How do we feel about La'el Collins?

USMarineVet

Reaction score
With the Green pick, who the Cowboys surprisingly had rated #1 on their board for OL, I would rather concentrate our remaining 4 on other weaker positions .

Hailmary

Reaction score
I still take a flyer on him in the 7th. If he decides to not to re-enter in 2016 and if he is cleared of any wrong doing, we can flip him for a 1st round pick in 2016. Lots of "ifs", but the downside is minimal and the upside can potentially be huge.

Hardline

Reaction score
I would with 100 certainty take him with the 4th round pick if he is on the board.
The thought of having three first round talents come out of this draft class is mind blowing.
Its a risk-reward thing for me and one I would willing take a chance on.
This could be stellar.

randy932

Reaction score
Yea i don't understand it. It's in his favor to atleast go undrafted and allow for a bidding war to happen for him this year. He will hurt his stock waiting a year to enter the draft.

I believe according to the Collective Bargaining Agreement, the most an UDFA can get as a signing bonus is $10,000. Not much of a bidding war, and he has very little leverage.

kevinhickey

Reaction score
I still take a flyer on him in the 7th. If he decides to not to re-enter in 2016 and if he is cleared of any wrong doing, we can flip him for a 1st round pick in 2016. Lots of "ifs", but the downside is minimal and the upside can potentially be huge.

If he is there in the 5th, I would select him. Somebody will select him in the 7th.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
And if he was completely innocent, he wouldn't be our topic of discussion. He would have been drafted already. I don't get it. Something is going on here.

wrong.

Husband/boyfriend is always a lock for the cops to talk to.Doesn't mean anything at this point

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
isn't he the one that tried to get the NFL to remove him from the draft?

also thought I heard him say that if a team does not draft him in first round, he will not sign with any team no and re-enter draft next year that way.

I say don't touch him. would be crazy to

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
I thought his agent said he will not play this year and re-enter the draft in 2016 if not selected by Day 2?

Deep_South

Reaction score
What little I can find out is he supposedly hadn't seen Brittney Mills since September and she was killed by someone who she refused to let borrow her car. The cops have said he is a person of interest, not a suspect, however that is essentially meaningless. I know at least in some parts of the country once a person is named a suspect, law enforcement has to turn over all of the evidence it has against him to his lawyer, and they don't want to do that too soon for obvious reasons.

Even if he had an iron clad alibi, investigators would still want to interview him and anyone else who was close to her to try to get an idea of who might have had a motive to do harm to her. I find it puzzling that he hasn't talked to them yet, or at least it appears that way. Ian Rapoport said the police just wanted to talk to him about parental responsibility, but I think that is nonsense, although that is no doubt what they told him. In any case, I think the Cowboys should give this guy a wide berth if in fact he hasn't even talked to the police about the murder of his ex-girlfriend and maybe even his own child.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I believe according to the Collective Bargaining Agreement, the most an UDFA can get as a signing bonus is $10,000. Not much of a bidding war, and he has very little leverage.

The team can guarantee any part of their base salary and there is not cap on the base salary. They guaranteed Leary 240K when he signed as a udfa.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What little I can find out is he supposedly hadn't seen Brittney Mills since September and she was killed by someone who she refused to let borrow her car. The cops have said he is a person of interest, not a suspect, however that is essentially meaningless. I know at least in some parts of the country once a person is named a suspect, law enforcement has to turn over all of the evidence it has against him to his lawyer, and they don't want to do that too soon for obvious reasons.

Even if he had an iron clad alibi, investigators would still want to interview him and anyone else who was close to her to try to get an idea of who might have had a motive to do harm to her. I find it puzzling that he hasn't talked to them yet, or at least it appears that way. Ian Rapoport said the police just wanted to talk to him about parental responsibility, but I think that is nonsense, although that is no doubt what they told him. In any case, I think the Cowboys should give this guy a wide berth if in fact he hasn't even talked to the police about the murder of his ex-girlfriend and maybe even his own child.

I would think that the Cowboys and other teams would send an investigator to check out this situation. The problem is that law enforcement is probably not going to give out any info that they have obtained.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
If you draft him at this point, you would have to negotiate with him and his agent ahead of time as he may never report and sign. My guess is he'll ask for first round money even after being drafted in the third day.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I would wait to sign him as a UDFA and structure the contract to pay him like a late first if he gets through Year 1.

Getting Green changed the need to go too strong after Collins

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you draft him at this point, you would have to negotiate with him and his agent ahead of time as he may never report and sign. My guess is he'll ask for first round money even after being drafted in the third day.

He has no leverage.

Avery

Reaction score
He has no leverage.

Problem is that we wouldn't either. We'd own his draft rights for the year, but if he really wants to work out his issues and not take lesser money, we'd basically whiff an entire pick.

My guess is he goes undrafted and reenters for 2016.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Problem is that we wouldn't either. We'd own his draft rights for the year, but if he really wants to work out his issues and not take lesser money, we'd basically whiff an entire pick.

My guess is he goes undrafted and reenters for 2016.

If he goes un-drafted and is then cleared, he will be able to negotiate with all teams. I'm not certain is player can reenter the draft the following year in the NFL. I know it happens in baseball and might have happened a long time ago in the NFL, but under the current CBA I don't know if it's even possible.

I'm certain that a team would be fine paying him the same that he would have received as a 1st round pick as a udfa. They would have had to pay him that much anyway and now can do it with using a draft pick. It's a bargain for the team. He might even get more than he would have if there is a bidding war.

If he is available in the 7th, I would draft him. If he is cleared, then pay him 2nd round money. It's not really that much anymore.

Avery

Reaction score
If he goes un-drafted and is then cleared, he will be able to negotiate with all teams. I'm not certain is player can reenter the draft the following year in the NFL. I know it happens in baseball and might have happened a long time ago in the NFL, but under the current CBA I don't know if it's even possible.

I'm certain that a team would be fine paying him the same that he would have received as a 1st round pick as a udfa. They would have had to pay him that much anyway and now can do it with using a draft pick. It's a bargain for the team. He might even get more than he would have if there is a bidding war.

If he is available in the 7th, I would draft him. If he is cleared, then pay him 2nd round money. It's not really that much anymore.

Current CBA states if you're not signed by Week 10, you're eligible for next year's draft and we'd forfeit his rights.

I guess it comes down to how much is posturing by the agent vs. Collins' desire to play. If he's truly money-driven, he'll sit out. If he wants to play the game at all costs, he'll sign for less money.