How do you bring DT: Hill's career back on track

Verdict

Reaction score
Hill has a tremendous first step. Among the best in the NFL for DT's. That's what they saw.

Now, that doesn't mean he was 2nd round talent. I would've been happy if we'd have taken him in the 4th or later, just not in the 2nd.

I keep hearing that. It may be true. But not making the game day 45 for a second round pick is concerning.

But I agree, it would have been better if he had been selected later. Enough of these reaches for “need”.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
When was his career on track? When he wasn't even a starter in college? When your old senile DC who should have been long retired is making your draft picks this is what you get, pure garbage.

kskboys

Reaction score
I keep hearing that. It may be true. But not making the game day 45 for a second round pick is concerning.

But I agree, it would have been better if he had been selected later. Enough of these reaches for “need”.
As much as I'll tell you that needs must be addressed in the draft, reaching for need is not good drafting.

Hill was a project and should have been a mid round pick. He'd be called a "toolsy" pick by some, but it was really just one tool, his awesome first step. IMO, we simply did not evaluate as we should have, and you NEVER take a project pick that early.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
put him in the hands of Jim Tomsula.
There is the correct answer. Hill was just a puppy in 2019. Tomsula will either find the inner junkyard dog in Hill or if Hill doesn't have it, he will be let go. Drafting competition at DT may not have the effect on Hill that the OP suggest but I agree it's the right thing to do for the Cowboys.

quickccc

Reaction score
Hill's career is fine. People in here thought he was a 1st rounder that would walk onto the field and get 5 sacks a game or something. He was a very late 2nd rounder! The Cowboys knew he was raw and need some work. This this next summer is when we can start picking apart his game some.

BTW, how is Kinlaw's knee? Until I know he doesn't have a medical condition he is off my draft board.

Yes, team knew Hill was raw, but 2nd round picks get on the playing fiel,d even in a rotational package way, some way of physically contributing while gradually gaining suitable reps, snaps
and valuable game experience.
They are not expected to sit in street clothes for most of the season on the game day inactive list.

And why is it coincidentally that Taco was eventually made to do the same with these game day inactives, at the tail end of his career as well - under Marinelli ?

quickccc

Reaction score
As much as I'll tell you that needs must be addressed in the draft, reaching for need is not good drafting.

Hill was a project and should have been a mid round pick. He'd be called a "toolsy" pick by some, but it was really just one tool, his awesome first step. IMO, we simply did not evaluate as we should have, and you NEVER take a project pick that early.

To me, Projects are middle to late round guys who are more in the developmental stage. Prospects are more significant contributors, guys you count on more immediately than down the road
developmental guys.
I've heard Jerry say repeatedly on pre/post-draft conferences that guys from your first three rounds are the ones you are counting on to contribute more immediately, from starters to significant rotation status first year.

And you don't usually count on projects to have to come right in the following No.2 year to replace departed Maliek Collins as the starting 3 tech. That supposedly was the plan 2nd round pick Hill.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

You also never let your coaches overrule your scouting department.

But this team allowed that to happen not once, but twice in the last three drafts. And we ended up with a now-released black hole in Taco Charlton over TJ Watt for 2017. And an inactive, sent home, asleep in meetings, bust-until-further-notice in Trysten Hill vs Juan Thornhill and a safety need filled.

kskboys

Reaction score
You also never let your coaches overrule your scouting department.

But this team allowed that to happen not once, but twice in the last three drafts. And we ended up with a now-released black hole in Taco Charlton over TJ Watt for 2017. And an inactive, sent home, asleep in meetings, bust-until-further-notice in Trysten Hill vs Juan Thornhill and a safety need filled.
Unfortunately, this great org doesn't see the need at S.

MCMetal69

Reaction score
"Back on track" ? I'd say he's exactly at the point most of us who were completely opposed to his being chosen , especially that high , expected he'd be.

The 4th Round is the earliest you take risky "projects"........................

chagus

Reaction score
If Dallas picks a player to bolster the middle of the D Line.... all I care about is whether they can contribute NOW. No more projects.

whynot

Reaction score
Hill's career is fine. People in here thought he was a 1st rounder that would walk onto the field and get 5 sacks a game or something. He was a very late 2nd rounder! The Cowboys knew he was raw and need some work. This this next summer is when we can start picking apart his game some.

BTW, how is Kinlaw's knee? Until I know he doesn't have a medical condition he is off my draft board.

This. We’re so obsessed with instant gratification that we can’t let players be, can’t let them develop.

How many other 2nd round picks are instantly awesome?

John813

Reaction score
And to think, just 2 years ago people were wanting Richard to replace Garrett, amazing what 1 year can do to coaches and players alike!

It is. It's a what have you done for me(in the past 6 months) league.
Can have 4 good years, but one stinker and then boom, get them out lol.

kskboys

Reaction score
This. We’re so obsessed with instant gratification that we can’t let players be, can’t let them develop.

How many other 2nd round picks are instantly awesome?
Not really what's being discussed, though a few have gone there. This is more about taking small school project picks early in the draft. That's generally a mistake.