How does Jerry watch a game like that and think Garrett is acceptable?

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
Let's see where we end up. We're on a pace the last two weeks to end up 11-5. It all depends where you want to take your measurement from. (I don't think we'll end up 11-5).

You can say all you want that there's 'no hope' of winning a Superbowl, but 5-5 teams have done it before, so it's not true. We'd agree if you had said there's little hope of winning a Superbowl, but that's the case for most teams. You watch the games because there's a chance. Otherwise, what's the point?

What 5-5 teams have gone on to win a Super Bowl?

I'm willing to bet it's very, very infrequent, and the ones who did probably were led by a transcendent talent, and/or an all-time great coach. We have neither.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
No one has ever said that Romo was beyond mistakes but he rarely had a D that could bail him out if he did make a mistake. What did the D do after Romo threw that int? Did they stiffen up and keep the Broncos from scoring again? Nope they didn't.

Actually the defense did, he threw the int down by our own endzone and Broncos took over at the 24 yard line and settled for a FG but they were already in FG when they intercepted it.

jjktkk

Reaction score
I agree (somewhat) but its easier to find a coach/coordinator than it is a franchise QB. I support Dak, but thats because hes our QB plain and simple. Better QBs dont grow on trees. If an opportunity arises for a clear upgrade then by all means, until then I hope his flashes and spurts become more consistent and he develops into a better player. I like the kid and I think he has talent, maybe in the right system with seasoning he is a long term answer. We wont likely know though if we dont taylor the offense to his skill set.
If a new HC were in place, I would have no problem letting him coach up Dak, if he thought he could improve on Dak's overall performance. I also wouldn't be opposed to bringing in some legit QB competition for Dak next year either. I love Dak's intangibles, but the same limitations that caused him to be drafted in the 4th found(accuracy) is still an issue in his 3rd year in the pros.

Reactions: CWR

Jake0

Reaction score
Frank Reich has turned Luck back around. It's funny what good coaching can do.

No, it's mainly because of drafting Quenton Nelson and Braden Smith. Turned the crappy OL around real quick. Luck just needs some protection and he will carve you up without elite skill position players. Reich undoubtedly helps a lot too though.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I don't think Jerry even believes Jason is that great a coach. He's made too many critical comments about him over the years.

But he makes Jerry comfortable, and Jerry doesn't believe head coaching is that important anyway.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Im NOT a Garrett supporter but neither team played defense last night. Somehow and somewhere while everyone falls all over themselves complementing the 50 point scores it is necessary to acknowledge garbage defense being played.

I know most expect us to get blown out by the high powered Saints offense, but I dont think it happens. We may lose but they wont run us out of the stadium like many predict. Football doesn't start and end with offense.

There is one caveat to your statement; the offense has to control the ball. If not, it would be a blow out. The defense has played good enough to win most games. Three and outs and turnovers are not conducive to helping your defense.

Reactions: CWR

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You get the sense that the league is passing us by when you watch teams like the Rams and Chiefs. Compare that performance to the dink and dank crap we had to sit through yesterday for 3 hours against one of the worst defenses in the league and it's easy to see why some find it hard to be optimistic about this team even after 2 straight wins. This is a slow walk to the slaughterhouse if this team makes the playoffs.

After 10+ years, Garrett should have our offense running like a well-oiled machine. How does Jerry and Stephen not even blink while witnessing other coaches achieve it in a 1/5th of the time afforded to Garrett? I just don't get it. Is comfortability THAT important?

I'm in favor of replacing Garrett and Linehan, but...

The Falcons offense didn't do much and they have 3 WRs that are better than what the Cowboys had to start the season and their #1 WR is arguably the best WR in the NFL.

The Falcons QB is considered a proven legit Franchise QB.

Does the Falcons Head Coach and offensive coordinator suck?

Again, I've seen enough of Garrett/Linehan but that concept of judging them based on 1 Cowboys game vs 1 game between 2 other teams is just a waste of time.

Even comparing offensive styles directly with another team does not really work. The styles are dependent on specific rosters.

The Cowboys won 3 Super Bowls with an offensive style that wouldn't work for most teams. The Patriots roster in each of their Super Bowl seasons might not have made the playoffs running the Aikman/Irvin/Emmitt/Cowboys-OL style offense.

My question is what style should they run with Dak/Zeke/Cooper and the assumption that the OLine will be better than average next season.

Zeke is possibly the best RB in the NFL. Any style they run should be designed around that.

Dak wins when the pass protection is good. The Romo run around and hold the ball 6 seconds waiting for a receiver to get open would be the worst style for Dak.

A new HC/OC would have a lot of talent to work with in 2019 but the wrong style could doom the team.

I have not studied potential HC/OC types to really know the best option.

I like the pick plays, yards after catch and ability to win in the short/intermediate area that Josh McDaniels runs with the Pats but their minimal reliance on RBs as rushers and the max reliance on Brady is not a good fit.

The Cowboys are running some RPO stuff but I think many OCs scheme that better than Linehan.

I think a new OC should be a master of the RPO type plays.

With the correct HC/OC and a legit TE, the Cowboys can have great success with Dak and the current roster.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
You get the sense that the league is passing us by when you watch teams like the Rams and Chiefs. Compare that performance to the dink and dank crap we had to sit through yesterday for 3 hours against one of the worst defenses in the league and it's easy to see why some find it hard to be optimistic about this team even after 2 straight wins. This is a slow walk to the slaughterhouse if this team makes the playoffs.

After 10+ years, Garrett should have our offense running like a well-oiled machine. How does Jerry and Stephen not even blink while witnessing other coaches achieve it in a 1/5th of the time afforded to Garrett? I just don't get it. Is comfortability THAT important?

Guys, what is it always about "garrett" with some folks.

Jerry said flat out that he wouldn't trade Dak for "two first rounders".

Come on. What kind of an asinine statement. How many QB's in the entire league, much less on our roster, aren't worth 2 first round picks. You can count them on one hand.

The "dink and dunk" crap is as much or more the fault of the guy under center than it is the scheme.
Guys are open deep. Repeatedly. They aren't being seen.

At what point do we take a look at the guy throwing the ball, rather than the guy designing the plays

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'm willing to bet it's very, very infrequent, and the ones who did probably were led by a transcendent talent, and/or an all-time great coach. We have neither.

2011 Giants were 7-7. The Packers Superbowl team was 3-3 before they went on a run. IIRC, the Patriots first Brady team was 5-5 exactly.

So, not that infrequent in recent memory. Either way, it doesn't need to be infrequent for your point to have been wrong. There's some hope it could happen in any given season. Take away the .500 requirement, and mediocre-looking teams early end up being very competitive at the ends of seasons all the time.

blueblood70

Reaction score

Im guessing but those two 9-7 teams that NYG had that one them had to be .500 or below at some point those seasons

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
2011 Giants were 7-7. The Packers Superbowl team was 3-3 before they went on a run. IIRC, the Patriots first Brady team was 5-5 exactly.

So, not that infrequent in recent memory. Either way, it doesn't need to be infrequent for your point to have been wrong. There's some hope it could happen in any given season. Take away the .500 requirement, and mediocre-looking teams early end up being very competitive at the ends of seasons all the time.

How is my point wrong? My point wasn't that every 5-5 team in history had no shot at a Super Bowl; I said we have no shot at a Super Bowl.

Sure, you can hope. You can hope for anything you want. Kids hope Santa Claus will come down their chimney. Hope is a feeling based on nothing more than desire and wishfulness.

Tossing hope aside and looking at things logically and realistically, we must realize that not all 5-5 (or 3-3, or whatever middling record you want to throw out) teams are created equally. Two of the ones you mentioned were led by, as I said, transcendent talents or all-time great coaches (Belichick/Brady/Rodgers). We have neither. The other had a guy in Eli who, at least in those playoffs, played at an all-time level and were coached by Coughlin, who will be in the Hall of Fame. I think we're quite a ways away from preparing Garrett's bust for Canton.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
No, it's mainly because of drafting Quenton Nelson and Braden Smith. Turned the crappy OL around real quick. Luck just needs some protection and he will carve you up without elite skill position players. Reich undoubtedly helps a lot too though.
Yeah the person you quoted talking like Luck was thought of as a bust like Goff. People have always said Luck was decent just injuries and the line were a problem.

TheHerd

Reaction score
NE isn't as good this year. Like a Phoenix someone will arise from the ashes but not NE or the Chiefs.

Pittsburgh has often had a better team but they always lose. NE it's as good as ever, imo. We'll see. They seem to win when they really need it.

Brady is 77 and still playing great, he must have made a deal with the devil.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Nope. Dak supposed worked with a guru during the off season and did that stick?

If Dak is supposed to be working with a guru why didn't he? Who's responsible for him working with a guru? Dak himself or the coaching staff?