How bad is Mazi?

J12B

Reaction score
Best breakdown of the player I have. Thank you for the works. Its going really interesting to see if they play Mazi at 1T significantly with Hankins out, and how he fares if they do. His snap counts by position align well with your takes here. He has played mostly at 3T, some at 1T and some at 4i, but the vast majority at 3T. It seems the role they want to have right now is power rusher
They placed him at the 5X on a couple of snaps in the Seattle game as well. Even at 3IE on the last series. First time ever a player was lined up as a 3IE.

He's transforming the game.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
man when i saw the title, and saw the poster i got worried. i didn't read it as "is mazi bad, lets find out!" "i read it as mazi is BAD" and i know you're a level headed guy, w/ takes i respect so i thought the worse. great thread though, and I appreciate the effort and am encouraged by what you found. thanks!
Haha gotta keep you guessing

1942willys

Reaction score
A bust? Only in the eyes that don't know what is being asked of him at this point. He was ever asked to be a pass rusher in college. And they plan to work him into that for Dallas. It can't happen all in one year for most players.

He is abust to many because he does not have 25 sacks already, for something not asked of him. He is doing what he is supposed to do. Did you read all the play breakdowns in the OP.
Double teamed...that is his assignment for now. That allows other players, the actual pass rushers to be free to get to the QB or the RB.
How anyone can take you seriously when you spew such crap about 25 sacks?
He is a first rd pick and is not playing like one. You want to make excuses go ahead; reality is at this moment he is a bust.
Now he might work out of it and he might not but denying the FACT that he is not producing like a first rd player just makes your cred look putrid.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He is a first rd pick and is not playing like one. You want to make excuses go ahead; reality is at this moment he is a bust.
Now he might work out of it and he might not but denying the FACT that he is not producing like a first rd player just makes your cred look putrid.
Wow did I hit a nerve. Why are you attacking me. So the 25 is over the top, but it makes my point. You just proved It.
Talk about cred, you have none At this point With me.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I'm always confused about what a 1st round pick is supposed to play like? Most years only about 1/3rd of a 1st round draft class make it to a 2nd contact with the team that drafted them, but we seem to believe that because they're a 1st round talent they should be all pro players.

The 1st round players taken after Mazi this year were:

Anton Harrison - 54 PFF grade
Myles Murphy - 55 PFF grade
Bryan Breese - 46 PFF grade
Nolan Smith - 47 PFF grade
Felix Anudike-Uzomah - 52 PFF grade

All would be considered busts if we are only going off of 14 weeks through their rookie seasons. I know PFF isn't the end all be all, but it's at least quantifiable 3rd party for us to refer to. I think we need to redefine what a 1st round bust actually is, because there are very few Micah Parsons types who step in week 1 and dominate. Many if not most of these guys need limited roles and time to develop their game. Some will, some wont, but to call anyone a bust this early just feels like a mistake.

conner01

Reaction score
He’s been a bust. That’s how bad he’s been. With Hankins out he’s going to have to play more. If he doesn’t play well, the team will be looking for another DT during the offseason. No way can we bank on Mazi going into next season if he doesn’t start showing some noticeable improvement.
I doubt they give up on him after a rookie season. They knew he was raw and needed to learn technique. I didn’t want him myself but I get why they did. A freak but raw athlete. No way to judge him until you see if he’s better next year. What you need is improvement year over year. He has the physical traits to be a good player. So they aren’t giving up on him until after 3 years

conner01

Reaction score
He slow to reading and react.
He is. He was in college too. He’s slow off the snap but that seems like something teachable. Just getting off the snsp quicker would probably be huge for him

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I doubt they give up on him after a rookie season. They knew he was raw and needed to learn technique. I didn’t want him myself but I get why they did. A freak but raw athlete. No way to judge him until you see if he’s better next year. What you need is improvement year over year. He has the physical traits to be a good player. So they aren’t giving up on him until after 3 years
Let me clarify, they won’t totally give up on him, but they may realize unless he plays well during Hankins absence that he’s not the answer and look to the draft or free agency. If the team feels they can improve on him, they will.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He is. He was in college too. He’s slow off the snap but that seems like something teachable. Just getting off the snsp quicker would probably be huge for him.
The concern is it’s been an issue since training camp and I don’t see any improvement in that area after 13 games. With Hankins out he needs to play well. This is going to be a big opportunity for him.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I rewatched the game yesterday and kept an eye on Mazi, even rewinding most of his snaps. After reading your assessment I made an appointment to get my eyes examined because I could swear he got a late start on every snap he played except 1 where I gave him the benefit of the doubt. You watch Mazi and you should see movement immediately as the ball is snapped. But you rarely see him move at all. It takes him a fraction of a second to react, but by then the OL is setting up. He loses his battles before he gets out of his stance.

Now I am not ready to call him a bust. It is way too early for that, and what we see now could be a very different player in 2 years. But, if he does not get a quicker jump on the snap he would have to be Hercules to win his individual battles. I don't know if this is teachable or if he will always be slow getting off on the snap. I think we should all give him a chance, but right now Gallimore is a better player and that is not good for Mazi.
Here is what I'm seeing more often than not from Mazi...hopefully the links below work OK. If I get time tomorrow I may try to put together a quick video mash up of every Mazi get off from the Eagles game.

https://ibb.co/6skW5gv
https://ibb.co/BzsW9gQ
https://ibb.co/mvjdCZv

Some plays he might be just a tick behind, but it's nowhere near what it was early in the year or on his college tape. He will on occasion pull one of those where he looks to be nearly a half second behind everyone else moving, but for the most part he seems to be on par with everyone else on the DLine not named Micah Parsons.

plasticman

Reaction score
You can't judge a DT by his rookie season.

By this time next season, these criticisms will be conveniently forgotten.

Verdict

Reaction score
I think this is a pretty generous grading, but good breakdown.

One thing - he's not really playing 3T. He might line up in that gap, but he's not looking to penetrate like a 3T does. What they're really doing is shifting gaps so that they either have Mazi or Hankins in the "A" gap without having to shift. It's a design to prevent run schemes from having significant numbers advantages in the run game without having to get out of nickel.

Mazi is a bust if he can't rush the passer, and he has shown absolutely nothing in that regard.
I don’t think he’s a bust if he can’t rush the passer. But he a a bust if he can’t dominate in the run game, take on double teams effectively and collapse the pocket.

CowboysLegend365

Reaction score
He’s been a bust. That’s how bad he’s been. With Hankins out he’s going to have to play more. If he doesn’t play well, the team will be looking for another DT during the offseason. No way can we bank on Mazi going into next season if he doesn’t start showing some noticeable improvement.
Ah yes. 13 games into his career…it’s settled.

Freaks like Parsons don’t grow on trees, so it’s unwise to assume everyone will come in rolling.

They have his rights for 4+ years, they are going to do everything in their will to get him to play the way they need him to. He’ll be fine. He has the power, the rest will follow.