How Can These Guys Fail a Drug Test?

Haimerej

Reaction score
I agree. What is funny and I knew it would happen is the 1st push for Marijuana would be for medical use and from there the push would then be recreational use. It was easy to see before it ever happened what the intent was. Personally I don't care if they make it legal for recreational use but I also think in a day and age where actually taking personal responsibility is scares that people telling their sob stories about things that may happen while under the influence, I don't want to hear it. Just like the drunk who says "I drive better when I'm drunk" then that person causes an accident that hurts or kills others I have no pity for them. Same with weed where it does effect your reaction time. Of course all the pro weed people will say it makes them sharper when it doesn't.

Agree with all that except the part about, "all the pro weed people."

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Some guy did a study which concluded, "although marijuana may be addictive for some, 91 percent of those who try it do not get hooked. Further, marijuana is less addictive than many other legal and illegal drugs." So I guess it has technically been labeled as having addicts... but the incidence of addiction is so rare I believe it comes down to the person and their set of values. It's a choice in the case of the players who aren't passing tests. They're not dependent.

Less addictive? I would not argue, you will not go through withdraw pain then again you could say the same for cigarettes. People become addicted but the withdraw tends to be more mental than physical but extremely hard to quit for some.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Agree with all that except the part about, "all the pro weed people."

I have just heard many tell me how their concentration level is better and how it is a benefit but then again I have had people tell me that they actually drive better when they are intoxicated. It is load of BS but people tend to say a lot of things to justify their actions

Haimerej

Reaction score
Less addictive? I would not argue, you will not go through withdraw pain then again you could say the same for cigarettes. People become addicted but the withdraw tends to be more mental than physical but extremely hard to quit for some.

Click that link. It has the addiction rates for different substances and cites the study.

Haimerej

Reaction score
I have just heard many tell me how their concentration level is better and how it is a benefit but then again I have had people tell me that they actually drive better when they are intoxicated. It is load of BS but people tend to say a lot of things to justify their actions

To each their own as long as no one else is harmed. Intoxication isn't an excuse.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Click that link. It has the addiction rates for different substances and cites the study.

When a person does become addicted, several types of psychotherapy can help him or her kick the habit. One of the more effective types is a form of cognitive-behavior therapy (CBT) tailored to the addictive mind-set. Using CBT, therapists teach patients practical coping skills that lead to a change in behavior. They also try to modify the thoughts that contribute to a person’s addiction. Two faster treatments are motivational interviewing and the closely related motivational-enhancement therapy. The goal of these methods is to boost a person’s drive to stop or reduce their use of pot.

Unfortunately, relapse rates remain high for all addiction psychotherapies. In a study published in 2003 psychologist Brent A. Moore, now at Yale University, and his colleagues found that 41 percent of successfully treated marijuana addicts had relapsed within six months. Scientists are searching for ways to bring about long-term abstinence more consistently.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
To each their own as long as no one else is harmed. Intoxication isn't an excuse.

yes and every business has rights as well. If I run a business and I choose to test my workers that is my right and courts have backed that right. Is it right that a bar tender is held responsible for the action of a drunk? Is it right that a business gets sued because of an accident by an employee that is under the influence? Yet they do

Haimerej

Reaction score
yes and every business has rights as well. If I run a business and I choose to test my workers that is my right and courts have backed that right.

Ok.

Is it right that a bar tender is held responsible for the action of a drunk?

I don't think so.

Is it right that a business gets sued because of an accident by an employee that is under the influence?

Why not?

Yet they do

Sure they do. Doesn't mean people have to agree about it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Ok.

I don't think so.

Why not?

Sure they do. Doesn't mean people have to agree about it.

Well if the business is held responsible then the business clearly has a right to protect themselves by testing employees and have done all they can to ensure a safe work environment. Not to mention a lower cost of insurance they get by having drug test performed

Haimerej

Reaction score
Well if the business is held responsible then the business clearly has a right to protect themselves by testing employees and have done all they can to ensure a safe work environment. Not to mention a lower cost of insurance they get by having drug test performed

That's fine. Business owners can do as they please with their business.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
No I'm not comparing it to McDonalds, I'm saying the NFL rules are easy to get past. They test May and June that is it, players know exactly when these test will be done. NFL does punish for both alcohol and prescription drugs look at the NFL\NFLPA drug abuse policy. Players can be put on drug program because of addiction of pain medication and can be put in program for alcohol abuse. If you knew from the end of May up until June of the following year you would not be tested but had to be clean by May why would that be so hard to pass unless stupid or have a real problem? I smoked weed for years so do not hand me this BS of it is not addictive, any substance that can control your life is addictive behavior.

While you can get addicted to anything, the argument here will be this - it's not the marijuana that is causing these players issues, it's that they have underlying issues they use marijuana to self-medicate.

In Randy Gregory's case - he supposedly has anxiety/bi-polar issues. the problem there isn't marijuana, the problem there is finding an alternative way day to day to cope with his medical issues. Irving seems to be hard bent on fighting back against the drugs they give you in the NFL - I agree, he's dumb and could have fought back against this WITHOUT throwing his career away.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
No worries.

I would say it's a personal issue moreso than the addictive quality of the drug. There's multiple reasons people risk things- but in this case it's not much of a risk considering the way the rules are laid out. Any player who is on the drug program willingly chose to be on it. Maybe they didn't think it through and regret it later, but trying to say they're "addicted" is a way of abdicating their responsibility. Now they're victims of that, "bad stuff."

$$$$$

Because game checks.

People compromise all the time. People grow and change their minds. Some people are dumb enough to think they can beat it. I don't understand why players should have to abstain, personally. I think it's an arbitrary rule.

But they don't need to play football.

I don't see the difference between what we're saying other than your use of the word addiction. You even say they, "choose," to play or not.
Fair enough.
I'm kind of tired of this issue.
We'll just have to disagree on particulars and nuances.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
When a person does become addicted, several types of psychotherapy can help him or her kick the habit. One of the more effective types is a form of cognitive-behavior therapy (CBT) tailored to the addictive mind-set. Using CBT, therapists teach patients practical coping skills that lead to a change in behavior. They also try to modify the thoughts that contribute to a person’s addiction. Two faster treatments are motivational interviewing and the closely related motivational-enhancement therapy. The goal of these methods is to boost a person’s drive to stop or reduce their use of pot.

Unfortunately, relapse rates remain high for all addiction psychotherapies. In a study published in 2003 psychologist Brent A. Moore, now at Yale University, and his colleagues found that 41 percent of successfully treated marijuana addicts had relapsed within six months. Scientists are searching for ways to bring about long-term abstinence more consistently.
Relapse from what?

JJHLH1

Reaction score
A center for addiction is going to say it's addictive. When stoners start having actual dependence then I'll listen. Pot is no more addictive than candy. But in this age everything is an addiction or a disease. Whatever we can do to take the accountability away from the person responsible.

Maybe you’ll listen to the CDC.

“About 1 in 10 marijuana users will become addicted. For people who begin using younger than 18, that number rises to 1 in 6. For more information visit CDC’s section on addiction or the National Institute on Drug Abuse’s pages on addiction science”.

https://www.cdc.gov/marijuana/faqs/marijuana-addiction.html

408Cowboy

Reaction score
I think the term "addictive" gets tossed around too casually. It's as if that has universal application and it does not, it is not the same for everyone. And there are different variations on addiction, emotional, mental and physical. Pot does not have the physical side of it like alcohol, cocaine, heroin, meth and pain pills but with certain people, it has the other two and that can be just as strong as the physical side of it.

Any substance than will affect the brain and give pleasure can be addictive for some people. Whether that's to avoid pain or seek pleasure, what drives that is different for people.

I have spent time with several people in rehab and various forms of recovery, including my younger son, and once they been diagnosed with addictive personality, they have to be careful of anything that might set off those triggers. That's why people going through treatment have to avoid all of it, there is nothing safe for them.

For some people, pot is a boon and they can handle it without problems although they're having some issues in CO right now with the powerful stuff and long term users, but for others, they're better off to avoid it. It is not the "harmless choice" for them.

But in all fairness to pot, I don't think it makes football players that like football prefer pot to that. Did Irving ever love playing football? McClain? Todd Marinovich, #1 pick, chose to smoke pot and surf, he never loved playing the game.

We process their decisions through our own filters and think they're stupid to give up on this opportunity but that is also the money filter, I know people that could care less about money or being rich or set for life. Isn't that the opportunity? Think getting the hell beat out of you once a week, risking injury that could incapacitate you or last the rest of your life is a fun way to make a living? Not everyone, including some that do it, is cut out for that.
:hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer:

kskboys

Reaction score
Here's where the argument of whether pot is addictive to some loses it's punch, who cares? They haven't outlawed cigarettes or alcohol, two known addictive products that kill more people annually than the combination of all drugs.

It is an empty argument for not making it legal just as gambling addiction is a reason not to legalize it. Isn't America the land of all of these freedoms we use to get our way? It is stupid to openly support crime with laws created to create criminals.

The pharma and liquor lobby's are the reason this continues to be federally illegal. Ya know the worst addiction? Corruption.
Yes, but at the same time, laws must be implemented to save us from ourselves and others. And that's where it gets sticky. We don't know yet just what the long term effects of legalization will be. Very slippery slope that could lead to very severe societal consequences.

kskboys

Reaction score
Im addicted to coffee. One lil sip and it helps me go #2 in the morning. It doesnt help me with any pain or to cope with it. But if i dont drink it I usually dont stay regular and I get constipated which is painful. Lol.

Id say its harmless and a legal remedy coffee but if i go to the dr hes gonna write a prescrition for something. And if i get nausea there is another. Pain there is another. Allergies there is another, depression there is another. Heck lets all be pill freaks since its not against the nfl rules .

But stay way from those legal cigarettes and weed jr. Weed is safer than cigarettes and coffee. Too bad it doesnt make ya go #2 though or i could eliminate that addiction. Lol
Smoking weed is not safer than coffee. Bad info.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Yes, but at the same time, laws must be implemented to save us from ourselves and others. And that's where it gets sticky. We don't know yet just what the long term effects of legalization will be. Very slippery slope that could lead to very severe societal consequences.

It was legal for centuries. Prohibition is the experiment and it's failed. It's created a black market run by ruthless gangs- just like prohibition of alcohol.