How Can These Guys Fail a Drug Test?

Haimerej

Reaction score
Smoking weed is not safer than coffee. Bad info.

Depends on your definition of safe. It doesn't affect cognitive function or motor skills the same way but caffeine is more toxic than THC.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Maybe you’ll listen to the CDC.

“About 1 in 10 marijuana users will become addicted. For people who begin using younger than 18, that number rises to 1 in 6. For more information visit CDC’s section on addiction or the National Institute on Drug Abuse’s pages on addiction science”.

https://www.cdc.gov/marijuana/faqs/marijuana-addiction.html

Not all people define addiction so broadly, even within the medical community. The symptoms of marijuana withdrawal are comparable to people changing their diet. Social stigma or legal repercussions are oftentimes the only cause of negative consequences for users.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Maybe you’ll listen to the CDC.

“About 1 in 10 marijuana users will become addicted. For people who begin using younger than 18, that number rises to 1 in 6. For more information visit CDC’s section on addiction or the National Institute on Drug Abuse’s pages on addiction science”.

https://www.cdc.gov/marijuana/faqs/marijuana-addiction.html
Marijuana itself isn't chemically addictive like Nicotine or Caffeine or Heroin

People become addicted to using it but that is a mental construct, not a physical dependency... a crutch like Alcohol

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Really people complain about the NFL yet they know when drug test will take place which is during organized team activities May or June. So for the most part these guys can get high from June, 9 to 10 months without any test being performed and yet we still see guys failing it.
I tend to agree this is not as much of a strict drug testing program as it is an intelligence test.

There's a reason they call the stuff "dope". :muttley:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
you have to ask from What? Ask Randy Gregory as he continues to struggle staying clean. Give me a break there are ample repeat offenders of the policy guys who can't lay off smoking weed.
You are really looking dumb on this topic. I’ve never heard the term relapse with someone smoking cannabis.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
You are really looking dumb on this topic. I’ve never heard the term relapse with someone smoking cannabis.

You never heard of it so that makes me dumb? Lol OK. People who deal with rehab of people dealing with addiction use the term. Take it up with them. What is funny is people saying well I never heard of the term therefore it does not exist

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
You never heard of it so that makes me dumb? Lol OK. People who deal with rehab of people dealing with addiction use the term. Take it up with them. What is funny is people saying well I never heard of the term therefore it does not exist
Not concerning cannabis.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Nothing scientific there at all.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0306460309000896

Call it what you will, if the object is to quit and you find yourself doing it again that is a relapse. Damn not hard to figure out, call it falling off the weed wagon but the fact is it is real. There are people who are addicted to Marijuana and have struggled to stop. Because some here think otherwise does not change the fact that many have a hard time kicking the habit of smoking weed.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Here's where the argument of whether pot is addictive to some loses it's punch, who cares? They haven't outlawed cigarettes or alcohol, two known addictive products that kill more people annually than the combination of all drugs.

It is an empty argument for not making it legal just as gambling addiction is a reason not to legalize it. Isn't America the land of all of these freedoms we use to get our way? It is stupid to openly support crime with laws created to create criminals.

The pharma and liquor lobby's are the reason this continues to be federally illegal. Ya know the worst addiction? Corruption.

Weed is not chemically dependent like alcohol. Thats probably what they mean. Youre not gonna get sick and have Withdrawel symptoms. Plus youre not gonna hug the toilet or make bad personal choices like using alcohol and other drugs. Weed is medically prescribed and has health benefits. Ive never seen an Rx for Alcohol.

They say more than 75% of the NFL athletes use weed so Im sure alot of our favorite players former players etc are just as guilty so I guess we cant crucify all the players.

These players are the performers not the owners or league officials. I think some rules pertaining to their body should be determined by them. I wonder what the players would say if polled.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Weed is not legal to smoke in the NFL. So don’t do it and get caught or you get into trouble. Use your platform and social media to be a advocate for legalizing it in your own time. When you punch in for work and take the drug test that they yell you is coming then be clean. If you fail then expect to be tested constantly till your out of the program. It’s all laid out for you in the employee handbook.

Oh yeah and if you follow the rules then they pay you millions of dollars.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Evidently, for NFL players, it is harder than I realized to smoke marijuana and not get caught.

Either that, or it is utterly amazing how careless and unprofessional some of these guys can be.

At least that's my current working theory after several players, including most notably Jets defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson and Cowboys linebacker Rolando McClain, were suspended recently under the NFL's substance abuse policy.

Without getting bogged down into too much minutiae, here are the rules: Players get tested once a year for "street drugs" (including marijuana) and that test is in May or June, during the team's Organized Team Activities. A positive test would place the player in the league's program, which entails more frequent testing and some meetings. If the player fulfills his requirements in the program, he needs to test positive two more times to get suspended. If the NFL's medical director believes the player hasn't adequately participated in the program, a second positive test could trigger a four-game suspension like the ones that Richardson and McClain got.

There are a couple key points that need to be reiterated:

1) NFL players only get tested once a year for substances and they KNOW when it will take place.

2) Even if a player tests positive once, as long as he does what the league asks, there won't be any serious repercussions unless he tests positive TWO MORE TIMES.

Let's start with the first point, which is really the most important one. Everybody knows when the test is coming. Every year. To use some Wellsian (Ted, that is) terms, I was "generally aware" during my time as a player of several teammates who "more probable than not" smoked marijuana on a fairly regular basis.

How do I know? They talked about it, hinted at it and even smelled like it from time to time. Yet none of those guys that I remember, with the notable exception of one after we were no longer teammates, ever had any issue with the NFL's substance abuse policy, which is an intelligence test as much as anything. But don't just take my word for it.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/135008328/sheldon-richardson-rolando-mcclain-suspended

The simple answer is they are dumb as ****.

The NFL tries to do everthing to let players have their drugs to be competitive. When a guys does not get it he doesnt deserve to be in this league.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Evidently, for NFL players, it is harder than I realized to smoke marijuana and not get caught.

Either that, or it is utterly amazing how careless and unprofessional some of these guys can be.

At least that's my current working theory after several players, including most notably Jets defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson and Cowboys linebacker Rolando McClain, were suspended recently under the NFL's substance abuse policy.

Without getting bogged down into too much minutiae, here are the rules: Players get tested once a year for "street drugs" (including marijuana) and that test is in May or June, during the team's Organized Team Activities. A positive test would place the player in the league's program, which entails more frequent testing and some meetings. If the player fulfills his requirements in the program, he needs to test positive two more times to get suspended. If the NFL's medical director believes the player hasn't adequately participated in the program, a second positive test could trigger a four-game suspension like the ones that Richardson and McClain got.

There are a couple key points that need to be reiterated:

1) NFL players only get tested once a year for substances and they KNOW when it will take place.

2) Even if a player tests positive once, as long as he does what the league asks, there won't be any serious repercussions unless he tests positive TWO MORE TIMES.

Let's start with the first point, which is really the most important one. Everybody knows when the test is coming. Every year. To use some Wellsian (Ted, that is) terms, I was "generally aware" during my time as a player of several teammates who "more probable than not" smoked marijuana on a fairly regular basis.

How do I know? They talked about it, hinted at it and even smelled like it from time to time. Yet none of those guys that I remember, with the notable exception of one after we were no longer teammates, ever had any issue with the NFL's substance abuse policy, which is an intelligence test as much as anything. But don't just take my word for it.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/135008328/sheldon-richardson-rolando-mcclain-suspended