How could we possibly be better next year?

stinkface

Reaction score
Seriously. We have acquired no upgrade in talent over last year and we have less talent then last year. 40 percent of our starting O line from last year is gone and we lost our lead back. We have dead man walking as far as a Head Coach and a D Coordinator on a one year contract that was fired from his last job as head coach. We have a new D scheme without the players required to play that new scheme. Lastly, we have a harder schedule then last year and every team in the Division (except perhaps the Eagles who lost two really good players) have gotten better.

PS. Am I missing anything as far as any arrows pointed up?

Jarntt

Reaction score
Seriously. We have acquired no upgrade in talent over last year and we have less talent then last year. 40 percent of our starting O line from last year is gone and we lost our lead back. We have dead man walking as far as a Head Coach and a D Coordinator on a one year contract that was fired from his last job as head coach. We have a new D scheme without the players required to play that new scheme. Lastly, we have a harder schedule then last year and every team in the Division (except perhaps the Eagles who lost two really good players) have gotten better.

Not that I have much faith in the Jones Boys, but it's the middle of March. Your comment reads as if the season is starting next week. I felt that after what they did last year they were going to be more aggressive with trades than FAs. They are creatures of habit and since they received positive feedback on the two trades last year I think in their mind (and in large part because of the more cap friendly contracts) they will be looking to add players that way. I'm not saying it's smart, but again, it's March

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Healthy Diggs
Overshown ends up being legit LB
Mazi remembers he likes to hit people
Sam Williams starts taking Focus Factor
Parsons doesn't wear himself out by week 10
Zimmer scheme makes a difference

Defense could improve

Offensively, probably not possible...but if they just stayed top 10ish, if the D improves, that's enough.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Not that I have much faith in the Jones Boys, but it's the middle of March. Your comment reads as if the season is starting next week. I felt that after what they did last year they were going to be more aggressive with trades than FAs. They are creatures of habit and since they received positive feedback on the two trades last year I think in their mind (and in large part because of the more cap friendly contracts) they will be looking to add players that way. I'm not saying it's smart, but again, it's March
The other thing that will not help us this year but could in future years is letting Dak's dead money hit the cap now. Whether we re-sign him next offseason or not, it is a very cap healthy move to let him play it out and not re-structure him and crush our cap 4 or 5 years like it would if we extended him now and pushed all of this years cap hit into future years. We will of course waste the cap space next year, but that's not the point.

Right now it doesn't look like we are SB contender so take the cap hit now. 5 years from now we may be in the mix...well, we won't be, but we may be...no we won't be...

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This is all speculation on my part but, we might see improvement in the following areas:

Interior DL: I hoping with a year under Mazi's belt, and perhaps drafting someone like Sweat or Fiske, we are bigger and better against the run.

TE: I am really hoping Schoonmaker takes a huge step forward. This would obviously help in both the run and passing games.

RB: A bit of an obscure improvement but, I think the FO really misread Pollard as RB1. Obviously, coming off a prior season knee injury didn't help. And, as much as I like Dowdle, he is nothing more than a journey man RB2. That is a long way of saying we could see improvement in the running game with a well-placed draft pick and a veteran. And, while I am on it, Duece Vaughn is a nice feel-good story, but should not be taking up a roster place.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score

We still have #11 and #4 they can solve all our problems

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Healthy Diggs

Defense could improve

Offensively, probably not possible...but if they just stayed top 10ish, if the D improves, that's enough.
Dak was average until the middle of the season. I remember early in the season CeeDee seemed to struggle as well. If we improve the offensive line at center/guard(Tyler will be a tackle) and bring in a 3 down back the offense will be improved. The defense will improve if Gilmore is resigned we would have as good a top 4 corner room as any in the league. Sam has more talent than Armstrong and Mazi should be fat again. The Cowboys could still improve.

Majic

Reaction score
Healthy Diggs

Defense could improve

How do we know Parsons won't wear himself out? Speculation he will line up in A gap, but nothing to suggest he won't be full time rusher. Hard to see at this point how Zimmer's scheme will help him.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
"
Dak was average until the middle of the season. I remember early in the season CeeDee seemed to struggle as well. If we improve the offensive line at center/guard(Tyler will be a tackle) and bring in a 3 down back the offense will be improved. The defense will improve if Gilmore is resigned we would have as good a top 4 corner room as any in the league. Sam has more talent than Armstrong and Mazi should be fat again. The Cowboys could still improve.
"Mazi should be fat again."

There's always hope.

:lmao2:

Big_D

Reaction score
You're missing the Stephen factor. He's this team's Ace in the Hole. Watch him cut corners for the next 3 months, make honest offers, do his due diligence, take other teams scraps and then whittle this team down to a dynasty!

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
How do we know Parsons won't wear himself out? Speculation he will line up in A gap, but nothing to suggest he won't be full time rusher. Hard to see at this point how Zimmer's scheme will help him.
Sorry, wasn't saying those would happen. Just making a list of things that would need to happen for them to be better

Last edited:

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

Good question but this is my take .........I think BOTH sides ( Dak/France and Jerry ) may put all their chips on this season.

*****Jerry .........he is telling Dak he can only sell his extension ( to fans and/or media) for X amount ( $50M ) coz of the poor postseason. IF he wants $60M+, he will have to earn it with a strong postseason without much help from free agency coz his cap numbers. In other words, sign an extension significantly lower than you want or bet on yourself and wait until the end of the season but we cannot give you much help.

*** If we make it to the NFCCG and/or Super Bowl, you can write your own numbers and I can sell them

*** If not and you have a season-ending injury or poor play, you either walk or accept our original offer much lower than had hoped. But that's the chance you take if you bet on yourself.

This is the only way I can see the logic to what they are doing. There's is no way, IMO they are going to extend him $60M AT THIS TIME. That is almost $5M MORE than the highest-paid QB ( Burrow) at $55M. Besides, if they were willing to do that, it would be done by now to free cap money. I know this sounds a bit crazy but ..........