How do you feel about making top rookies wear famous Cowboys jersey numbers?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Bobhaze, May 24, 2022.

1. Blackrain

Blackrain Well-Known Member

3,879 Messages
    5,194 Likes Received
    I don't think players should be forced to wear numbers they don't want.

Beyond that 12 74 and 22 are sacred numbers and should never be worn by anyone else again.

2. Bobhaze

Bobhaze Moderator

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    11,657 Messages
    40,423 Likes Received
    I probably should have changed the title to “Shouldn’t we let players pick their own numbers?”. I was really just wanting to say I wish these players could create their own legacy with what ever number they choose. Being handed #88 or #73 on a rookie is crazy to me.

CalPolyTechnique likes this.
  3. Ranching

Ranching Benched

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    37,068 Messages
    94,352 Likes Received
    Nah, he held 2 clinics for me. We had great conversations. He was my childhood idol and he was even a better person. Jealous?

4. Ranching

Ranching Benched

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    37,068 Messages
    94,352 Likes Received
    Why? It's just a number....if they are intimidated by it, they don't belong.

5. buybuydandavis

buybuydandavis Well-Known Member

20,096 Messages
    17,400 Likes Received
    I say they should have to earn it. All Pro.

Certainly no rookie should be handed one of those numbers.

Dez. Ceedee. No no no.

Let those numbers be something to work toward. A recognition of achievement, not an anointing.

6. plasticman

plasticman Well-Known Member

6,147 Messages
    10,270 Likes Received
    They best represent!

7. JonesBoys

JonesBoys Well-Known Member

2,106 Messages
    2,955 Likes Received

Yes I get that. I'm saying about the legacy of the player will determine if we remember that player with that number. Legacy being what they do in the playoffs, super bowl. Meaning if Lamb is great and the Cowboys get to a super bowl or god forbid win one then people will add him to the 88 club. You will think Pearson, Irvin, Lamb. Cowboys continue to do nothing in the playoffs and even if Lamb has a good career most people won't remember him for 88.

conner01 likes this.
  8. RonnieT24

RonnieT24 Well-Known Member

8,720 Messages
    13,190 Likes Received
    I guess I'm not as big into the idolatry of numbers as some. I honestly don't care if a kid who is a stud wants to wear the number of any past great. If they become something great they honor the legacy of the one(s) who wore the number before him. If they suck nobody will care and they will be gone soon enough anyway. But I guess I do agree that it should be the kid's call if he wants that number. But if they come to a team where their favorite number is taken.. then they get assigned what's left. And like it.

Bobhaze, Proximo and Rayman70 like this.
  9. Rayman70

Rayman70 Well-Known Member

24,519 Messages
    22,794 Likes Received
    I hate it. Like Ronnie said^^^ The idolatry is hard 4 me. I think Rooks need to earn the right first. Nothing should be given.

10. RonnieT24

8,720 Messages
    13,190 Likes Received
    I don't know if he relates to his time but you can best believe a kid growing up in Fort Worth is fully aware of the legend and legacy of Larry Allen.. especially if that kid plays offensive line.

11. RonnieT24

8,720 Messages
    13,190 Likes Received
    Yeah I like this take.. If a rookie comes in and has the cajones to ask for #12 or #22 frankly I love it.. but if I'm the equipment manager I come back with: Tell ya what, I'll hold it aside for ya.. till you show me you're worthy. For now here's #11 or #23 .

Rayman70 likes this.
  12. Mannix

Mannix Well-Known Member

5,046 Messages
    5,780 Likes Received
    Forget the rookies...I'm still livid that Noah Brown is allowed to masquerade around in Kevin William's jersey....talk about blasphemy.

OmerV likes this.
  13. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
    23,396 Messages
    21,526 Likes Received
    Very true
    74 will always be one guy
    My hope is younger fans go back and study these players who played the game before they were born
    And that new guys wearing those numbers can be a guy who lives up to the number

OmerV likes this.
  14. OmerV

OmerV Well-Known Member

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    24,188 Messages
    20,692 Likes Received
    The Cowboys don't retire numbers, but I agree 74 is on the short list of numbers that should be off limits

15. OmerV

OmerV Well-Known Member

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    24,188 Messages
    20,692 Likes Received
    Add Bob Hayes in with #22

Cowboys_22 likes this.
  16. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Well-Known Member

8,197 Messages
    9,394 Likes Received
    12 and 74 are sacred. Retire those already. Every other number I'm fine with being reused.

17. RonnieT24

8,720 Messages
    13,190 Likes Received
    I dunno man.. I think it would have been kinda cool if Troy Aikman had wanted #12 and led the Cowboys to Three titles wearing #12. Bob Hayes was my childhood hero but I enjoyed watching Emmitt add to the legacy of greatness for #22. I like the linkage to the past. But to each his own I guess.

18. OmerV

OmerV Well-Known Member

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    24,188 Messages
    20,692 Likes Received
    That would have been cool. If we only had hindsight ...

19. Rayman70

Rayman70 Well-Known Member

24,519 Messages
    22,794 Likes Received
    exactly!!

20. Brax

Brax Well-Known Member

4,877 Messages
    4,785 Likes Received
    Roger or Randy which is it? Believe me there is nothing about you to be jealous of it’s all in your mind.