How do we do this?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I never said dirty but intentional - holding pads and tripping the leg , a smaller DB can most likely bring down a bigger Runner like that only. But that buckling leg most of the time results in ankle injury like High ankle Sprain or like this one.
Might as well have different leagues with weight classes if you're gonna restrict tackling so much that smaller guys have no chance.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
Football is a very tough and violent sport, and unfortunately injury plays a part in it every season. Coaches have one job, you coach to the players strength putting him in the best position for success. You cannot do this with fear in the equation.

The only thing that can be done to keep Dak safer is for him to make safer decisions when he's on the run. Get what you can and go down, but that being said his injury was not one that came from him fighting for extra yards.

Don't be afraid, play hard play smart and let the chips fall where they may. Go Cowboys:flagwave:
Can't play timid or bad things happen

TwentyOne

Reaction score
So now with the draft an FA signings wrapping up.

I want some info..

Based on Dak recovering.. How is Moore going to adjust the playcalling to account for needing to protecting him better.?

This has to be foremost about the play going forward. We cannot lose Dak again. Protecting him means everything.

But how?

Well

Our QB is the top QB of the NFL. At least he gets paid like it and so we should expect that he is able to play like it.

That means he is

- able to work the pocket like A-Rod
- able to pinpoint passes and make medicore WRs look like All-Pros like Favre
- able to scramble like Joe Montana (or for the younger ones Patrick Mahomes)

So no. There is no need to protect him.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I hear you Red, but we didn't lose Dak due to lack of protection.
He got hurt running the ball.
Ooops, sorry. Sounds like I just repeated what everyone else is saying.
Oh...everybody knows injuries happen..its the sport. I just wanted to hear suggestions about how to lessen the risks. That's all. I read a few good sugestions.
Thanx all.

SSoup

Reaction score
You can't plan to eliminate injuries.

Put it this way: remember the 1998 season? We had elite pass protection that season. We allowed only 19 sacks in 16 games that year, fewest in the league. And most of them were taken by the crummy backup (despite playing half as many games as the starter) whose awareness didn't allow him to get rid of the ball as smartly as the starter. Garrett took 10 sacks in 5 games, while Troy was only sacked 9 times in 11 games that year. You couldn't ask for better protection as an NFL QB than Troy got that year. But he got hurt anyway.

And it wasn't the concussion stuff or the back stuff that ended his career. It was his dumb clavicle bone. Just a freak bone break that happens sometimes in contact sports, whether you have history with clavicle injuries or not.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Oh...everybody knows injuries happen..its the sport. I just wanted to hear suggestions about how to lessen the risks. That's all. I read a few good sugestions.
Thanx all.
I am curious to hear How Dak is going to totally remake his game by not breaking out of the Pocket.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
So now with the draft an FA signings wrapping up.

I want some info..

Based on Dak recovering.. How is Moore going to adjust the playcalling to account for needing to protecting him better.?

This has to be foremost about the play going forward. We cannot lose Dak again. Protecting him means everything.

But how?
They don’t go into the season with the sole purpose of protecting the QB. They ALWAYS try to protect the QB.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I am curious to hear How Dak is going to totally remake his game by not breaking out of the Pocket.
Well..our TE has to show up..Moore has to call quick hitting plays..not long timing routes where Dak has to hold the ball and make the OL protect too long..asking Dak to throw it away more instead of try to make something out of nothing usually drawing a holding call as a result and another drive killed....checkdown and get the ball to others..its not undoable. But it will have to be a coordinated change to all concerned.

plasticman

Reaction score
Dak appeared to be injured on a play that called for him to run. He jukes right, then makes a beeline for the line of scrimmage. He showed no intention to throw.

With that in mind, I can definitely think of one way in which the play calling should change to protect Dak. Considering the team's investment in the running game, there should be absolutely no need to call a quarterback running play.

It's great that Dak has the ability to run when he can't find an open receiver but calling for a RB type play like that was just flirting with disaster and that's exactly what they got.

It wasn't the line's failure to protect. It was the coach's.