How Did Tony Romo Go Undrafted?

JFlgn

Reaction score
What's most impressive about Romo is that the Cowboys somehow were able to take the time to develop him in spite of not having an established qb he could learn from.

Say what you want about BillPa, but the way he and the rest of the organization handled Romo is nothing short of amazing. The fact that he didn't have to get on the field until he was most ready to succeed is so very impressive seeing as how qbs like Tony Banks, QCar, Chutch, Henson, etc. were coming in and out.

arglebargle

Reaction score
cowboyz;1390306 said:
i could've sworn that earlier articles said he wasn't invited to the combine and he was there just to throw balls to the wrs.

That's the story as I remember it as well. And that he impressed some of the football people there while doing it.

arglebargle

Reaction score
JFlgn;1390404 said:
What's most impressive about Romo is that the Cowboys somehow were able to take the time to develop him in spite of not having an established qb he could learn from.

Say what you want about BillPa, but the way he and the rest of the organization handled Romo is nothing short of amazing. The fact that he didn't have to get on the field until he was most ready to succeed is so very impressive seeing as how qbs like Tony Banks, QCar, Chutch, Henson, etc. were coming in and out.

Vinny Testaverde may not have been the greatest QB on the block, but apparantly he really impressed Romo with his professionalism and focus on detail. Vinny may not have had enough tiger left in the tank, but he did have the experiance and preparation skills to show and pass on...

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
McCordsville Cowboy;1390377 said:
DIIA QB's rarely get drafted. If you play D2 , you are playing against sub par competition. QB's cant be judged by dominating D1 scout teamers on the D2 level.

He played DI AA ball, its d.1 teams still that you play

lkelly

Reaction score
Before you go anointing Parcells and Peyton as talent spotting gurus, recall that Dallas didn't draft Romo either. Dallas made the same mistake every other team did. They just did a better job recruiting him after the fact.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lkelly;1390452 said:
Before you go annoiting Parcells and Peyton as talent spotting gurus, recall that Dallas didn't draft Romo either. Dallas made the same mistake every other team did. They just did a better job recruiting him after the fact.
They did tell Romo before the draft they were going to take him. It just didn't work out. It wasn't even a matter of out recruiting other teams he came here because of Payton.

lkelly

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1390457 said:
They did tell Romo before the draft they were going to take him. It just didn't work out. It wasn't even a matter of out recruiting other teams he came here because of Payton.

LOL. His name was probably on the same pad of paper as William Green. It just got lost on the way to the podium. I think I saw Randy Moss scribbled on there as well.

Guess we better revise the record books to fix the NFL's shoddy record keeping on draft picks.

As far as Romo picking Dallas as his employer of choice, you've illustrated my point exactly. The friendly face sales pitch worked like a charm. I'm sure Jerry's checkbook helped as well.

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
Deputy493;1390493 said:
Crap shoot, the same reason Tom Brady wasn't taken until the 6th round.

I read through this whole thread thinking Brady could very well have been undrafted. I went to Midwestern State in Texas with Dominic Rhodes and he was an undrafted rookie free agent who became the first to rush for more than 3K yrds. These guys do fall through the cracks, even today.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Da Hammer;1390203 said:
teams these days just dont have the patience to take the time to develop a young QB for more than 3 years especially if they very far away. Parcells obviously did and saw that 4 years from then that he could be a really good player. One of the few things for which i do appreciate Parcells for doing

The big issue here is that after 3 years you've got an RFA on your hands. After 4 you've got a UFA. So teams sometimes don't care to develop a guy because you may have to pay him big $ before he does anything.

But keep in mind -- Romo was almost cut. In his 2nd season he stank in Pre-season - he pulled it out with a winning drive in a PS game -- without that game he was very likely gone. So there is a ton of luck involved here too.

JFlgn

Reaction score
Before you go anointing Parcells and Peyton as talent spotting gurus, recall that Dallas didn't draft Romo either.

Just to be clear, I wasn't "anointing Parcells and Peyton as talent spotting gurus." I didn't mention anything about acquiring Romo. I siad that BillPa and his staff managed Romo very well during their shared time in Dallas.

Good point abersonc. Years later, it looks like it turned out to be a big drive.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lkelly;1390490 said:
LOL. His name was probably on the same pad of paper as William Green. It just got lost on the way to the podium. I think I saw Randy Moss scribbled on there as well.

Guess we better revise the record books to fix the NFL's shoddy record keeping on draft picks.

As far as Romo picking Dallas as his employer of choice, you've illustrated my point exactly. The friendly face sales pitch worked like a charm. I'm sure Jerry's checkbook helped as well.
I guess you missed the article that was posted about the guy who scouted Romo at the Combine and how he'd given a 5th round grade? It was a pretty good read on how Romo joined the 'boys.

As for why Romo chose Dallas, he's been pretty consistent in saying that he was offered more money by other teams, but he chose Dallas for the opportunity it presented.

In recent interviews, Romo was pretty candid in stating that when he came out, he wasn't as good as the other QB prospects that year. So while disappointed, he understood why he wasn't drafted. Basically says that hard work got him to this point and he has to continue to do so in order to get better.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
Hostile;1390292 said:
1...Carson Palmer, Bengals, USC
1...Byron Leftwich, Jaguars, Marshall
1...Kyle Boller, Ravens, California
1...Rex Grossman, Bears, Florida
3...Dave Ragone, Texans, Louisville
3...Chris Simms, Buccaneers, Texas
4...Seneca Wallace, Seahawks, Iowa State
5...Brian St. Pierre, Steelers, Boston College
6...Drew Henson, Texans, Michigan
6...Brooks Bollinger, Jets, Wisconsin
6...Kliff Kingsbury, Patriots, Texas Tech
7...Gibran Hamdan, Commanders, Indiana
7...Ken Dorsey, 49ers, Miami (FL)

and out of this list i wanted Dorsey :D

philo beddoe

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;1390292 said:
1...Carson Palmer, Bengals, USC
1...Byron Leftwich, Jaguars, Marshall
1...Kyle Boller, Ravens, California
1...Rex Grossman, Bears, Florida
3...Dave Ragone, Texans, Louisville
3...Chris Simms, Buccaneers, Texas
4...Seneca Wallace, Seahawks, Iowa State
5...Brian St. Pierre, Steelers, Boston College
6...Drew Henson, Texans, Michigan
6...Brooks Bollinger, Jets, Wisconsin
6...Kliff Kingsbury, Patriots, Texas Tech
7...Gibran Hamdan, Commanders, Indiana
7...Ken Dorsey, 49ers, Miami (FL)
Interesting list, many worse than Romo for sure. Thanks.

philo beddoe

Benched
Reaction score
McCordsville Cowboy;1390377 said:
DIIA QB's rarely get drafted. If you play D2 , you are playing against sub par competition. QB's cant be judged by dominating D1 scout teamers on the D2 level.
The All-Star games can change that sometimes. Everyone knew McNair was a talent.

philo beddoe

Benched
Reaction score
lkelly;1390452 said:
Before you go anointing Parcells and Peyton as talent spotting gurus, recall that Dallas didn't draft Romo either. Dallas made the same mistake every other team did. They just did a better job recruiting him after the fact.
We considered drafting him, but didn't. At least 20 teams wanted him as an UFA. We weren't the only ones aware of him.

philo beddoe

Benched
Reaction score
abersonc;1390584 said:
The big issue here is that after 3 years you've got an RFA on your hands. After 4 you've got a UFA. So teams sometimes don't care to develop a guy because you may have to pay him big $ before he does anything.

But keep in mind -- Romo was almost cut. In his 2nd season he stank in Pre-season - he pulled it out with a winning drive in a PS game -- without that game he was very likely gone. So there is a ton of luck involved here too.
All very good points.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Who wants to spend a draft pick on a guy that, even with the same coach and same offense, took 4 years before the coach even considered putting him on the field?

I'm thrilled with Romo, but can you imagine the comments in here if Romo had been drated, while everyone wondered if he'd ever get on the field?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
philo beddoe;1390866 said:
Interesting list, many worse than Romo for sure. Thanks.
Thread was dead for 8 hours PB. I keep trying to tell you this is why you and your tag team team partner catch heat here.

philo beddoe

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;1390874 said:
Thread was dead for 8 hours PB. I keep trying to tell you this is why you and your tag team team partner catch heat here.
I was just catching up this morning & responding to some posts I found of interest, like your own. I don't see the problem.:confused: