How could we possibly be better next year?

Havic

Reaction score
Healthy Diggs
Overshown ends up being legit LB
Mazi remembers he likes to hit people
Sam Williams starts taking Focus Factor
Parsons doesn't wear himself out by week 10
Zimmer scheme makes a difference

Defense could improve

Offensively, probably not possible...but if they just stayed top 10ish, if the D improves, that's enough.

Both overshown and Diggs may have a year coming back like Gallup. I don’t foresee Diggs being better this year before the injury. Overshown was an unknown prior to the injury.

Mazi has publicly stated he doesn’t like football and treats it as a job. Agreed on parsons.

I think depth is going to be a major concern. Everyone in our division has improved quite a bit before the draft while we are weaker imo

Reactions: JPM
Reaction score
Seriously. We have acquired no upgrade in talent over last year and we have less talent then last year. 40 percent of our starting O line from last year is gone and we lost our lead back. We have dead man walking as far as a Head Coach and a D Coordinator on a one year contract that was fired from his last job as head coach. We have a new D scheme without the players required to play that new scheme. Lastly, we have a harder schedule then last year and every team in the Division (except perhaps the Eagles who lost two really good players) have gotten better.

PS. Am I missing anything as far as any arrows pointed up?
On a lighter note, profitability is at an all time high! So we got that going for us...

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Both overshown and Diggs may have a year coming back like Gallup. I don’t foresee Diggs being better this year before the injury. Overshown was an unknown prior to the injury.

Mazi has publicly stated he doesn’t like football and treats it as a job. Agreed on parsons.

I think depth is going to be a major concern. Everyone in our division has improved quite a bit before the draft while we are weaker imo
Agreed

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seriously. We have acquired no upgrade in talent over last year and we have less talent then last year. 40 percent of our starting O line from last year is gone and we lost our lead back. We have dead man walking as far as a Head Coach and a D Coordinator on a one year contract that was fired from his last job as head coach. We have a new D scheme without the players required to play that new scheme. Lastly, we have a harder schedule then last year and every team in the Division (except perhaps the Eagles who lost two really good players) have gotten better.

We aren't going to be better....many fans want to tank, Jerry is granting their wish. He's also gonna be their worse nightmare by using to savings to extend Dak.
Jerry created this mess by restructuring Daks contract several times...now, he's trying to clean it up.
I don't see Jerry parting with Dak, Jerry doesn't like to pay people for doing nothing, that's why MM is back. If Dak is not here this or next season, it will be Dak's doing.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
You're missing the Stephen factor. He's this team's Ace in the Hole. Watch him cut corners for the next 3 months, make honest offers, do his due diligence, take other teams scraps and then whittle this team down to a dynasty!
team should work and invest in the recycling industry, trash trash trash!!! Every year the same thing

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

Just don't waste CAP on anything other than one year JAG's, reset the CAP and let's see what MM, Zimm, Dak can do in their contract years.

kevm3

Reaction score
Get a real GM. Otherwise we're going to assemble the same mediocrity, aka a Jerry friendly, passive coach that creates creampuff teams that get destroyed by physicality in the regular season and the playoffs and we'll have a sprinkle of talent that we draft well surrounded by bargains in free agency. 2nd round is the ceiling.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Major injuries for 31 other teams? It certainly won't be from adding talent.

stinkface

Reaction score
Maybe this is the year we draft a QB in round 4 and he replaces Dak when he physically breaks down. Shades of the Romo/Dak story of years ago..

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I'm sorry do dorrance is way better than Williams!!
Dorance was an excellent and reliable player for this team for years. Sam Williams is a low life team cancer that should have been cut 2 years ago. Might as well bring back Gregory and Bossmanfat.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Healthy Diggs
Overshown ends up being legit LB
Mazi remembers he likes to hit people
Sam Williams starts taking Focus Factor
Parsons doesn't wear himself out by week 10
Zimmer scheme makes a difference

Defense could improve

Offensively, probably not possible...but if they just stayed top 10ish, if the D improves, that's enough.
I realize that you are trying to be optimistic but this is dreaming IMHO.

Chasing6

Reaction score

And we currently have significant less depth, if we are expecting others to step up.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dak was average until the middle of the season. I remember early in the season CeeDee seemed to struggle as well. If we improve the offensive line at center/guard(Tyler will be a tackle) and bring in a 3 down back the offense will be improved. The defense will improve if Gilmore is resigned we would have as good a top 4 corner room as any in the league. Sam has more talent than Armstrong and Mazi should be fat again. The Cowboys could still improve.
The early struggles was mostly scheme/play calls. Once Mike changed what he was calling they did much better and he will have to be on top of things again. If he waits till game 6 to make adjustments it may be too late.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Dorance was an excellent and reliable player for this team for years. Sam Williams is a low life team cancer that should have been cut 2 years ago. Might as well bring back Gregory and Bossmanfat.
Lol lol right

fivetwos

Reaction score
There’s one way they can be better….

All these mid to late round draft picks and UDFAs that they insist will be stud starters actually become that.

I’ll just sit here and wait.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I don’t have a good feeling about next season and this was before we lost a number of key players to free agency. The confidence of the team had to be badly shaken by the blowout loss to GB in the playoffs. Even during the regular season we were getting our butts handed to us by contending teams. McCarthy was brought here to get the Cowboys over the hump and it simply hasn’t happened. We’ll see how it goes in 2024 but I’ll be very surprised if we continue to win 12 games.

morasp

Reaction score
Current Roster
Schoonmaker Tools to become a good pass catcher
Mazi He'll be back to doing what he does best
Luepke I was excited when we signed him and he saw time last year should see a second year bump
Kendricks an upgrade to our run and pass defense and will have them lined up at the snap
Diggs IR last year
Zimmer even with the pick six I really doubt the packers would've marched down the field and scored that many points against his defense

FA TBD

Draft
Offensive linemen
(plural) The right guys could be a big improvement to both the run game and pass protection which wasn't that good last year
WR The WR draft class is deep, go get a guy that can create some separation
RB Just get a guy with some vision that can catch some passes for yards. Last year MM wanted to run the ball and couldn't, I think partly due to blocking. Pollard averaged a pedestrian 4 Y/A.
DL Another run Stuffer

RB draft class (by current NFL.com rankings)
Brooks (ACL) Rushing 187/1139 6.1 Y/A Rec. 25/286 11.4 Y/R

Wright Rushing 137/1013 7.39 Y/A Rec. 22/141 6.4 Y/R

Benson Rushing 156/906 5.8 Y/A Rec. 20/227 11.4 Y/R

Lloyd Rushing 116/820 7.1 Y/A Rec. 13/232 17.8 Y/R

Tracy Rushing 113/716 6.33 Y/A Rec. 19/132 6.9 Y/R

Davis Rushing 199/1129 5.7 Y/A Rec. 33/323 9.8 Y/R

Shipley Rushing 167/827 4.95 Y/A Rec. 31/244 7.9Y/R

Corum Rushing 258/1245 4.82 Y/A Rec. 16/117 7.3 Y/R

Guerendo Rushing 132/810 6.14 Y/A Rec. 22/234 10.6 Y/R

Allen Rushing 181/984 5.43 Y/A Rec. 28/132 4.7 Y/R

Schrader Rushing 276/1627 5.89 Y/A Rec. 22/191 8.7 Y/R

BigD_95

Reaction score

Dak was still developing last year as a QB. In about another 5 years he should be ready