How do you bring DT: Hill's career back on track

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
It's hard to teach a twinkle-toed dancing bear new tricks.
giphy-5.gif

Proof

Reaction score
Hill's career is fine. People in here thought he was a 1st rounder that would walk onto the field and get 5 sacks a game or something. He was a very late 2nd rounder! The Cowboys knew he was raw and need some work. This this next summer is when we can start picking apart his game some.

BTW, how is Kinlaw's knee? Until I know he doesn't have a medical condition he is off my draft board.

There’s a wide gulf between walk on starter and game day inactive. His career is not “fine” by any stretch. Not writing him off at all, but he’s a absolutely been a bust thus far

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
He's a sunk cost. Kid doesn't have it in him.

You learn from it and either fire or silence anyone in the draft room or personnel department who advocated for him.

Awful, awful draft decision.

I watched a few games where he looked like a dominator for UCF.... I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet. Big off season for him. He needs to hit the weight room...hard this summer. I envision him being that big immovable object on the nose....like a BJ Raji was for the Packers. I think he can be that guy. Problem he had that first year...Marinelli asking him to be position flexible...instead of putting him in the position he was drafted for. Obviously he did something on tape that caught your attention. Let him do that....where he excelled.

kskboys

Reaction score
How do you bring DT: Hill's career back on track? You bring it back on track by drafting Javon Kinlaw 6'-6" 320lbs beast in the middle. Just like the defensive end position, you need a tandem at the DT position that compliment each other and forces OL to switch protections up constantly. This guy is Dallas's Fletcher Cox and it's a perfect fit.

What's the motto in Texas, everything is bigger?

Change his name to Khalen Saunders?

FanSince71

Reaction score
It’s not ideal, because 2nd round picks are pretty heavy draft capital, but I think at worst he will be a rotational player. Kinda like Jimmie Jones from back in the day... a solid football player who gave the starters some valuable rest and made a play or two while he was at it. The fact that he didn’t flash any potential in his rookie season makes me believe he might never be a starter, but it is FAR too early to give up on this kid.

Look, Connor Williams was a 2nd rounder and he could lose his starting job to Connor McGovern. You want your high round draft picks to be starters, but he’s a well-above average backup, IMHO. Those guys have value on a team.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
How do you bring DT: Hill's career back on track? You bring it back on track by drafting Javon Kinlaw 6'-6" 320lbs beast in the middle. Just like the defensive end position, you need a tandem at the DT position that compliment each other and forces OL to switch protections up constantly. This guy is Dallas's Fletcher Cox and it's a perfect fit.

What's the motto in Texas, everything is bigger?

I'm interested to see if DL coach Jim Tomsula and DC Mike Nolan can get through to Hill and get him playing to the level that scouts saw in him. I'm not predicting what Hill will do but I know with a new staff in place he comes in with a clean slate and a chance to prove himself to these coaches.

Proof

Reaction score
I'm interested to see if DL coach Jim Tomsula and DC Mike Nolan can get through to Hill and get him playing to the level that scouts saw in him. I'm not predicting what Hill will do but I know with a new staff in place he comes in with a clean slate and a chance to prove himself to these coaches.

right he we saw what happened last time he had a coaching change :-/

Doomsday101

Reaction score
right he we saw what happened last time he had a coaching change :-/

I predict nothing other than with a new staff in place he has a chance for a clean start. I'm sure Tomsula going to challenge these guys to get the most out of them. Really up to guys like Hill to prove himself, if he doesn't he may not make it out of camp.

Verdict

Reaction score
I never really liked the pick. I didn’t see what Rod kept saying Hill had. I would love to be proven wrong by the kid.

It’s hard to tell what we have because our defensive coaching was so bad last year. Even really good players can get frustrated with bad coaching.

Its a wonder that Jarwin wasn’t like a mad dog watching Witten play in front of him all year long.

Verdict

Reaction score
I don’t have a problem with drafting a “project” at any position if a project has potential. But you should reach for a project at the premium picks in the draft (first three rounds) unless that player is a QB.