How Can These Guys Fail a Drug Test?

Haimerej

Reaction score
It’s a myth that marijuana isn’t addictive.

Is Marijuana Really Addictive?

“Yes. Regular marijuana users are known to develop tolerance, dependence, and experience signs of withdrawal when they stop taking the drug. Many marijuana users develop compulsive patterns of problematic use—finding it difficult to stop using the drug, even when they want to do so. All of these features are hallmarks of addictive drugs.”

https://americanaddictioncenters.org/marijuana-rehab/is-it-addictive

A center for addiction is going to say it's addictive. When stoners start having actual dependence then I'll listen. Pot is no more addictive than candy. But in this age everything is an addiction or a disease. Whatever we can do to take the accountability away from the person responsible.

glimmerman

Reaction score
A center for addiction is going to say it's addictive. When stoners start having actual dependence then I'll listen. Pot is no more addictive than candy. But in this age everything is an addiction or a disease. Whatever we can do to take the accountability away from the person responsible.
So easy to blame everything but the person. Own your issues. When people quit being compassionate and start putting the blame where it belongs then it gets better. Or they continue to use. They need to want help before anyone can help them.

paladin

Reaction score
I’m referencing at games though. We’ve seen alcohol end up killing people and I’m not even talking about driving while drunk. We’ve seen at games where fans get liquor courage and get violent.
Ahh
Your obviously correct.
Alcohol is a pretty nasty drug.

Haimerej

Reaction score
So easy to blame everything but the person. Own your issues. When people quit being compassionate and start putting the blame where it belongs then it gets better. Or they continue to use. They need to want help before anyone can help them.

Exactly. Read all the symptoms of marijuana, "withdrawal," listed by advocates of the, "addiction," trope and you can literally apply it to just about any habit that people try to quit.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

It is true many things can cause addictions. But the difference between candy, milk, cocaine, alcohol and marijuana, is not only the chemical aspect but the MIND-ALTERING aspect.
Candy isn't a mind-altering drug. You are allowed to operate heavy equipment or participate in sports if you have a candy or milk addiction. You can't because of safety and health reasons consume cocaine, alcohol and marijuana if you are operating heavy equipment or driving planes, trains and automobiles because they have a mind-altering element associated with them.

I'm not directing this at you so please don't take it personally. But I wish people would stop trying to compare candy, milk and other non mind-altering substances with cocaine, alcohol and marijuana. The comparisons aren't fair and don't address WHY people are concerned about the full legalization of marijuana, medical purposes notwithstanding.
https://www.denverpost.com/2017/08/25/colorado-marijuana-traffic-fatalities/

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
It is true many things can cause addictions. But the difference between candy, milk, cocaine, alcohol and marijuana, is not only the chemical aspect but the MIND-ALTERING aspect.
Candy isn't a mind-altering drug. You are allowed to operate heavy equipment or participate in sports if you have a candy or milk addiction. You can't because of safety and health reasons consume cocaine, alcohol and marijuana if you are operating heavy equipment or driving planes, trains and automobiles because they have a mind-altering element associated with them.

I'm not directing this at you so please don't take it personally. But I wish people would stop trying to compare candy, milk and other non mind-altering substances with cocaine, alcohol and marijuana. The comparisons aren't fair and don't address WHY people are concerned about the full legalization of marijuana, medical purposes notwithstanding.
Come on man, there’s a huge difference between Coca in, alcohol and marijuana. Don’t try to lump them together like the federal government does. The effects and addictive qualities are totally different.

CB61

Reaction score
Evidently, for NFL players, it is harder than I realized to smoke marijuana and not get caught.

Either that, or it is utterly amazing how careless and unprofessional some of these guys can be.

At least that's my current working theory after several players, including most notably Jets defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson and Cowboys linebacker Rolando McClain, were suspended recently under the NFL's substance abuse policy.

Without getting bogged down into too much minutiae, here are the rules: Players get tested once a year for "street drugs" (including marijuana) and that test is in May or June, during the team's Organized Team Activities. A positive test would place the player in the league's program, which entails more frequent testing and some meetings. If the player fulfills his requirements in the program, he needs to test positive two more times to get suspended. If the NFL's medical director believes the player hasn't adequately participated in the program, a second positive test could trigger a four-game suspension like the ones that Richardson and McClain got.

There are a couple key points that need to be reiterated:

1) NFL players only get tested once a year for substances and they KNOW when it will take place.

2) Even if a player tests positive once, as long as he does what the league asks, there won't be any serious repercussions unless he tests positive TWO MORE TIMES.

Let's start with the first point, which is really the most important one. Everybody knows when the test is coming. Every year. To use some Wellsian (Ted, that is) terms, I was "generally aware" during my time as a player of several teammates who "more probable than not" smoked marijuana on a fairly regular basis.

How do I know? They talked about it, hinted at it and even smelled like it from time to time. Yet none of those guys that I remember, with the notable exception of one after we were no longer teammates, ever had any issue with the NFL's substance abuse policy, which is an intelligence test as much as anything. But don't just take my word for it.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/135008328/sheldon-richardson-rolando-mcclain-suspended
Kind of reminds me of Michael Irvin getting caught in the worst part of Dallas buying cocaine of course when you park your BMW outside of crappy Motel what do you expect talk about stupid

Haimerej

Reaction score

To be fair, I'm talking about addiction. Of course it's mind altering. That's why most people use it. But for people to say it's addictive conjures images of an alcoholic with DT's or a heroine user experiencing the sometimes fatal process of getting clean. It's not comparable to other drugs as far as creating actual dependency.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
How many people paid attention to laws against drinking and driving when they were under 25 years old?

Very few that I knew thought they would get caught or have an accident from drinking and driving.
It was almost a rite of passage.... to prove you could handle it

I did it way too many times

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was almost a rite of passage.... to prove you could handle it

I did it way too many times

There are some instances where I would trust A below to drive way more than B.

A. Specific College Friends after a night of bar hopping.

B. Certain Co-workers completely sober.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Come on man, there’s a huge difference between Coca in, alcohol and marijuana. Don’t try to lump them together like the federal government does. The effects and addictive qualities are totally different.
I gave you the specific context for my categorization.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
To be fair, I'm talking about addiction. Of course it's mind altering. That's why most people use it. But for people to say it's addictive conjures images of an alcoholic with DT's or a heroine user experiencing the sometimes fatal process of getting clean. It's not comparable to other drugs as far as creating actual dependency.
Candy is not mind-altering in the sense that it will impair one's mental functions.
Second, actual dependency or not, really doesn't matter. If you can't stop when you need to, it's an addiction. The source may be different, but the results are the same. I'll leave the atom splitting to scientists. :)

Haimerej

Reaction score
Candy is not mind-altering in the sense that it will impair one's mental functions.

Who said candy is mind altering? No one is saying marijuana isn't mind altering.

Second, actual dependency or not, really doesn't matter. If you can't stop when you need to, it's an addiction. The source may be different, but the results are the same. I'll leave the atom splitting to scientists. :)

That's a question of values, not needs. If someone chooses to get high instead of play football, it's not because they're, "addicted," to marijuana anymore than a fat person is addicted to Twinkies. Neither substance is actually addictive.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Let's say you apply for a high paying job. Couple years and you're set for life. Make it 10 and you're talking generational wealth. One stipulation- gotta be a vegan.

Due to the money most would give it a shot. The people who don't (or try and fail) didn't do it because meat or dairy are addictive. They just made a value judgment that eating that diet was more important than money to them. They aren't idiots. They aren't addicts. They're people making their own decision about how they want to live their life. Having your own opinions about money vs diet doesn't make their diet choice addictive.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Actually it's not just as legal because pot is not legal under federal law. Technically the feds could enforce the law even on residents in which pot is legal under state law, they just choose not to.

In any case, the point with these players is simply that as long as pot is banned by the NFL, they are going to have to test negative if they want to play in the NFL. If they can't find a way to stay away from pot for a short while before the test, their own stupidity is to blame.

I agree 100% he broke the outdated 100 year old rules and should be punished. But what should be the maximum punishment? Banning a player for life over weed shouldnt even be a consideration. A 1 game suspension is fair. Jerrah is prolly just thankful RG is not a drunkard and gonna go out and kill somebody driving.

80% of the players smoke weed. They arent gonna comply to taking the Nfls list of approved medicines. I wish every player in the League would rally to have the punishment lowered or have weed taken off the list of banned substances. Its their body and they should have a choice to use Weed medically if it decreases their risk of injuring themselves or others with harmful addicting meds. There is no chemical drug treatment program for weed. Its not chemically addictive. There are no withdrawels. Lol. Of course if youre in constant pain and cant cope or sleep you may have some addictive dependency if you cant take all the allowed painkillers and injections the nfl hands out like candy to mix with your anxiety meds and alcohol.

Rules are rules. I wouldnt play nfl football for trillions of dollars. Much less for a few million. I dont like playing crash up derby with my body. With or without weed im out. I dont like pills needles or alcohol so i will stick to madden.

I dont know why the NFL is clinging to outdated policies. The goverment in those NFL states are collecting revenues on medical weed. If it didnt have medicinal properties id just keep my mouth shut. If 80% of the players use weed id definitely be lowering the penalties. Before they start using it as a negotiating tool to get traded to negotiate these new guaranteed contracts. Lol Id be suprized if some changes arent made before 2020.

Jerry just lauched an attack at the weed policy. Hes signing a problem weed player and if you listen to him and stephen they are all in on Gregory anyways. Lol. They wont sign up to overpay a de but theyll shore up the right side at de and ink the stoner thats getting crucified for a minor infraction. But in their eyes they see reasoning and I wonder why? But I like the move by Jerry and stephen. How can they crucify one the players when 80% of the team are stoners. Lol

Last edited:

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
I think we should have a crackdown and get weed, alcohol, pills and injection etc out of the league if its a morality issue. Should be no different. kill sports betting on football also.

Who cares about the players if they wanna play let them play injured or sick. Let them go to work somewhere where they dont have to shoot ya up with injections and pass out opioids like candy at work and promote alcohol use as long as they dont touch that legal medically approved non addictive harmless weed. Lol. Give them a life sentence. Ban all the players who cant pass a hair sample. Lol.