had on. I think this is simply right play at the right time by Philly but gotta give Mazi a - as he needs to read that better and at least do a better job of fighting back once the G starts to wash him down like that.

2:52 - No issues with the get off, RPO turned pass, Mazi gets washed out of the play as he plays the run. A non factor in the play but he is playing his responsibilities here. No grade

2:19 - No issues with the get off, 1v1 from either a 2 or 3T, couldn't tell for sure with the G and Mazi does a nice job of holding ground. RB runs right into a wall of players (mazi included) for a loss of 1. +

1:34 - No issues with the get off, pass play, Mazi takes on two players (C/G) with a straight bull rush, falls down when DLaw runs into him from behind - No grade

Q4
9:40 - No issues with the get off, pass play, singled up on the G and just holds ground. Good job getting his hands up, extended, and to the chest of the G but the rip move he uses is pretty weak. No grade

Notes:

* Him being slow off the ball seems to be overblow. Happens on occasion but not a consistent issue.
* Constantly in a stance with his weight back. This tells me the Cowboys are not asking him to be the explosive player we want him to be, and are letting him be more of a read/react guy, which aligns with his college film. This will be an interesting piece to watch next season with Mazi. If they alter his stance over the offseason it'll be a sign that we are going to see a different style of play from Mazi.
* Small sample size but it seems difficult to move Mazi 1v1, although if you can get him off balance he's basically on wheels.
* The trap play was worrisome to me. Granted it's easy for a 1T to get washed down on those traps he has to fight through it better. Goes back to he's tough to beat straight up, but it seems teams can attack him from an angle easily.
* Excellent bull rush as a pass rusher, did a nice job a times getting extension and his hands in place to make a move, but clearly needs work on his moves that play off the bull rush

Clearly a project player still, but I see what the Cowboys liked in the guy. I haven't really watched Mazi film since early in the year and must say it looks much better right now. As a pass rusher he's clearly got potential but still needs to really develop actual moves. His bull rush will play at this level, and works well with his hands, but he needs something to play off it to actually get pressure on a QB. Right now his best attribute on passing downs is probably as a slow rusher who can move laterally to take away the run lanes for the QB. As a run stuffer I actually didn't hate what I saw. Granted I was expecting the tape to be horrid in this area I didn't notice a huge difference from when Hankins was in the game. The key for Mazi with getting more snaps is really going to be avoiding the ugly plays rather than making more plays. If I'm Buffalo I'm getting some run plays ready where I can throw some traps, reach blocks, etc Mazis way to see if I can move him and open up the middle.
I rewatched the game yesterday and kept an eye on Mazi, even rewinding most of his snaps. After reading your assessment I made an appointment to get my eyes examined because I could swear he got a late start on every snap he played except 1 where I gave him the benefit of the doubt. You watch Mazi and you should see movement immediately as the ball is snapped. But you rarely see him move at all. It takes him a fraction of a second to react, but by then the OL is setting up. He loses his battles before he gets out of his stance.

Now I am not ready to call him a bust. It is way too early for that, and what we see now could be a very different player in 2 years. But, if he does not get a quicker jump on the snap he would have to be Hercules to win his individual battles. I don't know if this is teachable or if he will always be slow getting off on the snap. I think we should all give him a chance, but right now Gallimore is a better player and that is not good for Mazi.

Creeper

Reaction score
Drafting J'Vondre Sweat solves the DT issues regardless of how Mazi develops.

Sweat will be everything we want Mazi to be on day one.
Timng is everything. Last year the DT class was not that great. 2024 I think the class will be stronger but I don't think Dallas will draft another DT.

MikeT22

Reaction score
He’s been a bust. That’s how bad he’s been. With Hankins out he’s going to have to play more. If he doesn’t play well, the team will be looking for another DT during the offseason. No way can we bank on Mazi going into next season if he doesn’t start showing some noticeable improvement.
Probably won’t look too hard. Dallas FO is known to wait until the wheels come off before addressing certain major problem areas.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Probably won’t look too hard. Dallas FO is known to wait until the wheels come off before addressing certain major problem areas.
They invested a first round pick on him, so they have to give him a chance. He’s going to get a big opportunity this weekend with Hankins being out. Let’s see if he steps up. If he doesn’t play well and we struggle against the run the criticism he’s receiving will intensify. Josh Allen could put up 70-80 yards on us running the ball.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Eagles Game
Q1

Q2

Q3

Q4

Notes:

Pretty positive eval. So, why is he only in for 12 plays if he’s doing so well….. according to you.

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Eagles Game
Q1

Q2

Q3

Q4

Notes:

He's got his work cut out for him this week, of all the regular season games this is the one Hankins is needed most. They're going to trying running it down Dallas' throat...

ghst187

Reaction score
The mods just need to perma ban people from posting about players under 3 years experience. We can't judge good or bad play or discuss it really.
The coaches know best anyways.
Drag the OP out and shoot him for calling out the bad plays by Mazi. He's a rookie you know.
There ya go, we should ban people’s opinions we don’t like.
Coaches knew better when they drafted Taco or that wasted DT pick in the second …

chagus

Reaction score
Good breakdown. Looking at Mazi, however, it seems that up to this point that he is a bust based on what is expected from a 1st rd draft pick. He's nowhere near his round status.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Pretty positive eval. So, why is he only in for 12 plays if he’s doing so well….. according to you.
I'm not sure it's that positive as much as it is just more positive than what most people around here are saying. I'm probably more optimistic on Mazi for 2024 than I am today to be honest. I see the skill set for him to build upon but he still seems limited.

* Solid bull rush as a pass rusher, uses his hands well, but doesnt really execute a follow up move at all. Needs work here.
* Handles 1v1 blocks well...unless hes being attacked at an angle in which he can get washed easily. This could be a reason they're using him as a 3/4T as much as they have. Let him line up on the outside shoulder of the G so he can fight from the B gap in instead of being the closest man to both the G and C. Nothing more than assuming stuff there, but it sort of makes sense.

He's basically a straight power rusher they're using primarily as a 3T so far. You can really only do so much with that until he develops his skill set further. This week should be an interesting matchup though. Buffalo's LG is our old friend Connor McGovern who I have no idea how hes done this year, but when he struggled in Dallas it was typically with DL who could over power him. It's one to keep an eye on.

Techsass

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hankins & Mazi are pretty much splitting their snaps, though Hankins gets about 5 more a game.

Last edited: