How did we lose to the Rams?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He's win games and nothing else, it takes a great qb to do what new England did, also , the taems are the most talented, but they always have smart, cerebral ,hardworking players that understand their roles, add that to Brady and while they're not the most talented team, their the most complete teams.
Ok? No one is arguing Brady’s greatness. You’d be a fool to think this team that won 10 games last year wouldn’t benefit a few games with Bellicheat the whole season.

Dre11

Reaction score
Ok? No one is arguing Brady’s greatness. You’d be a fool to think this team that won 10 games last year wouldn’t benefit a few games with Bellicheat the whole season.

Does it means they win. Hypothetical. Different team, owner

Doomsay

Reaction score
Q: How did we lose to GB at home, with 2 weeks to plan, after we had already beaten them on the road during the regular season? A: Jason Garrett. He literally was spending time with the media department making up slogans and inspirational t-shirts coming out flat in the first half, while the GB staff was devising a scheme to use our tenancies to stay up by 2 scores throughout the 3rd Q. I'm not making this up.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Our weakness remains our offense and it’s ability to put up points consistently.

I understand all of the horrific stats the Rams put up against us but if you said one of the most prolific offenses would only score 30 with those stats I’d say it’s a game we could be able to still win if we could generate any offense.

This is an era which is driven more by prolific QB’s and offenses unless you have a generational defense.

We have a top 10 defense which might be good enough if we had a top 10 QB and offense.

No doubt that it would be a blessing. if only we had those things. Since we don't at this point in time, our team leaders (we all know who they are) would seemingly be obliged to do all in their power to change these things for the better. I'm inclined to think it might be some time before that wish comes to pass. Jerry is evidently determined to prove that Dak will advance to that point, given time to do so. Let's hope it doesn't take too long. Like many here, I'm getting a bit impatient. Let's hope we'll take a turn for the better sooner than later. As much as it kills me to say so, it's a process. ;)

Last edited:

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Our weakness remains our offense and it’s ability to put up points consistently.

I understand all of the horrific stats the Rams put up against us but if you said one of the most prolific offenses would only score 30 with those stats I’d say it’s a game we could be able to still win if we could generate any offense.

This is an era which is driven more by prolific QB’s and offenses unless you have a generational defense.

We have a top 10 defense which might be good enough if we had a top 10 QB and offense.

No Cowboys team has ever won a playoff game when allowing over 28 points. Meredith, Staubach, Aikman, and Romo each experienced that before Dak. In Dak's two playoff losses, the opponent scored 30 or more each time.

You can talk about this being an era of prolific offense but the Saints scored 1 more point against the Rams than did Dallas (and the Saints were at home) while the Patriots scored 9 fewer. The difference was neither of their defenses got steamrolled by Gurley and Anderson.

Does the Cowboys offense need to get better? Yes, of course. But the defense let them down in the biggest game of the season by allowing the most rushing yards in team history (in a playoff game). Blaming the offense for not putting up more than 30 points in a road playoff game is reaching.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
We lost to the Rams because the Cowboys defensive gameplan sucked and there was no viable Plan B.

Belichek shut it down. But you know who else had a shut down gameplan? Wade Phillips. He shut down the Pats offense, except for that one drive when Gronk got loose for a long one. Other than that, the Pats struggled. Yes, Edelman had a good game, but it's OK...they controlled everyone else. If the Rams could have made a few more plays on offense, they had a real good chance to beat The Best. Wasn't Wade's fault. The Rams defensive scheme was damn good. Belichek's was just a bit better....and the difference was Brady could make a few plays when needed, Goff couldn't.
The FACT is that the Pats are a damn good team. People keep assuming it is all Bill and Brady. It is NOT. Their defense is always good and I hate to tell all of the Cowboy fans, but they are better than our defense. Trey Flowers is better than Lawrence. He actually shows up every game and makes impacting plays unlike Lawrence who was MIA for the last 7 games of the year. The Pats secondary is better than ours too. They actually know how to turn their heads, and swat balls away before they arrive. They actually intercept passes too. Imagine that. The only area where Dallas is better on defense is at LB's. Dallas has GREAT young LB's.

If Dallas would get Thomas at safety, Dallas would improve greater than if they stayed with what they have now and paid Lawrence like many fans are cheering for. Dallas needs ball hawks who are aggressive and can change the game in that secondary. We have NONE. Dallas also needs an upgrade at DT. But they have to fire Marinelli first because he has a MAJOR blindspot for DT's. He favors DE's over DT's. Personally, I favor DT's over DE's. Give me a disruptive Aaron Donald, or JJ Watt at DT and I can move him at DE or at DT and he will dominate wherever he lines up. The same cannot be said about a DE. Plus the pressure in the face of a QB is the worst thing for them. This draft has numerous good DT's. I will bet that Dallas doesn't get any of them. They think they don't need one.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
Belichick has NOT won championships without Brady.

They are the greatest HC/QB combo in NFL history. Neither would have had as much success without the other.
Yes that is true. Partially though. The Pats have always had good defenses when they won their SB's. Give them our defense and they are not winning as many. The Pats held the Ram's to 3 points. 6 if they made the FG. Either way, we ALL KNOW DALLAS would NOT have held the Ram's to 3 or 6 points. EVER. Why? Well, the Pats defense is really good and Bill and his defensive staff are also really good. Meanwhile we employ an older man who thinks you can be great with smaller faster DT's who get bulldozed out of the way on short yardage runs up the middle because he favors edge rushers and the occasional pressure his smaller faster DT can give him. IMHO Marrinelli is holding this defense back. His style of play doesn't work. HIs style of play only works if you luck upon an Aaron Donald type player. Good luck with that once in a generational talent. Meanwhile, you can do well with stouter run stuffing DT's that hold their ground and clog up the middle of a field so that RB's don't have big creases to cut back through as the Ram's had. Plus, every team saw that the blue print to stuff the Ram's game was not to stunt, or flow with their movement but rather just rush straight up the gut. The Bears did this, and the Pats did this and both shut the Ram's down. Our idiot Marrinelli didn't and all game long we kept on stunting and flowing with their movement and Gurley and Fatty had an EASY game of it. Man it is frustrating watching this team discover new ways to lose important games. It is getting old.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
The Rams gutted us because they knew where our DL was going on nearly every single snap. If you know a lineman is going to snap one way or the other, it is easy as hell to just call a run right to his gap and let the defender run himself out of the play.

BB shut the Rams down because he played 5 man fronts head-up on the Rams line, with no slants or motion. The inside run sets everything else up for McVay and his puppet QB, and Belichick worked all game to deny that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No Cowboys team has ever won a playoff game when allowing over 28 points. Meredith, Staubach, Aikman, and Romo each experienced that before Dak. In Dak's two playoff losses, the opponent scored 30 or more each time.

You can talk about this being an era of prolific offense but the Saints scored 1 more point against the Rams than did Dallas (and the Saints were at home) while the Patriots scored 9 fewer. The difference was neither of their defenses got steamrolled by Gurley and Anderson.

Does the Cowboys offense need to get better? Yes, of course. But the defense let them down in the biggest game of the season by allowing the most rushing yards in team history (in a playoff game). Blaming the offense for not putting up more than 30 points in a road playoff game is reaching.
I’m not blaming the offense for the loss.

I’m saying our offense didn’t help the defense by not converting first downs.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yes that is true. Partially though. The Pats have always had good defenses when they won their SB's. Give them our defense and they are not winning as many. The Pats held the Ram's to 3 points. 6 if they made the FG. Either way, we ALL KNOW DALLAS would NOT have held the Ram's to 3 or 6 points. EVER. Why? Well, the Pats defense is really good and Bill and his defensive staff are also really good. Meanwhile we employ an older man who thinks you can be great with smaller faster DT's who get bulldozed out of the way on short yardage runs up the middle because he favors edge rushers and the occasional pressure his smaller faster DT can give him. IMHO Marrinelli is holding this defense back. His style of play doesn't work. HIs style of play only works if you luck upon an Aaron Donald type player. Good luck with that once in a generational talent. Meanwhile, you can do well with stouter run stuffing DT's that hold their ground and clog up the middle of a field so that RB's don't have big creases to cut back through as the Ram's had. Plus, every team saw that the blue print to stuff the Ram's game was not to stunt, or flow with their movement but rather just rush straight up the gut. The Bears did this, and the Pats did this and both shut the Ram's down. Our idiot Marrinelli didn't and all game long we kept on stunting and flowing with their movement and Gurley and Fatty had an EASY game of it. Man it is frustrating watching this team discover new ways to lose important games. It is getting old.
While the Pats did have good defenses they haven’t always had great defenses in reaching the Super Bowl. One of those appearances had 31st ranked defense. They lost that one to NY but still Brady was enough to carry them that far.

kskboys

Reaction score

In 1972, the Cowboys beat the 49ers in the playoffs 30-28.

kskboys

Reaction score
The FACT is that the Pats are a damn good team. People keep assuming it is all Bill and Brady. It is NOT. Their defense is always good and I hate to tell all of the Cowboy fans, but they are better than our defense. Trey Flowers is better than Lawrence. He actually shows up every game and makes impacting plays unlike Lawrence who was MIA for the last 7 games of the year. The Pats secondary is better than ours too. They actually know how to turn their heads, and swat balls away before they arrive. They actually intercept passes too. Imagine that. The only area where Dallas is better on defense is at LB's. Dallas has GREAT young LB's.

If Dallas would get Thomas at safety, Dallas would improve greater than if they stayed with what they have now and paid Lawrence like many fans are cheering for. Dallas needs ball hawks who are aggressive and can change the game in that secondary. We have NONE. Dallas also needs an upgrade at DT. But they have to fire Marinelli first because he has a MAJOR blindspot for DT's. He favors DE's over DT's. Personally, I favor DT's over DE's. Give me a disruptive Aaron Donald, or JJ Watt at DT and I can move him at DE or at DT and he will dominate wherever he lines up. The same cannot be said about a DE. Plus the pressure in the face of a QB is the worst thing for them. This draft has numerous good DT's. I will bet that Dallas doesn't get any of them. They think they don't need one.
And at present, Hightower is a better LB than LVE, and Van Noy is no slouch. Might be pretty close!!

black label

Reaction score

:clap:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The fact that some fans can’t just admit that, yea Belichek is a far better coach than our own, and yes coaching does matter.......well it’s just unbelievable. Wow

Does anybody not admit that? I can't imagine that. Did I miss it earlier in the thread?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
2. Our defense has largely been constructed under the guideance of Rod Marinelli who likes his DTs to be nice and dainty like a ballerina.

Woods is listed at 6-1, 318. That's not dainty.

Marinelli wants penetration for 1 gap. You get it by quickness, power, and leverage. You don't get that from the giant two gappers.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
A good coach would have game planned for them. You see what Belececk did to them. Why doesn't it ever seem that we put our team in a position to win vs just forcing them to bang their heads against the other team?

It was a defensive collapse.

Marinelli never changed anything to stop their ground game. And the Rams never stopped running.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And the offense couldn’t convert a 3rd down.. 1 for 10.

The key to our defensive success this year and disguising it’s weakness has been our ball control time possession pounding running game on offense.

If you take that away from us we are a lessened team.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Does anybody not admit that? I can't imagine that. Did I miss it earlier in the thread?
Right!

Bill is a defensive guru. Best this era. But without Mr Money #12 making championship drives they aren’t going to 9 Super Bowls.

And why Brady and Belichick are greatest QB/HC of all time. Doubtful either have this level of success without the other.

HungryLion

Reaction score

There’s some fans who are unwilling to admit it. And it’s been discussed in other threads.

And no you aren’t one of them.