How do you let Moehrig go?

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
One pick away. Would have immediately been the best FS we’ve have had in a decade. You have all the picks in the world to move up and make sure you get him. Instead we sit. And we watch someone else move up and get him. Glad we held onto that 6th Stevie, I’m sure it’ll be useful

kevm3

Reaction score
Probably because the FO is reactionary and they got praise one year for 'standing pat', so they thought they'd do it again until other teams adjusted and started jumping the gun in front of us. It'll probably take 2 or 3 years of other teams punishing us for standing pat before we adjust again and start trying to trade up to get guys we want.

chicago JK

Reaction score
We will never get an answer, but I am really interested to know if he was the pick if he made it to 44. If so, they should have traded up.

Joseph off the field and limited starts really scares me. He seems like the guy the team has big expectations for but never really plays to those expectations.

jdnoyes

Reaction score
He had a late back injury working out on his own that was MRI'd during the medical recheck. Some teams felt there was significant enough damage that he might require surgery or missed time. Perhaps the Cowboys were one of those teams. I was fighting mad that they didn't go get him but they know more than we do. I did like the pick they made, but the third round is where it went completely off the rails in my opinion. I don't think any of those three will start a single game for this team.

superonyx

Reaction score
The 2 most likely reasons are not what some of you want to here.

1. They didn't know what others teams were going to do. (no one really knows so stop pretending you do)
2. They didn't have him graded as high as the Cowboyszone draft squad. Or the CB was graded higher and with Kazee we needed a CB more than a safety.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
One pick away. Would have immediately been the best FS we’ve have had in a decade. You have all the picks in the world to move up and make sure you get him. Instead we sit. And we watch someone else move up and get him. Glad we held onto that 6th Stevie, I’m sure it’ll be useful
Incompetent front office, too much coaching input again

superonyx

Reaction score
He had a late back injury working out on his own that was MRI'd during the medical recheck. Some teams felt there was significant enough damage that he might require surgery or missed time. Perhaps the Cowboys were one of those teams. I was fighting mad that they didn't go get him but they know more than we do. I did like the pick they made, but the third round is where it went completely off the rails in my opinion. I don't think any of those three will start a single game for this team.
In my opinion when you get to the 3rd round you are just throwing crap at the wall and seeing what sticks. Sure some great players come in these later rounds but for the most part the bust rate starts getting really high.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That was a huge disappointment. I was hoping we’d use our extra pick to move up to get the guy we wanted.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Probably because the FO is reactionary and they got praise one year for 'standing pat', so they thought they'd do it again until other teams adjusted and started jumping the gun in front of us. It'll probably take 2 or 3 years of other teams punishing us for standing pat before we adjust again and start trying to trade up to get guys we want.

Nailed it.

chicago JK

Reaction score
That is a good take. I still can't believe they had all these picks and moving around was not costly, but they just stayed at all their picks day 2. Day 2 is where they should have been aggressive imo.

jdnoyes

Reaction score
In my opinion when you get to the 3rd round you are just throwing crap at the wall and seeing what sticks. Sure some great players come in these later rounds but for the most part the bust rate starts getting really high.

I agree, and nobody on this board is an NFL scout despite what they may think. My personal opinion only, only time will tell. I will say though that you should get potential starters with top 100 picks and I don't believe the Cowboys did that in the 3rd round.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
But we got a corner that is talented as the corners that went in the top 10 and a position of need