How big is Vikings game?

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
To me (personally) this game will make or break our season. Not because our chances for making the play offs. I mean with this overall weak NFC we can and probably still make them after losing to the Vikings.

But this damn team really needs to get their **** together. It's pissing me off beyond believe that just can't deliver in clutch situations. You can make all the mistakes in the world of you manage to keep the other team close. But when it matters, score. And that's Dak's and Kellen's job more than anyone else's. The others execute, but they have to scheme and find solutions. And if your receivers' can't run damn routes then use mesh or run plays.

LonnieElam

Reaction score
Bro. If you watched the tackling in the second half against Green Bay. Dillion was just plowing our guys. That’s all you need to see to know this team can’t stop a nose bleed.
Packers game, Eagles game, Bears game, 49ers game last season, 2018 Rams playoff game. Thank God we have an owner that recognizes the importance of big, run-stopping DT's, and he'll get that shored up after 5+ years. /sarcasm

RonnieT24

Reaction score
To some fans. But to me it’s about the defense. Dak is what he is. This offense is what it is. Nothing to see over there. This defense needs to start tackling against the Viking next week.

The defense should get a breather this week with Cook. He's a nifty little runner but not anywhere near the power threat type that typically gives our defense problems. He IS primarily and edge runner though so our DEs need to pull their collective heads out or Cook will run wild. Mattison is a little more of the power back type but they haven't really used him much this year. Maybe because Cook is having a good year and is staying healthy.. Which reminds me he's about due to get hurt here any minute. Wouldn't bother me at all to see him go down hard early in the game and not return.. Still his game is primarily about speed and that's the one thing our defense has in abundance..

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Being 7-3 sounds a lot better than being 6-4. Especially with the Giants game after that. But i think many are not happy not just because of this loss, but how they lost......magnifies a glaring and humongous defect in the defense. Even we talked about it week before the game that they better be ready for the run, run, run..... That needs to be fixed no matter who Dallas plays.

blumayne38

Reaction score
The defense should get a breather this week with Cook. He's a nifty little runner but not anywhere near the power threat type that typically gives our defense problems. He IS primarily and edge runner though so our DEs need to pull their collective heads out or Cook will run wild. Mattison is a little more of the power back type but they haven't really used him much this year. Maybe because Cook is having a good year and is staying healthy.. Which reminds me he's about due to get hurt here any minute. Wouldn't bother me at all to see him go down hard early in the game and not return.. Still his game is primarily about speed and that's the one thing our defense has in abundance..
Speed is nothing if you can’t tackle. That’s what worries me about the Vikings they have proven to be a more physical team.

Beastsfromthenfceast

Reaction score
Can someone tell me why the Cowboys end up playing the Vikings two years in a row in Minnesota ? Shouldn't this years game be in Dallas ? I realize this only pertains to divisional games but it still doesn't seem right .

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Can someone tell me why the Cowboys end up playing the Vikings two years in a row in Minnesota ? Shouldn't this years game be in Dallas ? I realize this only pertains to divisional games but it still doesn't seem right .

The schedules are set by where teams finish.. It's set up that the first place team from one division will play at the first and second place teams from the other and will host the third and fourth place teams of their "opponent division." It's all based on a formula. Both the VIkings and Cowboys were 3rd in their division in 2020 so in 2021 they met in MInny because of the formula.. In 2019 they were both 2nd in their division so in 2020 they met in Minny because of the formula. In 2018 the Cowboys won the division and the Vikings were 2nd in theirs.. so they met in Dallas in 2019 because of the formula. Nobody (outside of NFL HQ) actually knows what the formula is but these kinds of scheduling quirks have been going on for decades. Remember in the 90's the Cowboys hosted the Packers like 6 or 7 straight times. And when they finally had to go to Green Bay they got killed!! like 45-7..

But basically the formula boils down to "This place in the conference will host certain places in the conference and have to play on the road against the other places in the conference."

Beastsfromthenfceast

Reaction score
The schedules are set by where teams finish.. It's set up that the first place team from one division will play at the first and second place teams from the other and will host the third and fourth place teams of their "opponent division." It's all based on a formula. Both the VIkings and Cowboys were 3rd in their division in 2020 so in 2021 they met in MInny because of the formula.. In 2019 they were both 2nd in their division so in 2020 they met in Minny because of the formula. In 2018 the Cowboys won the division and the Vikings were 2nd in theirs.. so they met in Dallas in 2019 because of the formula. Nobody (outside of NFL HQ) actually knows what the formula is but these kinds of scheduling quirks have been going on for decades. Remember in the 90's the Cowboys hosted the Packers like 6 or 7 straight times. And when they finally had to go to Green Bay they got killed!! like 45-7..

But basically the formula boils down to "This place in the conference will host certain places in the conference and have to play on the road against the other places in the conference."
Thanks Ronnie . You know your stuff !

Carson

Reaction score
Are the Vikings really this good? I watched some of that Bills game, and Josh Allen gifted them a TD with that fumble at his own goal line. They're beatable, depending on which Cowboys team shows up.
They are just like the Eagles, Commanders, Giants.

Grind it out for 4 quarters. Keep the game close and usually 1-2 plays determine the game.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
I will be at the Vikings game and expect it to be loud and intense. Cowboys better show up or they will trucked.

Surfguy

Reaction score
This isn't a big game unless we win. Then, it's a big win.

AATXAJzYVhmxPJgaN7hVDltDzF_qXw8-HscT-KTruA=s900-c-k-c0xffffffff-no-rj-mo

CWR

Reaction score

They have been destroying us on the edges. I don't share your confidence in this being a "breather." Now not only will we have to worry about Cook, but Jefferson will be roaming, as well as Thielen. This offense concerns me more than GBs.

I didn't watch the Bills game, but they apparently had their way with that defense.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Thanks Ronnie . You know your stuff !

Oh and this is actually the third year in a row they'll play at Minny.. remember they went there with Dalton in 2020 too. The Cowboys ran wild on Minny that game.. I think Zeke had over 100 and Pollard was in the 60-70 range. Tough to explain what happened last year other than the Vikings committed to stopping the run because they only ran for 78 last year. Probably because they didn't think Rush could beat them with his arm. They were almost right until the circus catch from Cooper and the amazing 3rd and 11 haul on the swing pass by Zeke.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Throwing the towel? Who is throwing the towel? Only people throwing in towels wear a star on their helmet.
All you have to do is read the gametime thread or the dozens of the "sky is falling" threads.
It's not that hard. If you think the team cashed it in, it's a moot point.

blumayne38

Reaction score
All you have to do is read the gametime thread or the dozens of the "sky is falling" threads.
It's not that hard. If you think the team cashed it in, it's a moot point.
I saw this team cash it in last Sunday. Didn’t you?

OGCowboy

Reaction score
It’s a big game as far as this team goes concerning confidence ...it’s an attempt to try and right some things.
I’m a gambler...I’ll be taking Dallas for several reasons. Truly think they beat Minn...
I’m having a good season
I called the Wash win last night a lock few days ago....did very well on it....buds mostly thought I was wacked.
Maybe some big head involved but I’ll roll with it.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
They are just like the Eagles, Commanders, Giants.

Grind it out for 4 quarters. Keep the game close and usually 1-2 plays determine the game.

People should have learned by now that free agency and the salary cap have permanently removed any "great" teams from the league. These days even the best teams have a fatal flaw (sometimes more than one) which will be their undoing if they get matched up against the wrong team. That's how the NFL likes it. Any team can beat any other team. Philly and Giants have gotten EXTREMELY lucky to build up their records.. Especially the Giants.. Not that they aren't good.. but they have been gifted at least two of their wins.. I think one was on either a missed extra point or chipshot FG. If you have watched their games not against the Cowboys you can see it. Same with Eagles.. I never bought into the 17-0 hype. They're not that good. Yes they are good.. just not undefeated season good.

Motorola

Reaction score
It's big. But the game the following week vs NYG is bigger. Need to split these next two, regroup and finish the season no worse than 4-2.
Going 5-3 the remaining half (sort of) the season to finish 11-6 is a goal - and a point of reference for the orher NFC contenders for the three wildcard spots.
NFC West: 6-4 Seahawks/5-4 49ers - SEA would need to go 5-2, SF 6-2 down the stretch
NFC South: 5-5 Buccaneers - would need to finish up 6-1.
NFC East: 5-5 Commanders- would need to finish up 6 -1 as well.

And all of those 6-loss teams - Packers, Falcons, Cardinals, Lions, Rams:
- would have to go UNDFEATED the rest of the season to get 11 wins
- to finish 10-7, they can only LOSE ONE MORE GAME
- to achieve a 9-8 record, those five teams must end their seasons going 5-2 or 6-2.

In summary, if the Cowboys and Giants don't collapse or struggle the rest of season = more than 3 losses,
the other contenders have to become juggernauts to secure a playoff spot.