How can anyone still defend what we had coaching wise after this offseason?

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
It could be you. Drafted well? Charlton and Hill were 2 of our last 3 picks. We drafted good FOOTBALL players this time around. Not pet cats of certain coaches. And yes I do credit McCarthy for the FA acquisitions. When’s the last time we brought in or drafted a big run staffing defensive lineman under Garrett? I remember a lot of quick twitch references.
Imagine following this team and thinking we haven't drafted well the past half decade.

Couldn't be me.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I agree with many of the other posters that aren't really defending the previous regime but also don't want to be premature in our celebration of what's going on right now before they ever actually accomplish something. This current composition of this team feels special and certainly looks special on paper but It doesn't amount to anything if they don't put it all together and stack up win after win, go somewhere in the playoffs, win titles, even if that title is just NFC champ. Don't get me wrong, I want to win Super Bowls but a NFC title this season would be a nice start to what we are building here.

cern

Reaction score
Why do you think that?
He has openly stated he has no desire to be the gm. Sorry, can't provide a link. And he often makes most complimentary statements about mcclay. Not to mention mcclay was paid handsomely to stay here when he was offered gm positions elsewhere.

75boyz

Reaction score
“How has the offseason been any different” is a better question. It was a great draft on paper. As good as 2016? Unlikely, but we’ll see. 2016 didn’t look like a great draft at the time, necessarily.

In UFA, we did a great job filling holes. Because we lost a lot of starters and key players (Cobb, Witten, Fleming, Collins, Bennett, Heath). We brought in a lot of “name” players, but most of those guys’ prime seasons are behind them or they were solid players who aren’t actually game
changers (Poe, Dix). There are differing opinions about how in-demand our new HC and DC actually were.

I’m glad people are excited. And I don’t want to rain on any parades, but as Cowboy fans, we’re excited every offseason.

I do love the Griffen signing, though. Just like I loved the Robert Quinn signing last season. I liked McCoy, too. Just like I liked him for us last season when we made a play for him and were beaten out by Carolina.

Excellent post.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He has openly stated he has no desire to be the gm. Sorry, can't provide a link. And he often makes most complimentary statements about mcclay. Not to mention mcclay was paid handsomely to stay here when he was offered gm positions elsewhere.
I can support this claim .
Stephen has openly stated he wouldn’t serve as GM or in the same capacity as Jerry.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Imagine following this team and thinking we haven't drafted well the past half decade.

Couldn't be me.
I didn’t say we didn’t draft well for a half decade. I see you still like putting words in people’s mouths.

Plankton

Reaction score

I think the stated desire to not be the GM is an urban legend. There’s no evidence of this statement out there. Stephen is every bit the media ***** and glory hound that his father is, and doesn’t seem to be the kind of guy who is looking to modify the current structure of the team hierarchy.

Of course he’s complimentary of McClay - he’s in effect doing the job that Stephen Jones is supposed to be doing. As long as the Jones’ own the team, there won’t be a non-Jones with the GM title.

Plankton

Reaction score
I can support this claim .
Stephen has openly stated he wouldn’t serve as GM or in the same capacity as Jerry.

Cool - find the quote. Should be easy to find considering he openly stated this.

As I stated above, that quote is an urban legend.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Because Jerrah has always held the keys, he’s getting closer to the ground and wants to win? There’s zero proof Garrett was making personnel decisions and there’s zero proof McCarthy has anything to do with this. Maybe they want to give their new shiny toy HC no excuses.

I honestly don’t think MM is back there making draft picks and off seasons acquisitions a la BB. No way. He may have some input but that still doesn’t mean that’s what JJ will do. The interior D line has been a mess for years and we just lost our sack leader so we replaced him.

Did JG get credit for bringing in Quinn last year? Nope. There’s no reason to believe this is anything different.
Just look at the DTs they brought in with McCoy and Poe. The last staff wouldn't have come close to asking 1 of those guys much less 2. Its clear things have changed because if it was Jerry, Stephen and Will when Garrett was here it would have been the same. Even draft philosophy changed from picking needs and this year they went best player available.

cern

Reaction score
I think the stated desire to not be the GM is an urban legend. There’s no evidence of this statement out there. Stephen is every bit the media ***** and glory hound that his father is, and doesn’t seem to be the kind of guy who is looking to modify the current structure of the team hierarchy.

Of course he’s complimentary of McClay - he’s in effect doing the job that Stephen Jones is supposed to be doing. As long as the Jones’ own the team, there won’t be a non-Jones with the GM title.
If you don't like the jonses, you don't like the jonses. If you don't want to give Stephen credit for doing a good job, that's your business.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
In all honesty. Not even a year into the McCarthy era and we have revamped our entire DL, had our best draft in years, have brought in a great staff who are all excellent at what they do, and Jerry has been very quiet. How can anyone defend what has been going on under the prior regime? I’m honestly asking.

Derp derp.

Nostalgia?

DuncanIso

Reaction score
From what I understand MM was handcuffed in GB. They wouldn't resign players or get free agents. So MM is probably loving the situation he is in now.

also, ARodgers hated Big Mike with a passion.

cowboyed

Reaction score
What is the point of prolonging even a smidgen of vitriol over last season's dysfunctional coaching staff? This reminds me of when victorious soldiers, particularly of ancient armies went around spearing their fallen opponents on the battle field to make sure they are deader than dead.

aria

Reaction score
Just look at the DTs they brought in with McCoy and Poe. The last staff wouldn't have come close to asking 1 of those guys much less 2. Its clear things have changed because if it was Jerry, Stephen and Will when Garrett was here it would have been the same. Even draft philosophy changed from picking needs and this year they went best player available.
Nonsense, they lost Collins and Bennett, what did you think they would do? That’s been an area of weakness for a long time. Was JG responsible for bringing in Quinn? Do you think JG wanted to keep Maher even though by missing all those FG’s Garrett also knew he was contributing to him losing his job?

Just look at almost every other comment in this thread, almost no one thinks Garrett or McCarthy is calling the personnel shots and there’s zero evidence they ever have.

What’s the next thing you’re gonna tell me, that they would have skipped over Lamb if Garrett was here or was that all McCarthy too? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

TwentyOne

Reaction score
In all honesty. Not even a year into the McCarthy era and we have revamped our entire DL, had our best draft in years, have brought in a great staff who are all excellent at what they do, and Jerry has been very quiet. How can anyone defend what has been going on under the prior regime? I’m honestly asking.

Wait 2 years then judge.