How did Cooper Rush fall through the cracks?

Mobinvans

Reaction score
He wasn’t a very good QB that’s why

He has grown over last 5 years

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Bingo! This is the same Rush that looked horrible in the first exhibition game this year. This is the same Rush that was playing for his football life in a roster spot battle with Grier. Now some of you claim he's this great QB. I'll continue to say he's a decent BACKUP QB that's helping this team win games. The real hero is our DEFENSE....not Rush.

Ask the Bengals about Rush.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I mean he's been in the league since 2017. He went undrafted. Has been cut several times. Cut this year and cleared waivers. Yet, here he is at almost 29 years old balling out with the Cowboys. To the point that people are suggesting he become the starter. I mean, this doesn't even happen unless you are Kurt Warner. I am by no means suggesting that he is good as Kurt but he's playing at a decently high level. How did this happen?

Historically Cooper Rush has always been not very good in preseason games and allegedly he has never really shown much in practice either. I guess he just turns it on when the lights shine the brightest. Realistically though, he is a backup and we have witnessed the best games he will ever play in his career.

Slick

Reaction score
Rush & the team are running on all cylinders thanks to a much improved coaching staff. Rush has had a handful of over thrown passes as well. But with the team coming away w/wins, nobody seems to point that out. Unless of course it's Prescott center. Sad!
At least they aren’t under thrown out behind. He’s also not throwing picks. I’ll take steady all day long without bone headed throws into coverage.

Slick

Reaction score
What you're saying is that the system is pretty decent (enough for a QB2 to perform at a winning level), we've now got the O-line that's fixed some of last years issues, and a Defense that is top 10.

With all of this expectations are high, there are no excuses (which certain fans tend to roll out).
The Stars are aligning, Dak needs to pick them when he's back...if so very happy days, if not, then he's on a short leash as we've got a lesser but effective enough QB2
My expectations of Dak is that he’s 39x better than Cooper. He needs to elevate his game.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I mean he's been in the league since 2017. He went undrafted. Has been cut several times. Cut this year and cleared waivers. Yet, here he is at almost 29 years old balling out with the Cowboys. To the point that people are suggesting he become the starter. I mean, this doesn't even happen unless you are Kurt Warner. I am by no means suggesting that he is good as Kurt but he's playing at a decently high level. How did this happen?
Because he is not balling out and he has a weak arm.

He is playing well but how many weak arm QB's actually have had stellar careers in the NFL. I am very happy with his play but he is not a long term starter in this league. If he were to go somewhere and start he will be a stopgap player for a team looking for their next great QB.

Acceptablename

Reaction score
Rush made himself i good QB after he was signed. He didn’t just take a pay check

DallasDomination

Reaction score
He didn’t fall through the cracks.. Cooper Rush was abysmal, down right horrible. But as we’ve seen with time people do improve. And I never knock a player that’s improving. That to me is a huge asset in character.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Hope you say the same thing when Dak wins. Cause I've been saying this for awhile. And if our defense wasn't lights out, it wouldn't surprise me if we'd be 0-4. Rush is doing well to drive the bus. Nothing spectacular and I appreciate that. He's a backup and he plays like one. But again....the defense is the real hero.
Yes I do, I'm no Dak Hater. I reiterate you're everything that's wrong with the fanbase (and Ownership), you focus on individuals rather than the team.
Your praise of Dak coupled with the flippant disregard for Rush as a bus driver is palpable.
If someone called Dak a bus driver you'd probably go full Hater alert.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
He also is not the same player he was in 2017. Think about it. If you start a job at 22 or 23 and it’s five years later, the experience the coaching or mentoring will have helped improve you.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
"Fall through the cracks"?????

Look I LOVE how Rush has literally saved the season serving as a backup QB, but some of this talk is getting ridiculous.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Because he is not balling out and he has a weak arm.

He is playing well but how many weak arm QB's actually have had stellar careers in the NFL. I am very happy with his play but he is not a long term starter in this league. If he were to go somewhere and start he will be a stopgap player for a team looking for their next great QB.
Nobody (other than out and out Haters) think Rush is a permanent QB1, but none of this distracts from the fact that has been able to work this Offense. Fully expect Dak to take this to another level.
What fans are saying is that Rush has shown that there aren't really issues with: the O-Line, running game and receiving Corp and gamecalling/strategy....he has set the bar, the expectation that a fit Dak should outplay what's been provided by Rush....no excuses, no buts.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
Bingo! This is the same Rush that looked horrible in the first exhibition game this year. This is the same Rush that was playing for his football life in a roster spot battle with Grier. Now some of you claim he's this great QB. I'll continue to say he's a decent BACKUP QB that's helping this team win games. The real hero is our DEFENSE....not Rush.
I think Cooper understands this too

Scottishcowboy

Reaction score
Rush is what he is, a back up QB who can stand in for spot duty. I've been pleasantly surprised and also really pleased for Rush that he's kept the ship afloat.

He is however completing about 50% of his passes and simply doesn't have the arm to throw outside the hashes so we have a limiting offence based on arm strength alone.

it's also the case we played the slow starting Bengals and then "probably" 2 poor teams so we may be having this conversation sitting at 1-3 or even 0-4 if our schedule had played out differently. Points scored have not been good so we'd have Ls if our defence hadn't strangled the other team..............Rush has said this too.

I'm no Dak lover or hater and I'm super-pleased for Rush but pumping him up as some hidden gem about to explode on the NFL isn't based on his play, its to knock the "other guy"

ondaedg

Reaction score
It's about expectation. I agree Dak would be put through the ringer, but you have to take into account the contract comparison and what improvements could be made with the additional CAP.
Stop demeaning Rush, he's performing above all expectations AND HELPINH US WIN. If you feel threatened by these Dak Haters just focus and wait when Dak gets to show what he can do.
Rush's comparison is against Dalton...take that and rejoice in the Cowboys performance rather than decrying our players (even when we win)

Who’s demeaning anyone? I’ve posted multiple times here how great he’s been but I’ve also been realistic about it. He has been above average which is amazing all things considered. But high level? Ya no.

pansophy

Reaction score
The Cowboys have allowed 43 points during his current three-game winning streak.

I've seen Dak and Romo lose GAMES where the opponent scored more than 43, and fans blamed them for the loss. :rolleyes:

Rush is doing his job and the defense has his back. Let's stop mentioning Kurt Warner and Tom Brady in relation to him.
+1000

Rush is fine but people give the QB more credit than they deserve and more blame.