How Can These Guys Fail a Drug Test?

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
stepnoski did it his whole career and was fine. just don't be stupid and it's a non issue.

Haimerej

Reaction score
I've seen the addictive nature of pot. I've seen quite a few try to quit and not be able to.

It's the person, not the substance. I know a lot of people who can't stop overeating. The food itself isn't addictive.

Because your employer has the right to fire/hire anyone using that employer's guidelines. It's much more than just legality. People don't want to watch a league of potheads, and the money would start going down as the play would start going down if pot usage became widespread.

You already are.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
But alcohol actually creates dependence.

ADAIUW.jpg

Typically, people who use marijuana do not progress to using the drug regularly, or for long periods of time. Most will experiment every now and then with marijuana during adolescence and early adulthood and stop using once they are in their mid-to-late 20s. However, some people will use marijuana for longer and more often, and become dependent on the drug. Historically, marijuana was not seen as a drug of dependence in the same way as heroin or alcohol, but marijuana dependence is now well recognised in the scientific community.

What is Marijuana Dependence?

Dependence on marijuana means that the person needs to use marijuana just to feel 'normal'. In order to be diagnosed as marijuana dependent, a person needs to experience at least three of the following in the one year:

• Tolerance to the effects of marijuana, meaning that more marijuana is needed to get the same effect;
  • Withdrawal from the effects of marijuana, such as irritability, trouble sleeping and depressive symptoms;
  • Using more marijuana than was intended;
  • Persistent desire to stop taking marijuana or to cut down and being unsuccessful at this;
  • Spending lots of time obtaining, using or recovering from the use of marijuana;
  • Giving up important activities in favour of using marijuana; and/or
  • Using marijuana even when it is known that it causes problems.
What are the Symptoms of Marijuana Withdrawal?

One of the most common symptoms of marijuana dependence is the experience of discomfort when ceasing use known as withdrawal. Studies with marijuana users who have recently quit report that withdrawal symptoms start on the first day, usually peak in the first two to three days, and with the exception of sleep disturbance, are usually very mild by the sixth day.

The most common symptoms include:

• Anxiety/nervousness;
  • Reduced appetite;
  • Irritability/restlessness;
  • Sleep difficulties including strange dream.
Even though these symptoms are not life threatening, they can be distressing enough for the person trying to stop smoking marijuana, to start using again.
http://learnaboutmarijuanawa.org/factsheets/dependence.htm

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've seen the addictive nature of pot. I've seen quite a few try to quit and not be able to.

Because your employer has the right to fire/hire anyone using that employer's guidelines. It's much more than just legality. People don't want to watch a league of potheads, and the money would start going down as the play would start going down if pot usage became widespread.
ksk, it is more widespread than we know within all sports and hasn't affected play. Even Irvin knew he couldn't play on weed so he chose coke.

I spent 40 years in the music related field and that was rampant with pot but most knew that and work were a no-no. In 25 years of radio management, I sent one employee home for being high at work, most know where to draw the line. No company wants any employee making decisions when they're high, hell, I used to get high so I wouldn't have to make decisions except whether to finish on salty or sweet.

Most of the people I've known use pot like they do liquor, if they use that as well. It's a recreational usage, not during work hours. I guess if I was a toll booth worker, I might get high at work but most don't mix the two.

Haimerej

Reaction score
ADAIUW.jpg

Typically, people who use marijuana do not progress to using the drug regularly, or for long periods of time. Most will experiment every now and then with marijuana during adolescence and early adulthood and stop using once they are in their mid-to-late 20s. However, some people will use marijuana for longer and more often, and become dependent on the drug. Historically, marijuana was not seen as a drug of dependence in the same way as heroin or alcohol, but marijuana dependence is now well recognised in the scientific community.

What is Marijuana Dependence?

Dependence on marijuana means that the person needs to use marijuana just to feel 'normal'. In order to be diagnosed as marijuana dependent, a person needs to experience at least three of the following in the one year:

• Tolerance to the effects of marijuana, meaning that more marijuana is needed to get the same effect;
  • Withdrawal from the effects of marijuana, such as irritability, trouble sleeping and depressive symptoms;
  • Using more marijuana than was intended;
  • Persistent desire to stop taking marijuana or to cut down and being unsuccessful at this;
  • Spending lots of time obtaining, using or recovering from the use of marijuana;
  • Giving up important activities in favour of using marijuana; and/or
  • Using marijuana even when it is known that it causes problems.
http://learnaboutmarijuanawa.org/factsheets/dependence.htm

Those, "withdrawal," symptoms are indicative of any struggle with breaking a habit. It doesn't make the substance addictive.

Etchyboy

Reaction score
Non addictive? BS Guys will throw their careers away over it see Irving. See guys who fail over and over. As for Alcohol players have gotten in trouble and suspended due to alcohol abuse, they can be suspended for prescription drugs as well if found abusing them.

I 100% agree with you. I live in Oregon and its been legal here for awhile. There is data that is being kept from being widely known on the financial impact legal weed is costing the state. For every dollar generated from tax revenue it costs the state almost 5 dollars. Just like alcohol and tobacco there is a cost to it. We were sold a myth about how harmless it is and what it does. Idiots are getting high and going out causing accidents. Its a complete mess and the city of Portland has become a Shole loaded with homeless potheads. They dont want to work all they do is use their Oregon card to buy bottle water dump it out and return it for the deposit. An use that to buy the pot. The idiots who are elected are so far left they will not admit they are wrong for fear of their politcal base.

So WEED is BAD..

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Those, "withdrawal," symptoms are indicative of any struggle with breaking a habit. It doesn't make the substance addictive.

Any substance that can control your life to cause you to throw away things in your life for the sake of getting high shows addiction. You can is all you want but more and more medical research does show addition with heavy Marijuana use. They are not making it up and have no agenda unlike those who defended it because they are only interested in getting stoned. I have no issue if they legalize it, hell I smoked for years so I do understand the pro argument for making it legal, I spouted off myself. But again when anything can start dictating things in your life that is a major problem.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Here's where the argument of whether pot is addictive to some loses it's punch, who cares? They haven't outlawed cigarettes or alcohol, two known addictive products that kill more people annually than the combination of all drugs.

It is an empty argument for not making it legal just as gambling addiction is a reason not to legalize it. Isn't America the land of all of these freedoms we use to get our way? It is stupid to openly support crime with laws created to create criminals.

The pharma and liquor lobby's are the reason this continues to be federally illegal. Ya know the worst addiction? Corruption.
Preach it brother !!

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Right

It’s not just about the legality . It’s about the image of the league.

The sponsors and networks don’t want to promote their labels with a league of pot heads.

Well said K!!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I 100% agree with you. I live in Oregon and its been legal here for awhile. There is data that is being kept from being widely known on the financial impact legal weed is costing the state. For every dollar generated from tax revenue it costs the state almost 5 dollars. Just like alcohol and tobacco there is a cost to it. We were sold a myth about how harmless it is and what it does. Idiots are getting high and going out causing accidents. Its a complete mess and the city of Portland has become a Shole loaded with homeless potheads. They dont want to work all they do is use their Oregon card to buy bottle water dump it out and return it for the deposit. An use that to buy the pot. The idiots who are elected are so far left they will not admit they are wrong for fear of their politcal base.

So WEED is BAD..
Very interesting. It’s hasnt been legal long enough to compile enough data. But I’d expect there’d be damage to society much like alcohol consumption and abuse.

Perhaps a better path is simply decriminalizing marijuana federally? Stop incarceration for users. And reinvest that expense on rehabilitation.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But alcohol actually creates dependence.
Not in everyone. That speaks to your point that it is about the individuals.

Why is obesity an epidemic in this country? Some are addicted to food. Talk about physical dependence. They've done testing on the physical and emotional effect of chocolate on some people and there is a connection to addiction. Their brains actually crave chocolate to maintain normalcy. The absence of it is worse to their brains than the presence of it is to their bodies and I'm talking about people with health problems because of their weight.

The real issue is that medical science has barely scratched the surface on what makes our brains tick. We are more impressed by what we know than fearful of what we do not know.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We really don’t want a society full of drunks or potheads. But I’m not sure incarcerating everyone is the answer.

Taxing the product does seem like another viable solution. Many may not know alcohol was the first product taxed after winning our Independence from England.

And it’s still the highest percentage taxed product in the nation above tobacco and fuel. It’s why you can buy it in Duty Free stores and in many other countries for about half the price. 50-60% of the price of alcohol is from Federal and State excise taxes levied before they are distributed.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Any substance that can control your life to cause you to throw away things in your life for the sake of getting high shows addiction.

If anything can be addictive, nothing is addictive.

You can is all you want but more and more medical research does show addition with heavy Marijuana use. They are not making it up and have no agenda unlike those who defended it because they are only interested in getting stoned.

It appears to be a broad definition of dependence.

I have no issue if they legalize it, hell I smoked for years so I do understand the pro argument for making it legal, I spouted off myself. But again when anything can start dictating things in your life that is a major problem.

That's true. It doesn't make stuff addictive.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Not in everyone. That speaks to your point that it is about the individuals.

Why is obesity an epidemic in this country? Some are addicted to food. Talk about physical dependence. They've done testing on the physical and emotional effect of chocolate on some people and there is a connection to addiction. Their brains actually crave chocolate to maintain normalcy. The absence of it is worse to their brains than the presence of it is to their bodies and I'm talking about people with health problems because of their weight.

The real issue is that medical science has barely scratched the surface on what makes our brains tick. We are more impressed by what we know than fearful of what we do not know.

Yes.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The question isn't about whether pot is harmful. Hell, we've seen people kill themselves with water. Of course it can be harmful to certain people just like alcohol can be.

The question is should it be denied based on the fact that it might be harmful to some but beneficial to others, just like alcohol can be?

Do we want kids doing it, people driving on it or operating difficult and possibly dangerous tasks on it? Of course not but citing the exceptions doesn't affect the rule. Legalizing it hasn't wreaked havoc and opened the gateway.

The largest growing segment of society smoking weed now is the 65+ crowd. It has been proven to have benefits to the aging process and handling certain ailments that come with aging. I am in that crowd but choose my self medication with Demon Rum and if it were legal in Texas, probably wouldn't change. However, when I used to smoke it, a long time ago, I wasn't this age with these ailments so I do not know the temporary relief benefits of it. But I do know quite a few people that do and they used to take pain meds and I sure as hell know the hazards of that.

Funny how this discussion started about a guy, one guy, in the NFL that decided pot was more important than football, one guy out of how many that smoke it? And that guy seems satisfied with his decision, his choice, his life.

Etchyboy

Reaction score
Very interesting. It’s hasnt been legal long enough to compile enough data. But I’d expect there’d be damage to society much like alcohol consumption and abuse.

Perhaps a better path is simply decriminalizing marijuana federally? Stop incarceration for users. And reinvest that expense on rehabilitation.

Incarceration for users is not the issue. Its the behavior associated with it. Just like alcohol incarcerated the drunk driver is small costs. The long term cost is the person he killed when he was drunk.

I concede that there are benefits to it. I have tried CBD for my IBS issue and saw some benefit. However no benefit can be had when people abuse it as is the case in the PNW. Very few are getting rich off this. The only people who are making anything from this are the ones who still sell it illegally.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If anything can be addictive, nothing is addictive.

It appears to be a broad definition of dependence.

That's true. It doesn't make stuff addictive.

No it is not your definition. People in the medical field and those who deal with addiction seem to know better since they deal with it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Incarceration for users is not the issue. Its the behavior associated with it. Just like alcohol incarcerated the drunk driver is small costs. The long term cost is the person he killed when he was drunk.

I concede that there are benefits to it. I have tried CBD for my IBS issue and saw some benefit. However no benefit can be had when people abuse it as is the case in the PNW. Very few are getting rich off this. The only people who are making anything from this are the ones who still sell it illegally.

I agree. What is funny and I knew it would happen is the 1st push for Marijuana would be for medical use and from there the push would then be recreational use. It was easy to see before it ever happened what the intent was. Personally I don't care if they make it legal for recreational use but I also think in a day and age where actually taking personal responsibility is scares that people telling their sob stories about things that may happen while under the influence, I don't want to hear it. Just like the drunk who says "I drive better when I'm drunk" then that person causes an accident that hurts or kills others I have no pity for them. Same with weed where it does effect your reaction time. Of course all the pro weed people will say it makes them sharper when it doesn't.

Haimerej

Reaction score
No it is not your definition. People in the medical field and those who deal with addiction seem to know better since they deal with it.

Some guy did a study which concluded, "although marijuana may be addictive for some, 91 percent of those who try it do not get hooked. Further, marijuana is less addictive than many other legal and illegal drugs." So I guess it has technically been labeled as having addicts... but the incidence of addiction is so rare I believe it comes down to the person and their set of values. It's a choice in the case of the players who aren't passing tests. They're not dependent.