How did Romo lovers feel about Romo starting that meaningless game in preseason 2016?

Yobwocs

Reaction score
How did you feel about Romo starting that meaningless game in preseason 2016? Why do you think Jones and McCarthy and the staff are much more reluctant to start Dak in the preseason now than they were Romo who is known more for injuries?

I know some Romo guys hates Dak and wasn't ready for the TR era to end when Dak abruptly ended it.

Do you think it was stupid to start Romo in that game? Maybe if not, he might still be playing now, or at least be playing for 3 more years.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
What is the point here? Is this some kind of butterfly effect problem? If Romo would not have started he would have kept playing and Jason Witten would now be the best broadcaster in football?

I pick whichever scenario results in me making more money and achieving a higher general state of happiness.

*for the record: I like Romo. I like Dak.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was a big Romo fan but he was at the point where every time he got hit and took just one second longer than necessary to get up you expected he was injured and done.

Considering how Dak played when he took over, it seems to have worked out fine.

You might want to find a different argument for your agenda .. just saying :D

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
How did you feel about Romo starting that meaningless game in preseason 2016? Why do you think Jones and McCarthy and the staff are much more reluctant to start Dak in the preseason now than they were Romo who is known more for injuries?

I know some Romo guys hates Dak and wasn't ready for the TR era to end when Dak abruptly ended it.

Do you think it was stupid to start Romo in that game? Maybe if not, he might still be playing now, or at least be playing for 3 more years.
Dak abruptly ended it :lmao:

garyo1954

Reaction score
No entry in my diary mentioning it.
I did mention I played fetch with my dog which indicates Romo's injury wasn't the highlight of my day.

Reaction score
Didn't care then anf

Didn't care then and don't care now. There's much more media hype about preseason snaps than it deserves. I just want to start seeing Dak close-out games with a win, without that stats are meaningless.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Injuries can occur in OTAs, training camp, preseason games, regular season games and even off the field. I don’t believe decisions should be made out of fear of injuries.

I agree. I had no problem with Romo starting that game. I didn't want him to stay out there for long, but it doesn't really bother me if coaches decide players need a little work or if they don't. I don't think either way is necessarily proven to be more effective.

Yobwocs

Reaction score
I was a big Romo fan but he was at the point where every time he got hit and took just one second longer than necessary to get up you expected he got injured and was done.

Hey hey now. I don't have an agenda. I'm just wondering why we're not starting Dak now in the preseason, yet we started Romo in 2016? Not that I wanna start Dak, I'm just asking what's different now.

Since as you said, Romo's body was breaking down but we started him anyways, despite the fact that Dak was tearing it up in the preseason in '16 so why didn't we let him continue rolling? Seemed stupid to start Romo in the preseason, but the same attitude doesn't apply with our need to start Dak currently. That's all I'm asking. Have we finally learned our lesson and don't want history to repeat?

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
1972 Cowboys had 7 preseason games (6 and the college all star) I dont know how many Staubach started but he got a separated shoulder in one of them and, in my opinion, had it not happened the 72 Dolphins would not be undefeated and we wouldnt have to hear about that all our lives. But it happened. The starters used to play way more in preseason than they do these days. I used to be normal. The holding them back is a relatively recent development.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I was a big Romo fan but he was at the point where every time he got hit and took just one second longer than necessary to get up you expected he got injured and was done.

Some injuries are definitely flukes, but it certainly seemed like it wasn't a question at that point in his career of if Romo was going to get injured, but when. I think that's why so many of us badly wanted Dallas to draft his successor. It's funny that it turned out best that we missed out on the first-round guys. Yes, they would have stepped in like Dak did, but I don't think it can be argued at all at this point that any of them have been better than Dak ... and we didn't have to spend a first-round pick to get him.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hey hey now. I don't have an agenda. I'm just wondering why we're not starting Dak now in the preseason, yet we started Romo in 2016? Not that I wanna start Dak, I'm just asking what's different now.

Since as you said, Romo's body was breaking down but we started him anyways, despite the fact that Dak was tearing it up in the preseason in '16 so why didn't we let him continue rolling? Seemed stupid to start Romo in the preseason, but the same attitude doesn't apply with our need to start Dak currently. That's all I'm asking. Have we finally learned our lesson and don't want history to repeat?
I do not care if Dak played in the preseason or not but given how many games he missed last year, it would have been nice (if not for his injury of course) to see him play at least a series or two in the Texans dress rehearsal game.

In any case, I think he will be fine as long as his shoulder/arm injury is healing like they say.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
1972 Cowboys had 7 preseason games (6 and the college all star) I dont know how many Staubach started but he got a separated shoulder in one of them and, in my opinion, had it not happened the 72 Dolphins would not be undefeated and we wouldn't have to hear about that all our lives. But it happened. The starters used to play way more in preseason than they do these days. I used to be normal. The holding them back is a relatively recent development.
And a good one even if it sends some into la la land.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score

Logical answer is he isn’t as “fine” as we were being told. So when a player isn’t healthy it is smart to keep them out of these games.

gimmesix

Reaction score

Different coaches have different philosophies about it. Romo had missed a huge chunk of 2015, so I think we just wanted to get him out there some. It also was the third preseason game, when the starters usually play at least a series. Frankly, if Dak had not had the shoulder issue, he would have started the game against Houston on Saturday, especially since he missed a huge chunk of 2020.