How do we fix the DT position?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Last year the team was god awful against the run. Poe was a major fa bust, both Hill/Gallimore were forced to see starting reps before they were ready as McCoy couldn't even make it out of camp. Crawford appeared done, now he is retired. All this said, the worst probably is that the new staff forced a new scheme in which they didn't have the personnel for.

I think going back to a similar scheme as Marinelli's, will do wonders for many of the players. However, the talent within the interior has to get better. Signing Urban is a start as he is considered a very good two down player.

How do we fix the DL position?

-#1 priority for me is to fix the run defense, without that, you can forget about rushing the passer. Team has reportedly looked at Marvin Wilson, Tommy Togiai and Milton Williams. Not your traditional NT's, but players who are strong against the run. I would even do the Mike Zimmer here and start Urban and one of these three in the base defense to stop the run.

-Need interior pass rushers. Run players will come off in the nickel. We need interior rushers to push the pocket and force the action to the Edges. Yes, Barmore would be an ideal fit, but I'm more looking at Edge players who are base run defensive ends, that can kick inside against the pass: Basham, Turner, Weaver, Sample, Milton Williams*

JBS

Reaction score
This is where it gets challenging

Cb
S
Lb
Dt
DE

They're all positions of need. Unfortunately, they're not going to fill them all in one draft class. If I had to bet, I'd bet on dt being one of the positions that gets left behind. Much to my chagrin.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
A true NT. We haven’t a good one in a decade
Based on who they have shown interest in, they aren't looking at traditional 3-4 NT types. More like quicker, undersized guys who can play either spot.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
This is where it gets challenging

Cb
S
Lb
Dt
DE

They're all positions of need. Unfortunately, they're not going to fill them all in one draft class. If I had to bet, I'd bet on dt being one of the positions that gets left behind. Much to my chagrin.
Let's hope not, but we have seen recent history that they don't like taking 1DT's or Safeties high.

JBS

Reaction score
The good news about what most of us are looking for, is that a lot of us just want a big fat blob that can't be moved at dt. Those guys are not expensive. You can find those very late in the draft. Just get me one of those and I'll be happy. I'm not asking for much.

visionary

Reaction score
You fix the DT position and the run defense and the interior pass rush by actually prioritizing it and seriously addressing it. Just look at the ‘needs’ posted by one poster above. Somehow DT is number 4 on the list with CB being number 1. People just don’t get it .

:facepalm:

get a highly rated DT in rd 1-2 and then a 1T in rd 3-4 but unfortunately we will continue with our CB fascination

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
I have a strong feeling that they will, once again ehhhh ignore safety and defensive tackle. I do however think they will draft a corner, a linebacker and most likely an edge rusher. Just my opinion at this point especially with the low rent 1 year free agents they got.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I'm really focused on McNeil, Shelvin, Togai, Wilson, B. Brown, & Tuipulotu. One of those 6 should be available in the 3-4 round range.
From the draft analysis I have seen, it would appear that you could get both a space eater and an interior who offers some pass rush in rounds 3-5. I would be perfectly fine if they took one of each. I see the value in each type player so I'm not fixated on finding a player who is both.

DanA

Reaction score
Last year the team was god awful against the run. Poe was a major fa bust, both Hill/Gallimore were forced to see starting reps before they were ready as McCoy couldn't even make it out of camp. Crawford appeared done, now he is retired. All this said, the worst probably is that the new staff forced a new scheme in which they didn't have the personnel for.

I think going back to a similar scheme as Marinelli's, will do wonders for many of the players. However, the talent within the interior has to get better. Signing Urban is a start as he is considered a very good two down player.

-#1 priority for me is to fix the run defense, without that, you can forget about rushing the passer. Team has reportedly looked at Marvin Wilson, Tommy Togiai and Milton Williams. Not your traditional NT's, but players who are strong against the run. I would even do the Mike Zimmer here and start Urban and one of these three in the base defense to stop the run.

-Need interior pass rushers. Run players will come off in the nickel. We need interior rushers to push the pocket and force the action to the Edges. Yes, Barmore would be an ideal fit, but I'm more looking at Edge players who are base run defensive ends, that can kick inside against the pass: Basham, Turner, Weaver, Sample, Milton Williams*

So much of the problem IMO was scheme. We need to:
1. Play exclusively a one gap scheme
2. Scheme linemen to shoot the gap
3. Bring back stunts, just disguise them a bit more than Marinelli did
4. Avoid playing a 270 lbs guy at 3T (Crawford)
4. Play four guys with their hand in the dirt that get up the field much more often
5. Give Jaylon/LVE assignments that allows them to shoot gaps rather than play on their heels
6. Avoid putting Jaylon in coverage, instead having him Blitz and moving forward
7. Get a proper 1T that plays with power

I'm so sick of under investment at 1T. We've used JAG's like Nick Hayden, Early round busts, converted 3-4 DE's like Thornton, and washed up players that stopped caring like Poe. I really want use to take a guy that is both hungry and talented to play 1T. Just one top 100 pick isn't too much to ask.

morasp

Reaction score
Not in the draft unless they want to use a pick in the first two rounds.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
So much of the problem IMO was scheme. We need to:
1. Play exclusively a one gap scheme
2. Scheme linemen to shoot the gap
3. Bring back stunts, just disguise them a bit more than Marinelli did
4. Avoid playing a 270 lbs guy at 3T (Crawford)
4. Play four guys with their hand in the dirt that get up the field much more often
5. Give Jaylon/LVE assignments that allows them to shoot gaps rather than play on their heels
6. Avoid putting Jaylon in coverage, instead having him Blitz and moving forward
7. Get a proper 1T that plays with power

I'm so sick of under investment at 1T. We've used JAG's like Nick Hayden, Early round busts, converted 3-4 DE's like Thornton, and washed up players that stopped caring like Poe. I really want use to take a guy that is both hungry and talented to play 1T. Just one top 100 pick isn't too much to ask.

Although similar, Quinn has a few 3-4 concepts within the DL. Leo position is more of a DE stand-up rusher, which fits Gregory well. Half the line will be one gap, the other side will be two gapping.

cowboyec

Reaction score
levi o,washington
daviyon nixon,iowa
marvin wilson,fsu
tommy togiai,ohio st
milton williams,la tech
bobby brown,texas am

just gimmie one of'm...2 prefered.
:thumbup:

Creeper

Reaction score

The question is how do we fix the defense in general because my answer is they have to play as a team - "Do your job". The problem with Dallas last year was not just weak DTs who could not hold their ground or get penetration. It was LBs late to fill, or out of position. It was Xavier Woods missing tackles in the hole. It was Demarcus Lawrence falling for the fake and crashing inside while the ball was going outside. It was Jaylon Smith too slow to get tot he edge before the RB.

Yes, a stud DT to plug the middle of the line would be great, but only if everyone else does what they are supposed to do. Since the Cowboys chose to buy the 12 pack of underwear at K-Mart again this year, we have to hope Gallimore continues to improve. I don't know if Hill will ever be that kind of player we want or need at DT.

btw, it is not just the running game. They need to get pressure up the middle to move opposing QBs out of the pocket. I think Gregory and Lawrence can generate outside pressure but who will collapse the pocket?

Gaede

Reaction score
I'm really focused on McNeil, Shelvin, Togai, Wilson, B. Brown, & Tuipulotu. One of those 6 should be available in the 3-4 round range.

Agreed. I'd like to see us double up too.getting two of these guys would be great

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The question is how do we fix the defense in general because my answer is they have to play as a team - "Do your job". The problem with Dallas last year was not just weak DTs who could not hold their ground or get penetration. It was LBs late to fill, or out of position. It was Xavier Woods missing tackles in the hole. It was Demarcus Lawrence falling for the fake and crashing inside while the ball was going outside. It was Jaylon Smith too slow to get tot he edge before the RB.

Yes, a stud DT to plug the middle of the line would be great, but only if everyone else does what they are supposed to do. Since the Cowboys chose to buy the 12 pack of underwear at K-Mart again this year, we have to hope Gallimore continues to improve. I don't know if Hill will ever be that kind of player we want or need at DT.

btw, it is not just the running game. They need to get pressure up the middle to move opposing QBs out of the pocket. I think Gregory and Lawrence can generate outside pressure but who will collapse the pocket?

-Urban is considered a high-end run defender, he most likely will start at the 1. Will he offer enough pass rush to stay on the field?
-Team has been linked to DT's who are strong run defenders, but have a little upside as rushers, not your typicial pure NT types.
-Really believe they can find a day 1 base DE, who can offer good rush abilities inside in the nickel.
-Team is hopeful that Gallimore/Hill make the next step as both are former top 100 picks.

J-man

Reaction score
I agree 100%, fixing the run defense has to be the #1 priority. DT, LB and DE are the keys to improving the defense, quickly. The secondary will improve through osmosis with a better front 7.
With who they signed in FA it kind of suggests that they finally realize what they need. And just because they signed guys already doesn't mean they no longer need them. It signals that they realize they are deficient in those areas, so lets hope they continue to address those key spots.

To me the order of the positions that will have the greatest impact on this defense goes:
1T, DE, LB, FS, CB, 3T
Now we all have hope that our new DC and return to a normal scheme will help the guys we have improve, we obviously still need to get better across the board at all of these positions.

But the way this draft is set up and the numbers of current roster spots indicates a huge need to get some DB's and early. Obviously no 1T is getting pick at 10 so a CB is most likely but IMHO, a DE (Phillips) is a remote possibility. FS or LB is probably next with DT being a remote possibility here but most likely down the list a another spot or two.
But as long as it's a mixture of quality players at those positions, I don't much care as to when they're picked.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
levi o,washington
daviyon nixon,iowa
marvin wilson,fsu
tommy togiai,ohio st
milton williams,la tech
bobby brown,texas am

just gimmie one of'm...2 prefered.
:thumbup:
Give me 1 and pair it up with a positional flex player who can kick inside in the nickel.