How does Jerry watch a game like that and think Garrett is acceptable?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How is my point wrong? My point wasn't that every 5-5 team in history had no shot at a Super Bowl; I said we have no shot at a Super Bowl.

Sure, you can hope. You can hope for anything you want. Kids hope Santa Claus will come down their chimney. Hope is a feeling based on nothing more than desire and wishfulness.

Tossing hope aside and looking at things logically and realistically, we must realize that not all 5-5 (or 3-3, or whatever middling record you want to throw out) teams are created equally. Two of the ones you mentioned were led by, as I said, transcendent talents or all-time great coaches (Belichick/Brady/Rodgers). We have neither. The other had a guy in Eli who, at least in those playoffs, played at an all-time level and were coached by Coughlin, who will be in the Hall of Fame. I think we're quite a ways away from preparing Garrett's bust for Canton.

I’m not hoping. Only pointing out you’re claiming something is impossible when you don’t have the evidence to know it’s impossible. You overreached.

Not gonna parse rosters with you. It’s enough that .500 teams late in seasons have won recent championships.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
He said that he did work with a guru during the off season...

Then if Dak didn't get much for it he needs to own up to it. But that doesn't mean he's going to be like this forever. He is young and willing to learn. So there is still hope for him.

ondaedg

Reaction score
I thought about this, umm lets see it was a 3point game there were TYOs by there QBs Fumbles Missed Xpoints..really its relative either you play a low scoring close game with defense and clock control or you play a high scoring close game..it was a 3 point game so whats the point of scoring so many points if you cant stop anyone?

right now there are what 5 teams playing this style ,,some maybe coming but out of 32 the way the cowboys play is still the Norm in the NFL.. I watch the big 12 and im not a fan of high scoring games that still end by less then a score for the win with nearly no defense..again its relative still close games but what more exciting, but how if the fans still have to wait until the final drive to win or lose just like us?

if we played with a little more downfield offense, a little more aggression and creativity thats great but I wont ne happy scoring 51 if we gave up 48..im not sure if this is trend or a direction because ive seen offenses similar to this at times with Pmanning, Brady that one year with moss, the Rams Greatest show on turf, and other sporatic teams that found a dynamic Offense but the rest of the NFL just played NFL ball and those offenses didnt produce a ton of championships did they?

so what if all 32 plays like college and the big 12 in particular so we still see close games but high scoring and everyone's the same? its becoming Arena league and I dont like it..whats next flag football.. I like the NFL style because its hard hitting hard nosed Man up or go home play instead of finesse..

also notice how FN long that game was? im not sure I was impressed..again we need change but going all like this , not sure thats the answer either..

Why do you think that teams with high powered offenses have to be terrible on defense?

ondaedg

Reaction score
Yes.

Our schemes are trash. I don't know how you can't see this but hey if that's what you find acceptable then by all means go ahead.

Our coaches rely on talent and make us easy to defend and if we can't out athlete the other team then we're in trouble because the coaches are trash.

It's been a little better the past couple of weeks but the amount of scrutiny it's taken to get these clowns doing things like not taking the ball first or not running every single time on first down is what should've got them thrown out the door.

They do not understand 2018 football and it shows with their pre-historic approach to football.

There are a few who for some weird reason defend Garrett. The rest of the football world sees a HC who requires his coordinators to handle ALL Xs and Os duties because he struggles at that aspect. He's a culture coach and that is not enough to win consistently in this league.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
It's crazy how people still defend Garrett...just crazy. We get it, if everything goes right in a season, he can "coach" his way to a divisional title and to the divisional round of the playoffs where they will be embarrassed by an Aaron Rodgers or other elite QB. If you're the Detroit Lions, Cleveland Browns, or Washington Commanders then that's a decent standard to go by I guess

Number1

Reaction score
You get the sense that the league is passing us by when you watch teams like the Rams and Chiefs. Compare that performance to the dink and dank crap we had to sit through yesterday for 3 hours against one of the worst defenses in the league and it's easy to see why some find it hard to be optimistic about this team even after 2 straight wins. This is a slow walk to the slaughterhouse if this team makes the playoffs.

After 10+ years, Garrett should have our offense running like a well-oiled machine. How does Jerry and Stephen not even blink while witnessing other coaches achieve it in a 1/5th of the time afforded to Garrett? I just don't get it. Is comfortability THAT important?

JG don't work for JG

in the last 2 years they have flipped well over half the roster
that's called rebuilding - at light speed
the result an incredibility young team and didn't blow up the cap
was all that JG's call or even his idea?

in 2017 they overhauled the D, it's starting to pay
in 2018 the offense O - including 3 new TEs and 5 new WRs in an O designed to throw the fewest passes in the NFL wasn't gonna gel fast

the plan (it seems) was to gel by Thanksgiving and make a run, well here we are - the NFCE is like that
that's pretty bold, they'll go into the off season with a nice hand to play, and it may work this year

as for playoffs ... let's see who's healthy come January

Fire407

Reaction score
It's crazy how people still defend Garrett...just crazy. We get it, if everything goes right in a season, he can "coach" his way to a divisional title and to the divisional round of the playoffs where they will be embarrassed by an Aaron Rodgers or other elite QB. If you're the Detroit Lions, Cleveland Browns, or Washington Commanders then that's a decent standard to go by I guess
The sad thing is that JG will be in the ring of honor before Jimmy Johnson.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Why do you think that teams with high powered offenses have to be terrible on defense?
look at those defenses , they just gave up 51 to team who also committed 5 turnovers.. without those TOs KC might have put up 61 on the rams..they should be real happy with all that investment on Defense and the job Wades doing.. LOL even teams who dont have KC Offense are still putting up higher then league Average on them and thats the truth,, the quicker and faster you score then more Drives you give your Opponent..

a quick glance at total defense rankings Saints are highest at 16 , Rams 21st, and KC around 30... im sure other parts are even worse as far as Pass D and RUN d separate etc..hard to see them just walking over say a Steelers team is who not as GREAT on Offense but way higher on Defense and can score 30 most anytime but nt 50 so I can see them upsetting KC and you cant leave out NE who already beat them, Rams were one and done last year and we know the saints most likely get past rams or vice versa but before that do they get upset by long shot in say Chicago who has great defense and a solid offense can run take time off clock and fling it downfield??People have these elite high flying circus offenses already IN SB but likely I can see of the 3 in two left out to team who slows them down enough and plays keep away with scores 30 or below etc

Last edited:

Alweezy

Reaction score
JG don't work for JG

in the last 2 years they have flipped well over half the roster
that's called rebuilding - at light speed
the result an incredibility young team and didn't blow up the cap
was all that JG's call or even his idea?

in 2017 they overhauled the D, it's starting to pay
in 2018 the offense O - including 3 new TEs and 5 new WRs in an O designed to throw the fewest passes in the NFL wasn't gonna gel fast

the plan (it seems) was to gel by Thanksgiving and make a run, well here we are - the NFCE is like that
that's pretty bold, they'll go into the off season with a nice hand to play, and it may work this year

as for playoffs ... let's see who's healthy come January

When do we get to see the built product? It seem like Cowboys have been in a rebuilding process for over 11 years. In 2007 the team was "built". Then we washed it away with a new coach. Then that coach gets to learn on the job so every year is a process. Then all of a sudden we're flipping half the roster? When in all of that window did we actually get a end product?

Like someone said earlier, the Rams not 2 years ago were one of the worst teams in the NFL with a mediocre coach. Now at light speed, they are the favorites for the Super Bowl. THAT is rebuilding. Not this consistent 8-8 to 10 - 6 range by the Dallas Cowboys PR every offseason.

Number1

Reaction score
When do we get to see the built product? It seem like Cowboys have been in a rebuilding process for over 11 years. In 2007 the team was "built". Then we washed it away with a new coach. Then that coach gets to learn on the job so every year is a process. Then all of a sudden we're flipping half the roster? When in all of that window did we actually get a end product?

Like someone said earlier, the Rams not 2 years ago were one of the worst teams in the NFL with a mediocre coach. Now at light speed, they are the favorites for the Super Bowl. THAT is rebuilding. Not this consistent 8-8 to 10 - 6 range by the Dallas Cowboys PR every offseason.

you skipped the 2012-2013 rebuild

also you talk about JG like he runs the FO ... this is the JJ show

BTW, the finished product in the modern NFL is a contender - that's how slightly better than can win a SB like last year, then collapse

Alweezy

Reaction score
you skipped the 2012-2013 rebuild

also you talk about JG like he runs the FO ... this is the JJ show

BTW, the finished product in the modern NFL is a contender - that's how slightly better than can win a SB like last year, then collapse

That's kinda my point.. I don't think we ever not been in a period of rebuilding. 2012-2013? Sure add that to the list.

To me the whole Garrett era has been under the scope of Jones rebuilding the team back to what it was in that period after Parcells left and just a few weeks before Wade Phillips lost the team.

The 2007 - 2009 is era I credit that the Cowboys were not rebuilding.

Then 2010 we lose the team. 2011 - 2013 is a rebuild. We had Monte Kiffen running a base tampa 2 Defense in the modern day. Then We lose Ware in 2014 and start over with a new defensive identity and coach again. In 2015 we lose Romo and are back to rebuilding and picking high in the draft. In 2016 it's the Dak and Zeke show after Romo speeds up our rebuild again by getting hurt again. And Jones offers the epitome of a rebuild by benching the long time starter for his successor. 2017, we rebuild the defense and lose all of our original stars at season's end signaling that it's time to retool offensively. (Dez, Witten, Bailey). And 2018.. we are looking to rebuild the offensive line again which we just finished in 2014 with Martin.

Once Philly went out and won a SB, in one offseason, after chip Kelly burned that organization into the ground. I have to say the process of rebuilding over many years became more and more of a marketing thing in my eyes. I'm sorry but that's how it feels. Rebuild if you must, but at some point, there needs to be an end game instead of constant overturn of roster and positions.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
He said that he did work with a guru during the off season...

He did. That's where having a proper QB Coach or someone on staff to help him during the season, with mechanics and such is beneficial. It helps in the offseason, but you need a coach or teacher that can help when those issues creep back in. That was something McVay brought up about Goff, they had him work with a teacher on his own in the offseason, but also drilled him over and over on his mechanics during TC until it was becoming second nature. It was noted that during Goff's rookie year under Fisher, his QB Coach was also a rookie coach without any coaching or teaching experience. His QB Coaches since have been experienced coaches and teachers to help with his development. They didn't just leave it up to himself to seek out guidance.

It makes sense to have someone experienced on staff to work with him during TC, pre-season, regular season. There's no cap on coaching. Other sports have people on staff to work specifically with players on mechanics during the season, games or matches, pitching coaches, batting coaches, shooting coaches in the NBA, trainers in a boxers corner telling them when they're dropping their hands or telegraphing punches, golfers have swing coaches, putting coaches. That should be part of Kellen Moore's job, but is that something that should be left to someone with no experience in coaching? It's not like this organization is hurting for cash. Alexander was fired as OL Coach and Colombo promoted and they didn't even trust him enough to coach on his own without bringing Houck in to help consult.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
If you don't like it move on to the next thread...

It doesn't matter which thread anyone goes to. Sooner or later the Garrett whiners show up and start their whining and it's like that every day. No matter what the thread is about, sooner or later the whiners start their whine as their answer to whatever that thread is about.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
That's kinda my point.. I don't think we ever not been in a period of rebuilding. 2012-2013? Sure add that to the list.

To me the whole Garrett era has been under the scope of Jones rebuilding the team back to what it was in that period after Parcells left and just a few weeks before Wade Phillips lost the team.

The 2007 - 2009 is era I credit that the Cowboys were not rebuilding.

Then 2010 we lose the team. 2011 - 2013 is a rebuild. We had Monte Kiffen running a base tampa 2 Defense in the modern day. Then We lose Ware in 2014 and start over with a new defensive identity and coach again. In 2015 we lose Romo and are back to rebuilding and picking high in the draft. In 2016 it's the Dak and Zeke show after Romo speeds up our rebuild again by getting hurt again. And Jones offers the epitome of a rebuild by benching the long time starter for his successor. 2017, we rebuild the defense and lose all of our original stars at season's end signaling that it's time to retool offensively. (Dez, Witten, Bailey). And 2018.. we are looking to rebuild the offensive line again which we just finished in 2014 with Martin.

Once Philly went out and won a SB, in one offseason, after chip Kelly burned that organization into the ground. I have to say the process of rebuilding over many years became more and more of a marketing thing in my eyes. I'm sorry but that's how it feels. Rebuild if you must, but at some point, there needs to be an end game instead of constant overturn of roster and positions.

Lets take a little closer look at your exaggerations namely Bryant, Witten and Bailey. Bryant who signed a big contract before the 2015 season and then hadn't gotten to 1000 yards again while in a Cowboys uniform. He did lead the league in drops and was one drop short of doing it twice though. He was a free agent since April and wasn't signed by any team until week 9 and you're whining about him. If he was as good as and you think he is he wouldn't have sat for so long unsigned. The saints only signed due to injuries. Now Witten who after 15 seasons a TV network offers him a prime job so he decides to retire after FIFTEEN SEASONS. And then Bailey, while except for his last season with the Cowboys was one of the best kickers ever, but that last season he struggled the last half of the season and then was out kicked in training camp. This year with the vikings he's missed an extra point, had a game with 2 missed field goals, 1 was a 39 yarder, and and other games with missed field goals which proves he's not the same kicker he was prior to 2017. so to say the Cowboys are in this big rebuild offensively is exaggeration. Jest they needed a #1 receiver and would have still needed one if Bryant was here because he hadn't been a true #1 receiver for 3 years. and then there have been injuries on the O-line but then according to you if a team suffers injuries they are actually rebuilding. Witten was a big loss but we all knew his time was running out and was inevitable.

Have the Cowboys played and won the way I would like - heck no, but to whine about a player that was over paid and under preforming for years and a player that had a long career that decided to retire and a player that was beaten out in training camp is just silly.

GMO415

Reaction score
It's called with the help of Johnny Blue
jPKJZxa.jpg

morat1959

Reaction score
Because two years ago we were the darlings and the Rams were the dogs.

And just last year this same Chiefs team said Dallas was the best team in the league the week after they played us.

That’s how the league is these days. You guys need to let some of the irrational hate go. You’re only frustrating yourselves.

Irrational???? So your ok with the direction of this team from FO, to coaching staff, to Dak’s development and the offensive philosophy of Garrett/Linehan?

Tommy

Reaction score
I would KILL for Andy Reid's resume the last 20 years. Are you serious?
If Andy Reid was coaching this team for the last 20 years almost everyone here would want him fired.

We would be reading new threads everyday about how he is a great regular season coach but it doesn’t mean anything if he can’t win when it matters.