How do you let Moehrig go?

chicago JK

Reaction score
But we got a corner that is talented as the corners that went in the top 10 and a position of need

Time will tell on his talent level. I am not expert. Although I have been seeing this forever. I heard the same about Mike Jenkins. Same about Kareem Latimore, etc.

They all had the "all the talent".

ultron

Reaction score
Simple. We got a better player at a more pressing position of need, a pick later.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Because they don't actually know what they're doing on draft day. Look at the last 4 drafts, one guy has made the Pro Bowl?

true or not, this is a silly statement.

In 2020 exactly one pro-bowler, Justin Jefferson, was taken after their pick. And considering Jefferson didn’t deal with an injured QB starter, we don’t know if he’s better than Lamb long term.

In 2019, we didn’t have a first round pick because we traded it for Cooper and I believe 2 pro-bowlers went after our pick. DK Metcalf and a Punter. We made bad picks, but using pro-bowls as a barometer makes no sense.

In 2018 we selected pro bowler Leighton Vander-Esch in the first and missed out on a few pro bowlers mainly in round 3. If pro bowls are what’s important we could have taken DJ Chark in round 2 and Orlando Brown in round 3 (or just taken Brown in round 2) but IMO we missed on Connor Williams not because he’s not a pro bowler but because he’s an average at best player who should be replaced.

2017 was just all sorts of bad. We certainly missed out on top tier talent but to be frank the team would be in a better position today had they just hit on 2-3 guys regardless of making the pro-bowl. At this point our biggest contributors are back up slot CB Jourdan Lewis and special teams guy Noah Brown.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I'm guessing his injury put him lower on the board. Corner was a big need and we maybe got the best physical corner in the draft. I would have traded all the remaining picks to have both, though.

Brooksey

Reaction score
He's not that good, check out his tape here. Looks like an UDFA

starfan1

Reaction score
The FS position has been ignored for so long that some cowboy fans would be happy with any draft the has S attached to it same with a DT

I’m not sure I understand round 3 but there isn’t anyone that was starting over Kazee. I think they were trying to move up and got stonewalled or heat to punch

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
The 2 most likely reasons are not what some of you want to here.

1. They didn't know what others teams were going to do. (no one really knows so stop pretending you do)
2. They didn't have him graded as high as the Cowboyszone draft squad. Or the CB was graded higher and with Kazee we needed a CB more than a safety.

Bingo. As if they should've known that a team would trade in front of them at the last minute?

And maybe he wasn't even our guy anyway. Joseph is very talented at a position we needed too.

Too many Monday morning QBs on this board. Lol

lukin2006

Reaction score
Quit acting surprised. This franchise is a dumpster fire. The Cowboys are the new Lions. At least Lions ownership hires football people to draft...

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One pick away. Would have immediately been the best FS we’ve have had in a decade. You have all the picks in the world to move up and make sure you get him. Instead we sit. And we watch someone else move up and get him. Glad we held onto that 6th Stevie, I’m sure it’ll be useful
1. Medical concerns
2. You don't know where he was on the Cowboys draft board

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I mean makes me feel better he went ahead of us. Wouldn’t have been our pick regardless
It is irrelevant where he went. We were not getting out of that round without their precious cornerback. It is that kind of stilted thinking that holds back this team.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Better question, why take a chance on the NYG taking Parsons because he was connected to them and that trade to let PHL jump them for Smith could have really pissed them off enough to take Parsons out of spite. Mara doesn't like Booger anyway.

Reaction score
One pick away. Would have immediately been the best FS we’ve have had in a decade. You have all the picks in the world to move up and make sure you get him. Instead we sit. And we watch someone else move up and get him. Glad we held onto that 6th Stevie, I’m sure it’ll be useful

Honestly, I think it is Stephen Jones being arrogant and stubborn. He knows everyone in the world criticizes them for their attention to the safety position. He even made a comment after saying awww the poor little safety position got left out again or something like that. It’s ridiculous because the FS is one of the most important spots in Quinn’s defense and the guy currently slated to play it is coming of an Achilles and probably won’t even be ready for the season.

This is the franchise and always will be. They make good/great moves but are stubborn to a detriment. This draft isn’t as bad as people are making it out to be but, it could have been better from a BPA/needs perspective because they could have got a FS moving up and it only costs u a Nahshon Wright, who is seen as an 7/UDFA anyway. Also, you have to utilize FA to team build but, they have made mistakes that hurt this team paying the wrong players and not paying the right players. Waiting to sign Dak cost them an extra $10 a year. Paying Zeke, paying Jaylon, letting Byron walk. Not addressing key positions DL and S. Frustrating because they’re not far off but, May never get there because their approach in my opinion.

Flamma

Reaction score

With the way these players fell, Dallas could have got both Moehrig and DT Barmore. But it appeared that their minds were set.

btcutter

Reaction score
Probably because the FO is reactionary and they got praise one year for 'standing pat', so they thought they'd do it again until other teams adjusted and started jumping the gun in front of us. It'll probably take 2 or 3 years of other teams punishing us for standing pat before we adjust again and start trying to trade up to get guys we want.

Just because we got lucky last year the FO thought light I am strike again. We have the ammunition this year ! Trade a damn 4th and move up 3-4 spot to ensure you get the S you spent so much time evaluating!
That’s why we will be stuck in mediocrity

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Kelvin Joseph is a better talent than moehrig. If i had to have one or the other it would be joseph

JOK is better talent than Joseph.

Butkus award winner would have stepped into SS and dime LB spot from day one.

JOK is 2nd coming of Darren Woodson.

btcutter

Reaction score
With the way these players fell, Dallas could have got both Moehrig and DT Barmore. But it appeared that their minds were set.
Their minds weren’t set. Their minds were stuck in 2nd gear. ‍