How does Payton make the Cowboys better?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well for one he can coach offense and the QB. Our number one priority has to be Dak, like it or not. That’s what I thought Mike was too but apparently he doesn’t want to do that.

Two, the return of the screen pass. NO has always been awesome at that.

Three, he uses his weapons all over the field.

Four, he’s a disciple of Bill and uses the same concepts etc that he learned from him, meaning don’t eat the cheese, mouse traps, etc etc.
My thread title was a question, not a challenge, and you answered it well.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I think the most important thing Payton will do for us when he comes here is he’s going to maximize Dak’s potential. Whatever that is for better or worse, I’m confident he’ll get the most out of Dak that’s possible.
how? is he some kind of a QB whisperer?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Smarter play calling
Smarter scheming for mismatches
Better game and clock management
Gets more out of talent
He’s a vastly superior coach to MM, whom I’m still not sure what does exactly
he has one ring. MM has one ring. both had HOF QBs....Saints defenses always ranked towards the bottom during Payton's tenure....so what makes him vastly better?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
So why has Payton only gotten to 2 Super Bowls with a Hall of Fame QB if he’s the key to us getting there?

He’s the same as McCarthy just has more media hype around him. Also he was regarded as the young whiz kid. He’s now 58! He’ll be about 60 when opening day 2023 hits. That’s not exactly the definition of young and innovative.

After taking a year off near 60 I doubt he’ll want to slave away for 18 hours a day. That’s supposedly what some criticism of McCarthy is.

Broaddus talks about how great he was to work with on 1998. People talk about being the young OC with Parcells in 2003. Those are 20 years ago.

Also no QB takes some meteoric rise in year 8 of his career which is what Dak will be to start 2023 so Payton isn’t turning Dak into Mahomes. Aikman was almost done after year 8. Romos back was done after starting for 8 years.

He very well may come here because he’s the white whale Jerry’s chased forever. But it’s more to close Jerry’s career than anything else.

I’d rather hire Lincoln Riley than Payton. Lincoln is now who everyone thought Payton was 20 years ago.
two superbowls? I thought it was only one

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Every nfl front office, every nfl analysis, every former nfl player, every former cowboys player would tell you that comparing MM to Payton isn't even fair. Payton was one of the top 5 coaches in sports and will be in the HOF, the only HOF MM will be in is maybe the Burger King HOF..asking this question isn't fair to Payton.
payton in HOF? :huh:

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
It will take a lot of assets to get him. Imagine how off the hook this board will be if he does coach in 2023 and brings his bad officiating karma with him.