How come we never hold the defense or special teams accountable for "stepping up"?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Why do we never get on this defense and special teams for dominating bad teams? Does special teams and good defense not transfer against good teams? Are those phases of the game only important against the bad teams?
Now stop with the Whatabout argument. The fact is with his deferred bonus payments this was always about Dak proving he was the man and that's (for me) the biggest disappointment from yesterday.
Factor in that this is probably the best roster he's going to have around him (with the pending big contracts effecting the rest of the squad), he just isn't able to get us over the line and with the massive CAP implications on the next contract + deferred payments means HE has to play up to the contract.
For balance, when Micah gets paid top money he'll also have added expectation.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Now stop with the Whatabout argument. The fact is with his deferred bonus payments this was always about Dak proving he was the man and that's (for me) the biggest disappointment from yesterday.
Factor in that this is probably the best roster he's going to have around him (with the pending big contracts effecting the rest of the squad), he just isn't able to get us over the line and with the massive CAP implications on the next contract + deferred payments means HE has to play up to the contract.
For balance, when Micah gets paid top money he'll also have added expectation.
That's all good but this thread isn't about Dak. He's not the guy and so on and so forth. My question is......why does our special teams and defense not show up against these big opponents? Is special teams not allowed to make plays against good teams? Are good teams not allowed to throw interceptions?

Brax

Reaction score
Why do we never get on this defense and special teams for dominating bad teams? Does special teams and good defense not transfer against good teams? Are those phases of the game only important against the bad teams?
And what did the special teams or D do to cause this loss, not scoring a TD, giving the ball to the O twice at the end of the game, good ST return. I get it you want the 85 bears or the ravens type D on budget dollars so you can pay the O side of the ball. Just remember the creed here is we like our guys, has been for close to 3 decades.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
They never came out of the locker room to play the 3rd Q. Got steamrolled.

Brax

Reaction score
The defense didn’t allow a point in the fourth. They got two consecutive stops. They played well in leverage situations. In this offense-biased league, I don’t know what you’re expecting against that offense.
He wants less than 14 points allowed and at least defensively 1 TD and 2 TOs he’s not asking for a lot is he.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
And what did the special teams or D do to cause this loss, not scoring a TD, giving the ball to the O twice at the end of the game, good ST return. I get it you want the 85 bears or the ravens type D on budget dollars so you can pay the O side of the ball. Just remember the creed here is we like our guys, has been for close to 3 decades.
Naw I don't need '85 Bears. Do we expect our offense to score against good teams or just the bad ones? Against good teams right? So we have that standard for the offense. But never for defense and special teams. As if we don't think good special teams play can happen against good teams. Or that its ok for good teams to score on our defense.....

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He wants less than 14 points allowed and at least defensively 1 TD and 2 TOs he’s not asking for a lot is he.
So you're ok with 14 points in the 3rd quarter? Genius. Yeah we can't talk sports then because that's not good. But keep talking in hyperbole when you don't have a leg to stand on. Let's hold this team accountable and stop holding certain positions and coaches accountable.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
That's all good but this thread isn't about Dak. He's not the guy and so on and so forth. My question is......why does our special teams and defense not show up against these big opponents? Is special teams not allowed to make plays against good teams? Are good teams not allowed to throw interceptions?
You're deflecting responsibility. Can argue that the secondary was poor, but with a corp of Gilmore, Lewis and Bland should they be held to the same standard as Dak?
Someone tried making the argument about Dak being better than Hurts, well in a vacuum then probably yes, but taking into account the differential in Contract then Hurts comes out on top.
Dak is being held to a different criteria because (reportedly) he's looking for a table setting contract and there's that deferred bonus payments to the CAP.

The Natural

Reaction score
Both units deserve some heat. If I'm not mistaken, the Eagles had two touchdown drives where we spotted them the ball near their own 40 yard line. One from Aubrey booting the ball out of bounds and another due to a boneheaded penalty, can't make those kinds of mistakes.

As for the defense here are some stats:
  • 5-0 when they hold the opposing team to 20 points or less
  • 5-0 when they log at least one interception
  • 0-3 when they don't have any interceptions or allow the opposing team to score more than 20 points.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You're deflecting responsibility. Can argue that the secondary was poor, but with a corp of Gilmore, Lewis and Bland should they be held to the same standard as Dak?
Someone tried making the argument about Dak being better than Hurts, well in a vacuum then probably yes, but taking into account the differential in Contract then Hurts comes out on top.
Dak is being held to a different criteria because (reportedly) he's looking for a table setting contract and there's that deferred bonus payments to the CAP.
Deflecting from what? We've established Dak sucks....we've established that already he's not the guy. So what am I deflecting? This is not about Hurts or Dak but you're trying to make it about them for some strange yet predictable reason.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
It’s a very good question. The defense all year in big spots has given up key first downs, made a ton of silly penalties and never looks like the aggressor against top competition.

Everyone will talk about yesterday forcing Philly to a 3 & out to get the ball but one of those plays they gave away to move the ball off the goal one to avoid a safety. All day long from the opening drive Philly told you that they felt they could move the ball on you when they needed to and they did for the most part.

Also how many games in a row is it they’ve given up points to start a game now? 4, 6, ?…can’t remember. Against quality opponents Quinn hasn’t done great. Special teams I don’t have a huge issue at all with tbh overall.

Kwyn

Reaction score
The defense didn’t allow a point in the fourth. They got two consecutive stops. They played well in leverage situations. In this offense-biased league, I don’t know what you’re expecting against that offense.
Against that offense?

How about a single turnover?

They turn it over more than many other teams but we got zero.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I thought the Defense played well. Remember the Eagles are a good team and in games like that momentum goes back and forth. I'm not down on the team it was a good game, and I look for them to grow from this. Pay attention to detail, stop the penalties and they'll be fine.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Deflecting from what? We've established Dak sucks....we've established that already he's not the guy. So what am I deflecting? This is not about Hurts or Dak but you're trying to make it about them for some strange yet predictable reason.
Sorry, I didn't realise you'd turned to the Hate Side.

bewp7

Reaction score
people do

but no one on the defense eat up 20% of the entire cap by themself

sorry the franchise qb is held to a higher standard but that is how it go not just for the cowboys it is for every team

Brax

Reaction score
So you're ok with 14 points in the 3rd quarter? Genius. Yeah we can't talk sports then because that's not good. But keep talking in hyperbole when you don't have a leg to stand on. Let's hold this team accountable and stop holding certain positions and coaches accountable.
What I expected gloss over the D doing their job giving the ball back twice to the O and watching them mismanage the clock and fizzle out. Your problem is your feelings for certain players and a avoiding the the questions with BS and nonsense. Have a good week and enjoy next Sunday it’s your type of game.

foofighters

Reaction score
Actually people do. The offense (Dak and MM) are the focal point of the team. It is what it is. If you're the QB or coach to the most popular team in the USA then you're bound to be looked at under a microscope.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Actually people do. The offense (Dak and MM) are the focal point of the team. It is what it is. If you're the QB or coach to the most popular team in the USA then you're bound to be looked at under a microscope.
I’m not talking about the media or outsiders…. Im talking about this fanbase. Nobody ever expects anything from those units snd we don’t get our best players from those units to contribute in big games….

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
What I expected gloss over the D doing their job giving the ball back twice to the O and watching them mismanage the clock and fizzle out. Your problem is your feelings for certain players and an avoiding the the questions with BS and nonsense. Have a good week and enjoy next Sunday it’s your type of game.
Funny how you only show up after losses….