How did we lose to the Rams?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
A good coach would have game planned for them. You see what Belececk did to them. Why doesn't it ever seem that we put our team in a position to win vs just forcing them to bang their heads against the other team?

I think the most likely explanation is the "they read our tells".

The defense was crushed by the run. 273 on the ground. Almost a hundred more than the Colts, the next worse, who were themselves 30 more than the next highest.

I think the Colts exposed something schematically. Worry less about our DTs and block our LBs. Then the Rams added the tells and just clowned us.

Much like how GB clowned our defense in the first half in 2016 with hurry up, I think Marinelli (and Richard?) got pantsed again in a playoff game by opposing coaches.

I don't thin the players all of a sudden became incompetent. It looked like a scheme failure.

I'm sure Antwaun Woods getting injured hurt us too.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Belicheck also wins 11 games with Brady sitting on the bench the whole season and he wins 3/4 with Brady suspended.

How many games has Dallas won when Romo or Dak was not in the lineup?

Belicheck can take lessor talent and come up with game plans to still win games...…….something our coaches could only dream about.
That 11-5 season with Cassel only season missing the playoffs since Brady took over and reflects what Belichick era would be without Brady.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Let’s don’t get it twisted......it took the great coach of all time to make them look pedestrian. Rams were better than the Cowboys and probably even better than the Pats. But there’s Bellicheat and then everyone else.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I respectively disagree. The Boys had a bad game vs the Rams just as the Rams did, in their house, vs the Egals, AND, their 2nd string qb. RAMS were the Egals in their SB run. Except for the fact Goff choked & Foles didn't. As we all know, RAMS had no business being in the SB.
You’re certainly entitled to your opinion but their 13-3 regular season would certainly support they were the more talented team. And the way they dominated us.

And I’d say despite how the call was blown in championship game , at 15-3 definitely a deserving SB participant. They were one of the best teams.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He won with Matt Cassell. He won with Jacoby Brissett and Jimmy G. Brady needs Bellicheat not the other way around.
Of course Cassel and Jimmy G would both go on to be starters on other teams after their tenure with Patriots.

All we know is what we’ve seen without Brady which is no playoffs in New England and one playoff appearance in Cleveland.

While Bill is defintely a defensive guru he needs the GOAT to lead the 2nd stringers on offense.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
You’re certainly entitled to your opinion but their 13-3 regular season would certainly support they were the more talented team. And the way they dominated us.

And I’d say despite how the call was blown in championship game , at 15-3 definitely a deserving SB participant. They were one of the best teams.

True stuff. Not only were we inferior to the Rams talent-wise but we were a team that was ill-prepared and too unhealthy to play a team of their caliber. The Cowboys also had 11 injuries as compared to 3 for the Rams. We were tired and beat up, while they were ready to roll after a bye week. As good as our defense was during the regular season, we weren't physically able to compete with the Rams, even if healthy, much less in our battered state.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Couldn’t stop their run which was spear headed by a reserved linemen in CJ Anderson

And we couldn’t get our vaunted run game started

Recipe for disaster with our team... truly worst case scenario
The key to our success revolves around our running game, moving the chains and time of possession. Only converting 1 of 10 on 3rd downs on offense exposed our defense longer on the field.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
True stuff. Not only were we inferior to the Rams talent-wise but we were a team that was ill-prepared and not ready to play a team of their caliber. The Cowboys also had 11 injuries as compared to 3 for the Rams. We were tired and beat up, while they were ready to roll after a bye week. As good as our defense was during the regular season, they weren't physically able to compete with the Rams, even if healthy, much less in their battered state.
It came down to we couldn’t control time of possession which is our strength pounding the rock moving the chains keeping their offense on the bench.

Converting only 1 of 10 on third downs isn’t a stat I’ve heard discussed much in the analysis of the game.

It’s truly amazing we even had a shot in 4th qtr the way we were totally dominated but the defense forcing field goals early kept us in a game in which the stats support should have been a blow out.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It came down to we couldn’t control time of possession which is our strength pounding the rock moving the chains keeping their offense on the bench.

Converting only 1 of 10 on third downs isn’t a stat I’ve heard discussed much in the analysis of the game.

It’s truly amazing we even had a shot in 4th qtr the way we were totally dominated but the defense forcing field goals early kept us in a game in which the stats support should have been a blow out.

Anytime our OL isn't able to block well enough to control the clock and the defense isn't able to stop their running game, it's a losing battle. We were in a position that demanded completing 3rd down passes to continue drives, while the Rams defense pressured Dak relentlessly. Our lines were beaten badly on both sides of the ball. That's a recipe for losing every time. I have nothing but respect for the game that LA played against us. They beat us in every way a team can be beaten and deserved to win. We just lost vs. a better team.

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
A good coach would have game planned for them. You see what Belececk did to them. Why doesn't it ever seem that we put our team in a position to win vs just forcing them to bang their heads against the other team?
you are talking about GOAT coach. he game plans for everything. not too many of him around. so who is the next GOAT or goat (lower case haha)

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Sad thing is Cowboys have better personal on defense and they got crushed on that side. What would Bellichik doe with the Cowboys personal on defense? This is why until the Cowboys get a legit coach they aren’t sniffing the super bowl. They keep lame duck Garrett for another wasted year coming up.
wait I thought the genius Kris Richard had transformed this defense. what happened?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Our coaches don't do much planning. They just do the same thing every week. We lose? That's because the players didn't execute. Scape goat someone to placate the fan base. Rinse and repeat.
pats gave up a ton of points to KC and had to win in over time. does it mean Bilicheck didn't game plan for KC? how could that be

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Of course Cassel and Jimmy G would both go on to be starters on other teams after their tenure with Patriots.

All we know is what we’ve seen without Brady which is no playoffs in New England and one playoff appearance in Cleveland.

While Bill is defintely a defensive guru he needs the GOAT to lead the 2nd stringers on offense.
Most teams lose their starting quarterback they don’t sniff the playoffs. Pats won 11 games without theirs. Let’s dont kid ourselves. Bellicheat was winning games with Brady before Brady even became the great qb he is today.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
So much hate for Garrett in this thread and not a word against Richard?

Our offense wasn’t the problem in the Rams game.
Richard is the golden boy right now. if defense is bad, you see Marinelli name thrown around. when defense played good, it was a genius move by JJ to bring in Richard in the off season and he transformed the defense.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Most teams lose their starting quarterback they don’t sniff the playoffs. Pats won 11 games without theirs. Let’s dont kid ourselves. Bellicheat was winning games with Brady before Brady even became the great qb he is today.
But only winning 11games missing the playoffs was quite a step down for the Super Bowl champions.

Remember back in the Cowboys 90’s championship runs we won several games when Aikman was out with Garrett and Buerlin.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Anytime our OL isn't able to block well enough to control the clock and the defense isn't able to stop their running game, it's a losing battle. We were in a position that demanded completing 3rd down passes to continue drives, while the Rams defense pressured Dak relentlessly. Our lines were beaten badly on both sides of the ball. That's a recipe for losing every time. I have nothing but respect for the game that LA played against us. They beat us in every way a team can be beaten and deserved to win. We just lost vs. a better team.
Our weakness remains our offense and it’s ability to put up points consistently.

I understand all of the horrific stats the Rams put up against us but if you said one of the most prolific offenses would only score 30 with those stats I’d say it’s a game we could be able to still win if we could generate any offense.

This is an era which is driven more by prolific QB’s and offenses unless you have a generational defense.

We have a top 10 defense which might be good enough if we had a top 10 QB and offense.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
But only winning 11games missing the playoffs was quite a step down for the Super Bowl champions.

Remember back in the Cowboys 90’s championship runs we won several games when Aikman was out with Garrett and Buerlin.

Because....of coaching right?

And they won 11 games with a guy who didn’t even play college football...that’s a testament to great coaching.