How do the Rams do it with their cap?

Flamma

Reaction score
All I hear from Jerry and his genius son is cap cap cap…..and that’s why we always sign all these third rate scrubs or a hurt guy on a one year contract ….

So how do the Rams manage to sign and trade for all these expensive pro bowlers and future hall of fame players ….

Is the Rams cap bigger than ours????

The Rams certainly are going all out. But lets not pretend they had it easy. Despite everything they have done it took a modicum of luck to win the SB. To even get there. The Giants tried it in 2016 and fell short. There's always risk.

Look at the AFC now with all of these crazy good teams. No matter what you do it's a crapshoot.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Lol. Lucky? They’ve been to 2 superbowls in the last 5 years. That’s not luck. Anything to downplay other teams and make the cowboys look competent I guess. Let’s put this into perspective. The cowboys had 3 picks in the third round last season. And refused to move up in the draft. That refusal netted them wright. Lol.

Of course luck plays a part, especially with injuries and the draft (the further down the draft you go).

This debate is whether we should be doing a Rams now, the answer is no, because we havent ended the cycle of restructuring the overpaid, injury prone contracts.....we're in the process of ridding ourselves of these (Jaylon, Collins, Coop, DLaw) contracts, followed by Zeke and probably Tyron (hopefully doing a DLaw).

We then need to decide what we do, taking into account of what happens with Dak in 2022. This year is a reset.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Of course luck plays a part, especially with injuries and the draft (the further down the draft you go).

This debate is whether we should be doing a Rams now, the answer is no, because we havent ended the cycle of restructuring the overpaid, injury prone contracts.....we're in the process of ridding ourselves of these (Jaylon, Collins, Coop, DLaw) contracts, followed by Zeke and probably Tyron (hopefully doing a DLaw).

We then need to decide what we do, taking into account of what happens with Dak in 2022. This year is a reset.
Yes. And it’s a reset because as Jimmy Johnson said. Jerry refuses to admit he’s wrong. If I am the owner of a team and my coach comes out publicly saying “I’m going to address the penalty situation this off-season” he’s fired 30 seconds after leaving the podium. Instead. Jerry says he’s angry, drinks some more and here we are. I’m tired of the excuses it’s been 27 years. This team shouldn’t be waiting it should be trying to get players in here that make a difference and know how to win. Wagner was there for the taking and we didn’t even call him? Von miller? Honey badger? Shall I continue? Or are you happy with Armstrong and Fowler as your right ends? Lol

foofighters

Reaction score
All I hear from Jerry and his genius son is cap cap cap…..and that’s why we always sign all these third rate scrubs or a hurt guy on a one year contract ….

So how do the Rams manage to sign and trade for all these expensive pro bowlers and future hall of fame players ….

Is the Rams cap bigger than ours????
You already said it in your 5th word.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Kronke has bigger eggs than Booger? How can that be, everything in Texas is bigger.

nummy, I believe the word you would prefer is cojones. Stan Kronke has bigger cojones than Booger and yes, he does. But he hasn't been using his to make illegal babies like Booger has.
Kronkes 12 billion eggs are about twice the size of Jethro’s 8 billion.

And that doesn’t count Kronkes wife Anne Walton one of the heiress to Walmart who’s got about 12 billion of her own.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Yes. And it’s a reset because as Jimmy Johnson said. Jerry refuses to admit he’s wrong. If I am the owner of a team and my coach comes out publicly saying “I’m going to address the penalty situation this off-season” he’s fired 30 seconds after leaving the podium. Instead. Jerry says he’s angry, drinks some more and here we are. I’m tired of the excuses it’s been 27 years. This team shouldn’t be waiting it should be trying to get players in here that make a difference and know how to win. Wagner was there for the taking and we didn’t even call him? Von miller? Honey badger? Shall I continue? Or are you happy with Armstrong and Fowler as your right ends? Lol

You started off so well about Jerry and the underlying issues, but then fell into the we are one elite player away......nah, with our CAP in 2022 and 2023 (and with the question marks over Dak) we are still in limbo as to the next couple of years.

If you like Von, great, (so do i), however, we are devising a defense based on Micah and his two elite qualities: pass rushing and flex to do it from any stance... If we signed Von, we:
a) we would restrict Micah's flex
b) have lesser depth at DE.
c) No Kearse
d) No LVE
C) would have no CAP for pieces in the O-line which at the moment has only 1 Guard and 1 Tackle......did you see what happened to our O-Line in the playoffs?

Shall I continue?

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
They have actual NFL level execs in their front office instead of a bunch of rich guys playing fantasy football.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
The people running the rams are just smarter, bolder, and act quickly.
They didnt fool around with their RB, they traded him, where jones boys kept and overpaid theirs.

They traded their qb who got them to a SB, Dak has only won 1 playoff game and no way would jerry have traded him for stafford. He isnt that bold .

Jones boys are slow, lazy,stupid and like many say they have lifetime jobs lol so no pressure to do better. It is just them having fun playing at being GM .

In todays nfl you have to be bold cut or trade some players, do it quickly , take advantage of opportunitys , take chances. Jones boys dont do any of that.
The colts dumped wentz after 1 year, rams dumped goff, denver grabbed wilson , cleveland over paid but got watson, they are taking chances, maybe it works out maybe not,
but the traditional way of building thru draft is too slow and it wont work within todays nfl.

Jones boys think it will, but it wont.

quickccc

Reaction score
Acquired Pro-Bowler (s) paid off by winning the SB. If not, they would have been in trouble.

By employing a trade-for-established-players strategy, they haven’t actually selected a player in the first round since 2016. And with nearly all of their 2022 picks in the hands of other teams, the Rams won’t be able to restock the roster via the draft in April.

I'd take giving up basically all of our 2022 draft picks, and skipping out virtually of the 2022 NFL Draft, .. if that's what it took to win a Super Bowl.

- NE Pats Brady/Belichek dynasty phenom aside, SBs are just way too damn incredibly hard ..and very rare,.to win.
Cowboys Nation dunno if we'll ever be in a position to even compete for a SB, ..much less a NFC conference game

- Even guys like Rodgers who only has one SB in all of the many years and age he's been in NFL.
Ditto with retired Drew Brees (with only one),
.. and to think you have mere guys like Joe Flacco, Nick Foles,that got SB rings instead of HOF'ers such as Fouts, Marino, Kelly, etc.

- They Vegas- gambled real big time on mortgaging the future for the sake of going for the throat, but what no question did for them
is having the elite coaching staff they have, and they made strategically clever, and aggressively bold moves on known impact players
the Ramsey, the Von Miller, ..big trade for Stafford, giving up on Goff, yet another big trade in Von Miller, ..and adding on
released waived OJ Beckham,..of course with what high picks they did have: Cooper Kupp, Van Jefferson, Taylor Rapp, etc.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
The people running the rams are just smarter, bolder, and act quickly.
They didnt fool around with their RB, they traded him, where jones boys kept and overpaid theirs.

They traded their qb who got them to a SB, Dak has only won 1 playoff game and no way would jerry have traded him for stafford. He isnt that bold .

Jones boys are slow, lazy,stupid and like many say they have lifetime jobs lol so no pressure to do better. It is just them having fun playing at being GM .

In todays nfl you have to be bold cut or trade some players, do it quickly , take advantage of opportunitys , take chances. Jones boys dont do any of that.
The colts dumped wentz after 1 year, rams dumped goff, denver grabbed wilson , cleveland over paid but got watson, they are taking chances, maybe it works out maybe not,
but the traditional way of building thru draft is too slow and it wont work within todays nfl.

Jones boys think it will, but it wont.
Good post....Jones has never got the idea that in the CAP era, sometimes you have to let go or reinvest your assets, not just restructure them until they're worthless' overpaid, underperforming CAP killers

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I'd take giving up basically all of our 2022 draft picks, and skipping out virtually of the 2022 NFL Draft, .. if that's what it took to win a Super Bowl.

- NE Pats Brady/Belichek dynasty phenom aside, SBs are just way too damn incredibly hard ..and very rare,.to win.
Cowboys Nation dunno if we'll ever be in a position to even compete for a SB, ..much less a NFC conference game

- Even guys like Rodgers who only has one SB in all of the many years and age he's been in NFL.
Ditto with retired Drew Brees (with only one),
.. and to think you have mere guys like Joe Flacco, Nick Foles,that got SB rings instead of HOF'ers such as Fouts, Marino, Kelly, etc.

- They Vegas- gambled real big time on mortgaging the future for the sake of going for the throat, but what no question did for them
is having the elite coaching staff they have, and they made strategically clever, and aggressively bold moves on known impact players
the Ramsey, the Von Miller, ..big trade for Stafford, giving up on Goff, yet another big trade in Von Miller, ..and adding on
released waived OJ Beckham,..of course with what high picks they did have: Cooper Kupp, Van Jefferson, Taylor Rapp, etc.
But 2021 showed we aren't a couple of players away from a SB.
Nearly beating The Chiefs in 1st game of the season doesn't win it all.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Team building centers on 2 main principles.

1. Talent acquisition
2. Talent retention

The draft is a complete crap shoot where signing a veteran you know what they can do at this level. The key is not overpaying for average talent and if you make a mistake to move on asap. We also rarely add top talent during the season where the rams aren't afraid to bolster their roster.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
They have real football people running the show Not this is my pet project and I learn on the fly each year.

Ken

Reaction score
Lol. Lucky? They’ve been to 2 superbowls in the last 5 years. That’s not luck. Anything to downplay other teams and make the cowboys look competent I guess. Let’s put this into perspective. The cowboys had 3 picks in the third round last season. And refused to move up in the draft. That refusal netted them wright. Lol.
No doubt they have...but this past year it took a defender letting a ball hit him in the chest to make the big dance. Then they played a team that should have never been there...jmo.

They used an approach closer to the Cowboy's approach with their first SB btw...

quickccc

Reaction score
But 2021 showed we aren't a couple of players away from a SB.
Nearly beating The Chiefs in 1st game of the season doesn't win it all.

If you noticed in that same post you’re replying to , I also mentioned the Rams as an elite coaching staff

2021 also showed that we do not have an elite coaching staff. Heck it’s more talk of questionable play callers, hot seat HC and anticipating heir apparent.

The Rams combined a number of things that presides more than just player personnel.

phildadon86

Reaction score
You started off so well about Jerry and the underlying issues, but then fell into the we are one elite player away......nah, with our CAP in 2022 and 2023 (and with the question marks over Dak) we are still in limbo as to the next couple of years.

If you like Von, great, (so do i), however, we are devising a defense based on Micah and his two elite qualities: pass rushing and flex to do it from any stance... If we signed Von, we:
a) we would restrict Micah's flex
b) have lesser depth at DE.
c) No Kearse
d) No LVE
C) would have no CAP for pieces in the O-line which at the moment has only 1 Guard and 1 Tackle......did you see what happened to our O-Line in the playoffs?

Shall I continue?
Please do. What is the one thing this defense hasnt been able to do consistently for years?

Stop the run. The fact they refuse to bring ANYONE in to do that is mind boggling. What did San Fran run for in the playoffs on the Cowboys again?

phildadon86

Reaction score
No doubt they have...but this past year it took a defender letting a ball hit him in the chest to make the big dance. Then they played a team that should have never been there...jmo.

They used an approach closer to the Cowboy's approach with their first SB btw...
What was that? Hiring a retread coach who was off for a year in a barn pretending to learn from his mistakes?

Nope.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
It's interesting that there's an inverse correlation when American owners own British Premier League Teams.

Maybe Jerry should buy Spurs or Everton?

Well, think about it. The last two Super Bowl winning owners also own Premier League teams. Glazer owns Manchester United and Kroenke owns Arsenal. Chelsea is in need of new ownership. I reckon London is the sort of market Jerry would like. Imo, Chelsea it is. Especially with how much money he can make off them. Also, unlike is, he doesn't have to do much. The name is already there for him to make money off of. Chelsea has Jerry Jones written all over it.

Mobinvans

Reaction score
made* once, after years of going all in. obviously i’d take that, but let’s not act as if they’ve become a dynasty
They have been to the Superbowl twice in last few years….

When was last time we went to a Superbowl or even came close….lol

Mobinvans

Reaction score
The Rams certainly are going all out. But lets not pretend they had it easy. Despite everything they have done it took a modicum of luck to win the SB. To even get there. The Giants tried it in 2016 and fell short. There's always risk.

Look at the AFC now with all of these crazy good teams. No matter what you do it's a crapshoot.
Compared to what?…

I mean they go all out and atleast try!

This cheapo garbage is a joke at best