How do the Rams do it with their cap?

dckid

Reaction score
All I hear from Jerry and his genius son is cap cap cap…..and that’s why we always sign all these third rate scrubs or a hurt guy on a one year contract ….

So how do the Rams manage to sign and trade for all these expensive pro bowlers and future hall of fame players ….

Is the Rams cap bigger than ours????
No they have a real front office. The Cowboy are always years behind.
Cowboys didnt realize the benefits of the previous CBA that came in 2011. Playing marbles when others playing 3D chess.

erod

Reaction score
Because there is no such thing as a salary cap. You can move money around however you want to do whatever you want. It's a false barrier owners created to help control themselves and provide a built-in excuse for not spending money.

Owners care about money far more than winning. After they pay their players for a season, each owner gets $135 million each from the TV deal. That's before they sell a single ticket, parking spot, beer, jersey, hot dog, or sell the radio rights. Before they build a concert schedule in the stadium or sell sponsorships or the stadium naming rights. Before the college season kickoff game or Pacqioau vs Mayweather.

The Rams are trying to be relevant in California, which doesn't care about football. Most owners just take their money and go home.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
All I hear from Jerry and his genius son is cap cap cap…..and that’s why we always sign all these third rate scrubs or a hurt guy on a one year contract ….

So how do the Rams manage to sign and trade for all these expensive pro bowlers and future hall of fame players ….

The guy managing their cap has his job on the line. It's not a rich man's hobby in LA.

Ken

Reaction score
What was that? Hiring a retread coach who was off for a year in a barn pretending to learn from his mistakes?

Nope.
I mean, I agree.

THAT, to me, is the biggest difference between them. McVeigh knows how to coach in big games and he also knows how important the run game is.

Robster8989

Reaction score
Most GMs are in fear of losing their jobs and don't get a decade plus to build their legacy like they used to.

Only a front office with lifetime guaranteed jobs could accomplish what we accomplish. Oh wait...

Great post man, so very true, and most definitely the root of this franchise's woes.
The other thing is that while the NFL cap is a hard cap, it is not totally static.
You can restructure contracts (which we do at times), and create space.
The escpae valve is that the cap grows over time.
That's my issue with the team this year. We have been in Covid impacted cap the last 2 years, which sort of froze things, but that is now past, and with the new TV deals the league is crushing it, and the cap is set to expand very rapidly.
They are predicting an increase of up to 40 mil for next year, and by 2026 the cap is projected at over 300 mil.
That's why I don't like losing a good player in their prime (like Coop or Collins), for nothing.
If you have issues with them, build their value and get an asset (solid draft picks) for them, but the Cowboys aired their dirty laundry, driving their value down to justify the move to the fan base, then trade or release and get nothing.
Just horrible asset management.
Everyone complained about Coops salary. He was the 4th highest paid WR last year (and his production was no wheere near that), so I get the frustration. But look at the WR deals signed this year, already like 3 have surpassed Coop, and other "good" WRs like Williams and Kirk are right there too. Wait until next year, when more deals are up and the cap explodes, good WRs will get 20-24 and great ones will approach 30, and Coops number won't look so bad.
I'm also not convinced our OC wonder boy is not part of the problem, as Coop was the 86th most tartgeted receiver in the league last year. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if he explodes this season with Watson and getting his number called more.
One of the most powerful things I've seen in a long time was the Kurt Warner video about our offensive game plan in the Niners playoff loss. It was like *** are we doing? No adjustments, just keep running the same crap and expecting different results.
There was one play he pointed out towards the end of the game. The Niners were in 4 deep coverage, and we ran a receiver deep into each zone. Warner was like ***? You won't get past DBs deep when they are 15 yards off the LOS. Overload a zone and throw underneath, get the ball in your playmakers hands. But we kept running the same crap that wasn't working.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The people running the rams are just smarter, bolder, and act quickly.
They didnt fool around with their RB, they traded him, where jones boys kept and overpaid theirs.

They traded their qb who got them to a SB, Dak has only won 1 playoff game and no way would jerry have traded him for stafford. He isnt that bold .

Jones boys are slow, lazy,stupid and like many say they have lifetime jobs lol so no pressure to do better. It is just them having fun playing at being GM .

In todays nfl you have to be bold cut or trade some players, do it quickly , take advantage of opportunitys , take chances. Jones boys dont do any of that.
The colts dumped wentz after 1 year, rams dumped goff, denver grabbed wilson , cleveland over paid but got watson, they are taking chances, maybe it works out maybe not,
but the traditional way of building thru draft is too slow and it wont work within todays nfl.

Jones boys think it will, but it wont.
All comes down to how the teams handle mistakes because they all make them.

The Rams made one with Gurley and Goff but dealt with them quickly to get past them.

‘The Cowboys either deny any mistakes or they wait for them to resolve themselves.

Proof

Reaction score
They have been to the Superbowl twice in last few years….

When was last time we went to a Superbowl or even came close….lol

compared to us, they're the red aurbach celtics lol

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Please do. What is the one thing this defense hasnt been able to do consistently for years?

Stop the run. The fact they refuse to bring ANYONE in to do that is mind boggling. What did San Fran run for in the playoffs on the Cowboys again?
We were pretty OK last year, then Urban got injured. Still wasn't dreadful.
Granted the FO doesn't appear to give it that much of a priority.
That doesn't support your argument about spending ....run stuffing DT's don't get paid elite money.

kumizi

Reaction score
Imagine if you were conducting a job interview for an important management position for a Fortune 500 company. In walk Les Snead and Stephen Jones…

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
I dont think I've ever been more down on this team than right now. This board is my coping mechanism.

100 percent the same

I can never stop being a fan, even if I try.

But holy crap this team doesn’t feel worth my time anymore.

This board is a different story though. Even though it’s Cowboys focused, it is kind of like a separate thing, and I still enjoy posting and reading.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Well, think about it. The last two Super Bowl winning owners also own Premier League teams. Glazer owns Manchester United and Kroenke owns Arsenal. Chelsea is in need of new ownership. I reckon London is the sort of market Jerry would like. Imo, Chelsea it is. Especially with how much money he can make off them. Also, unlike is, he doesn't have to do much. The name is already there for him to make money off of. Chelsea has Jerry Jones written all over it.
Yep, but Man United haven't won anything for years (and look unlikely to do so for years) and the strange situation at Arsenal is that they are using the Cowboys modelrather than the 'all-in' Rams approach.

DFWJC

Reaction score

Same cap, a different allocation of resources.

1) their top RB does not have an 18 mil cap hit this year
2) their rookie pool is probably 7-8 million less than ours due to having no high draft picks
3) last year, their QB made about half of what ours did. Going forward, that changes
4) we have two huge oline contracts (not saying they arent great players) and they have either 1 or none

and more

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
I don’t care what anyone says, we could run this team better by decision making through polls.

Creeper

Reaction score
I don't think the CAP has much to do with the Rams winning the Super Bowl. The Cowboys overpaid a few players that hurt them with the CAP. The Rams have paid Donald, Ramsey and a few others and have gotten what they paid for.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yep, but Man United haven't won anything for years (and look unlikely to do so for years) and the strange situation at Arsenal is that they are using the Cowboys modelrather than the 'all-in' Rams approach.

That is quite ironic. Still, we shall see what Jerry does, but I think Chelsea is the right spot for Jerry. *Laughs in Bournemouth Cherries*

Sydla

Reaction score
Simple philosophy differences. Some teams look at "windows" where they can win and load up to do it. They'll take some pain if they can make a few SB runs. Jerry and Stephen seem to take the approach where they don't go in on a 2-3-4 year run. They operate under the belief just try to be "good" year to year and not be "great" for a short window and eventually luck will kick in and one of those "good" Cowboys teams will make a run.

27 years and they are still waiting............. LOL

phildadon86

Reaction score
I mean, I agree.

THAT, to me, is the biggest difference between them. McVeigh knows how to coach in big games and he also knows how important the run game is.
He also knows how to manage a clock, and I would hope knows not to run a draw on 4th and forever with no timeouts left lol

phildadon86

Reaction score
We were pretty OK last year, then Urban got injured. Still wasn't dreadful.
Granted the FO doesn't appear to give it that much of a priority.
That doesn't support your argument about spending ....run stuffing DT's don't get paid elite money.
The good ones do. Wagner would also help against the run. Tremendously.

You didnt tell me. What did the Niners rush for in the playoff game again?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
The good ones do. Wagner would also help against the run. Tremendously.

You didnt tell me. What did the Niners rush for in the playoff game again?

169 yards and only 23 pts conceded (and no Urban), the defense against the run wasnt the reason we lost, wasnt even in the top 3 reasons.

Im not saying we couldnt use Wagner, but looking at the CAP for the next two years and looking at the needs on the O-Line and WR (need a veteran), I doubt if we have the money for an expensive LB