How 'Bout Them Rangers

Eldorado

Reaction score
nyc;3476215 said:
Don't argue with him. He believes because the Yankees spend $206 million on payroll they are ENTITLED to win the World Series. No team that only spends a quarter of what the Yankees spend could every win anything.

...of course you can see he is shaking in his boots by all the hate he is throwing this way. If the Rangers knock the Yankees out it will be sweet. A $55 million dollar payroll sinking a $206 million dollar payroll.

I find it funny that a Yankees fan would complain about sub $4M dollars increase when his team is spending $151 million more in payroll. Thats $45 million more than the next highest payroll! Absolutely ridiculous. :rolleyes:
That ignore feature works in funny ways ;)

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Stautner;3476224 said:
History has proven that the highest payroll doesn't necessarily win. Unfortunately, the Rangers payroll is going to have to increase dramatically in order to keep all the players they have, and some of them we just wont be able to afford to keep. The Rangers know that, but they are building for this year specifically, knowing they still have a lot of talent in the minors to replace a few veterans next year and still keep us competative. If they can just kep the pitching staff together we should be competative again next year. Keeping Lee might be tough though.

Yeah, Lee wants to go to the Yankees. He is a goner after this season.

Stautner

Reaction score
nyc;3476232 said:
Yeah, Lee wants to go to the Yankees. He is a goner after this season.

He was right out there for the Yankees to trade for a month ago. Why didn't the Yankess pull somethig off then?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Stautner;3476237 said:
He was right out there for the Yankees to trade for a month ago. Why didn't the Yankess pull somethig off then?

He was all but a Yankee until the Rangers threw in Justin Smoak at the last minute when they heard the Yankees and Mariners had settled on a price. That was the deal breaker and why the Rangers got Lee instead of the Yankees.

Hell, Lee had already been on the phone with CC. They are friends from their days with the Indians.

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
Stautner;3476237 said:

They tried, Rangers beat them to the punch.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Stautner;3476224 said:
History has proven that the highest payroll doesn't necessarily win.

That's right, but having money can help. The Yankees(1st), Phillies(4th) and Red Sox(2nd) all rank high in salary and are the past three World Series winners. Even with money you still have to pay the right guys. The Mets don't get the right guys.

Stautner

Reaction score
nyc;3476240 said:
He was all but a Yankee until the Rangers through in Justin Smoak at the last minute when they heard the Yankees and Mariners had settled on a price. That was the deal breaker and why the Rangers got Lee.

Hell, Lee had already been on the phone with CC. They are friends from their days with the Indians.

Yet somehow CC and Lee didn't link their careers together before. What is there that would make you think that is an overriding factor now? I expect the Yankees to be in the running for him, and they might get him, but for now I don't see anything that makes that a foregone conclusion. And what if the Rangers win? How does that sway things?

DFWJC

Reaction score
nyc;3476240 said:
He was all but a Yankee until the Rangers threw in Justin Smoak at the last minute when they heard the Yankees and Mariners had settled on a price. That was the deal breaker and why the Rangers got Lee instead of the Yankees.

This is how it went down.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Stautner;3476247 said:
Yet somehow CC and Lee didn't link their careers together before. What is there that would make you think that is an overriding factor now? I expect the Yankees to be in the running for him, and they might get him, but for now I don't see anything that makes that a foregone conclusion. And what if the Rangers win? How does that sway things?

I don't know, but if the Rangers keep him it will be at an extremely high price tag. Most players don't like Texas because of the heat. Lee already mentioned that in his press conference. I'm pretty sure that was why Roy Halladay said he would evoke his no-trade cause if they tried to trade him to Texas earlier in the year when the Rangers went after him.

Stautner

Reaction score
nyc;3476257 said:
I don't know, but if the Rangers keep him it will be at an extremely high price tag. Most players don't like Texas because of the heat. Lee already mentioned that in his press conference. I'm pretty sure that was why Roy Halladay said he would evoke his no-trade cause if they tried to trade him to Texas earlier in the year when the Rangers went after him.

Can't argue with the heat factor. The Texas heat can be tough. I was in the ballpark a week ago and thought I was going to melt.

And I agree the price tag will be tough to swallow. Like I mentioned before, some of the current Rangers are going to command a lot more money as their contracts expire, and they can't keep everyone. That's always the Yankees advantage - unlimited bank account.

Lee is someone I would love to keep though - he's a major influence aon any team's chances.

DFWJC

Reaction score
nyc;3476257 said:
Non pitchers like playing here just fine, but yes, the pitchers don't like playing in that hitters park in the heat.

I love and prefer outdoor baseball, and I love our park.
But of all the teams without retractable roofs, the Rangers could have used one the most.

Stautner

Reaction score
DFWJC;3476265 said:
Non pitchers like playing here just fine, but yes, the pitchers don't like playing in that hitters park in the heat.

I love and prefer outdoor baseball, and I love our park.
But of all the teams without retractable roofs, the Rangers could have used one the most.

Always make sure you sit on the 1st base side so the sun won't be directly on you.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Tommy Hunter is stinking it up tonight. :(

At least the offense is rolling too, but at some point. Something has to give. Hopefully it's not the Rangers.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
nyc;3476943 said:
Tommy Hunter is stinking it up tonight. :(

At least the offense is rolling too, but at some point. Something has to give. Hopefully it's not the Rangers.

he bearhanded a groundball in the first inning and me thinks he wasnt the same from there on.

He just flat hung that breaking pitch to rivera, dont see him do that much.

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
theebs;3476972 said:
he bearhanded a groundball in the first inning and me thinks he wasnt the same from there on.

He just flat hung that breaking pitch to rivera, dont see him do that much.

Yeah, too bad he can't remain perfect. Can't win them all.

Stautner

Reaction score
Cliff Lee has to be tired of no run support. IF that pattern doesn't change the Rangers chances of signing Lee to a longer term deal will go out the window.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Stautner;3479365 said:
Cliff Lee has to be tired of no run support. IF that pattern doesn't change the Rangers chances of signing Lee to a longer term deal will go out the window.

That was a horrible game last night. I used to be a big David Murphy supporter, but man he is stinking it up. The at bat he had when the bases were loaded with one out was horrendous. Then he followed it up with the same exact bat the next time he came up.

They had Weaver in serious trouble several times and the most they could produce was one run. That was sickening.

Stautner

Reaction score
nyc;3479433 said:
That was a horrible game last night. I used to be a big David Murphy supporter, but man he is stinking it up. The at bat he had when the bases were loaded with one out was horrendous. Then he followed it up with the same exact bat the next time he came up.

They had Weaver in serious trouble several times and the most they could produce was one run. That was sickening.

It really was sad. The had chances in a couple of innings and failed to get the key hits. Murphy had been playing well in his last few games, but he blew some chances last night.

Did you see the ground ball that got past Guzman? It was hit hard, but not far from him at all. Easily had a chance if he had laid out, but he just waved at it.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Stautner;3479440 said:
It really was sad. The had chances in a couple of innings and failed to get the key hits. Murphy had been playing well in his last few games, but he blew some chances last night.

Did you see the ground ball that got past Guzman? It was hit hard, but not far from him at all. Easily had a chance if he had laid out, but he just waved at it.

I'm not big on the Guzman pickup. I do like the Cantu acquisition though. I suppose Guzman can he help fill in, but I think I would prefer Joaquin Arias to play instead while Kinsler is out. They have about the same batting average, although Guzman has a better OBP. Arias is a better defensive player.

Guzman's experience is good to have, (especially at the plate) but I think getting Arias more experience would be a good thing.

Stautner

Reaction score
nyc;3479456 said:
I'm not big on the Guzman pickup. I do like the Cantu acquisition though. I suppose Guzman can he help fill in, but I think I would prefer Joaquin Arias to play instead while Kinsler is out. They have about the same batting average, although Guzman has a better OBP. Arias is a better defensive player.

Guzman's experience is good to have, (especially at the plate) but I think getting Arias more experience would be a good thing.

I agree. Arias was once a top prospect, and he filled in very well for Kinsler early in the season. Plus Guzman wasn't hitting all that well so far this year. It just didn't seem to merit giving up some young players and taking on Guzman's salary when there was plenty of reason to believe Arias and Blanco could have done the job until Kinsler returns in a few weeks. Kind of makes you wonder if the team expects Kinsler to be out longer than they have indicated.

I liked the Cantu deal to, although it appears he will be sharing time with Mitch Moreland. Moreland has looked good at the plate so far. He may be the future 1st baseman instead of Davis.