How does Payton make the Cowboys better?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He is personal friends with Jerry Jones, coached for the Cowboys under Parcells, and Sean Payton lives in Dallas during the offseason (Highland Park if I remember correctly).

And supposedly the Cowboys tried to trade for Payton back in 2019 but the deal fell through. So that is a lot of dots to connect, not saying its going to happen, but its not as far fetched as people are making it sound.
We all know the history. And it’s pure speculative drama.

starcity214

Reaction score
People want to bring in Payton because they think he will turn Dak into Brees..

But if it were that simple, Taysom Hill would of been as good as Brees was in that offense. I dont understand how some fans can clearly see that Pollard is more talented than Zeke (at this point of his career) but they can't see that Dak will never be a Brees lol

Talent matters. Coaching can only do so much in the NFL. It's the reason we see top coaches like Sean McVay, B Arians, and Andy Reid upgrade the QB position. If talent didn't matter, those coaches would have stayed with the limited QBs already on their rosters.

But hey, I say bring Payton in.. I give him 1 and a half year before fans start calling his offense "PreDiCtaBle"

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
So I'm just listening to Stephen A Smith clip. ( I know I know I don't like him either or really pay attention). But he said something interesting, he said he couldn't troll us as much if we got Sean Peyton. Now obviously I don't really care what the guy says, he's just a troll himself.

But the larger point is people look at Sean Peyton with respect. Its about bringing back respect to this organization. To be taken seriously again. Thats a first step. We are a laughingstock, its embedded in our DNA the past 20 years. We need a guy that can help change that.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Addition by subtraction makes this team better....funny though, it seems like I have been saying this for the last 26 years and every time we add by subract, we still stink lol

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I agree with Michael Irvin that he’s better because he had always kept them competitive even when they lose players. They were 9-8 this year with 4 QBs. There is also this I saw today

According to Elias Sports Bureau research, Payton and the Saints rank first in NFL history in average points scored (27.6 per game) and yards gained (391.2 per game) among all coach-team combos with at least five seasons together

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
So why has Payton only gotten to 2 Super Bowls with a Hall of Fame QB if he’s the key to us getting there?

He’s the same as McCarthy just has more media hype around him. Also he was regarded as the young whiz kid. He’s now 58! He’ll be about 60 when opening day 2023 hits. That’s not exactly the definition of young and innovative.

After taking a year off near 60 I doubt he’ll want to slave away for 18 hours a day. That’s supposedly what some criticism of McCarthy is.

Broaddus talks about how great he was to work with on 1998. People talk about being the young OC with Parcells in 2003. Those are 20 years ago.

Also no QB takes some meteoric rise in year 8 of his career which is what Dak will be to start 2023 so Payton isn’t turning Dak into Mahomes. Aikman was almost done after year 8. Romos back was done after starting for 8 years.

He very well may come here because he’s the white whale Jerry’s chased forever. But it’s more to close Jerry’s career than anything else.

I’d rather hire Lincoln Riley than Payton. Lincoln is now who everyone thought Payton was 20 years ago.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
People want to bring in Payton because they think he will turn Dak into Brees..

But if it were that simple, Taysom Hill would of been as good as Brees was in that offense. I dont understand how some fans can clearly see that Pollard is more talented than Zeke (at this point of his career) but they can't see that Dak will never be a Brees lol

Talent matters. Coaching can only do so much in the NFL. It's the reason we see top coaches like Sean McVay, B Arians, and Andy Reid upgrade the QB position. If talent didn't matter, those coaches would have stayed with the limited QBs already on their rosters.

But hey, I say bring Payton in.. I give him 1 and a half year before fans start calling his offense "PreDiCtaBle"
We dont need Dak to be Brees, we just need Dak not to be Cousins (beat bad teams/lose to good teams).

Payton can do that. I mean, look at how he had Winston playing before he got hurt. He never played like that in Tampa. Proof that coaching actually does matter.

If nothing else, Payton can at least manage the clock decently. That alone is worth at least 1-2 wins over Fat Mike.

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score
At the risk of another Payton thread, I am a little confused by all of this Payton love.

Just how does he make this team better? Do you think he gets more control than the other coaches not named Johnson or Parcells?

If not for the Saints defense, they're picking in the top 5 and maybe he's sticking around instead of running from the mess he's made.

He was far more dependent on Brees than Belichick was on Brady.

If you get the chance to watch that Rams-Saints playoff game, the no call PI game, pay close attention to the end of that game and the plays being called. If not for that ref snafu, that's all people are talking about and that was all that Buck and Aikman were talking about. Aikman was flabbergasted. It was really dumb play calling.

Do you really think Payton is the guy to turn this into a deep run playoff team? Why? Because he's done that in the past? Didn't Parcells and McCarthy do that too?

The last thing this team needs to be giving is giving up 1st round draft picks because those are the only ones they are consistent with and this team needs talent as much as it needs a HC, probably more so.
He schemed open receivers. None of his top receivers were real talented.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Better clock management, he'll actually communicate with players during the game.

Gaede

Reaction score
He doesn't unless he changes Jerry but I don't know why he would. He's no more accomplished than the guy he has now.

Came in here to say this. Probably the only way a new coach succeeds is to stand up to Jerry and change the culture. Parcells made organizational changes that brought years of competitive teams after years of futility. He broke the pattern of failure. The new coach would have to do something similar to the culture here. Payton is a friend of Jerry and not likely that guy.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At the risk of another Payton thread, I am a little confused by all of this Payton love.

Just how does he make this team better? Do you think he gets more control than the other coaches not named Johnson or Parcells?

If not for the Saints defense, they're picking in the top 5 and maybe he's sticking around instead of running from the mess he's made.

He was far more dependent on Brees than Belichick was on Brady.

If you get the chance to watch that Rams-Saints playoff game, the no call PI game, pay close attention to the end of that game and the plays being called. If not for that ref snafu, that's all people are talking about and that was all that Buck and Aikman were talking about. Aikman was flabbergasted. It was really dumb play calling.

Do you really think Payton is the guy to turn this into a deep run playoff team? Why? Because he's done that in the past? Didn't Parcells and McCarthy do that too?

The last thing this team needs to be giving is giving up 1st round draft picks because those are the only ones they are consistent with and this team needs talent as much as it needs a HC, probably more so.

Sean Payton is an offensive genius and future HOF coach. He is on par with Bill Walsh and Andy Reid. Not only could he come here and design an offense that might actually work with the limitations of our QB, but he would command the respect of the locker room. Players would bring their A game more often.

But more so than that, Sean Payton isn't afraid of Jerry Jones or in awe of the opportunity to coach the Cowboys. If he came here, it would be on his terms many of which would certainly curb Jerry's influence.

Last edited:

wecasa

Reaction score
So Sean Peyton has some kind of Jedi mind tricks that work on Jerry and will keep him in check?

I dont know. With all the "puppet" coach/player stuff I read about on here, seems strange to get excited about Jerry's BFF being suggested as a coach.

It's just rearranging deck chairs on the titanic. The only way I'd see change occurring is if the Jones company hopped the yacht and went on a 3 hour tour to Gilligan's Island and left the team to anyone else...