How Good Can Tony Romo Become?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
YoMick;1667700 said:
I think Parcell's said it best.... he told Romo before he left... "never let "good enough" be good enough"

They said BP was sitting in the hot tub at Valley Ranch with Romo when he made the comment. However when Madden was telling the story and said you know what Parcells told him I thought the ansewer was "Was that the hot tub or did you just fart" :lmao:

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1667734 said:
They said BP was sitting in the hot tub at Valley Ranch with Romo when he made the comment. However when Madden was telling the story and said you know what Parcells told him I thought the ansewer was "Was that the hot tub or did you just fart" :lmao:

Yeah I left out the hot tub part... tried to save some the visual.... nice going Doom! :lmao:

WarC

Reaction score
I think if he stays healthy he has a tremendous ceiling, he has crazy instincts. Last night one of the announcing crew mentioned how he said he always sees Witten's body out there, no matter which side of the field he's scanning. Imagine that, the guy has to have superior peripheral vision. His pocket presence is very impressive too, he finds a way to wire out of things you'd just know Bledsoe, Testaverde, or (dare I say) Aikman would take a sack or throw away: and they're -perfectly thrown balls- more often than not.

He was an unknown for awhile, but not because he was a late boomer who hadn't shown the skill before...If you look back on his record at college and HS, he's always been noticed for his skill and won accolades for it.

It would take a disaster to sidetrack this guy's path to Canton.

Set in bronze, book it!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
YoMick;1667763 said:
Yeah I left out the hot tub part... tried to save some the visual.... nice going Doom! :lmao:

I just remembered that because I was laughing so hard as Madden asked what was said in the hot tub. :laugh2: BP did the same with Simms, BP never wanted Phil to be satisfied as a player and to strive to be better because once you stop trying to be better then you are settling for less than maybe you could achieve. I agree with BP that few people achieve the maximum level of their skill because they stop trying to get better.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I think Romo's ceiling will boil down to what kind of WR's he'll have to work with the rest of his career. Will there be any longterm stability at the WR position like Peyton has enjoyed, or are we going to have a new bunch of spare parts rotating in and out every year like Brady and McNabb have worked with. Peyton has had a very nice luxory of working with two first round draft picks WR's his entire career. The chemistry he has with Harrison after playing with him for 10 years is a thing of beauty. Will Tony ever get to have that longterm bond with a WR? He's got a great rapport with TO currently, but he'll have to work with a new generation of WR's for the majority of his late 29's-early 30 prime years. Who those guys are, and the quality they bring to the field, is yet to be determined.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Zimmy Lives;1667785 said:
If he's so good, why wasn't he drafted.

Heath Shular was a 1st rd pick if he was so good why did he fail? It is called the imperfect science for a reason. Because Romo was overlooked did not mean he did not have the talent to be great

onetrickpony

Reaction score
Aikbach;1665968 said:
I'll say this, although I never had the privilege to watch him while he played, dare I call Romo a little Staubachian.

Even the legendary Staubach didn't have Romo's ability to see the field while moving in the pocket. Roger could make people miss but then he would tuck the ball and head down field. That's why he wore the big shoulder pads instead of the normal QB pads of the day. That's also why he ended up with too many concusions.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
onetrickpony;1667817 said:
Even the legendary Staubach didn't have Romo's ability to see the field while moving in the pocket. Roger could make people miss but then he would tuck the ball and head down field. That's why he wore the big shoulder pads instead of the normal QB pads of the day. That's also why he ended up with too many concusions.

Roger had eyes in the back of his head as well. I saw games where guys were coming from the backside and right as they went to make the hit Roger would duck and the defender would fly right by him and then Roger would throw the ball. No doubt Roger would also run because Roger had a great ability to run which is a big reason he won the Heisman but Roger also had the ability to avoid the sack and make the big throw and that is what got him into the Hall Of Fame

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
For those of you who are too young to have seen Staubach play --

Staubach had a special mental tenacity about him. It is difficult to explain, but it was kind of like Michael Jordan's mental game. Staubach could put his team on his back and carry them to wins. Sometimes he seemed to win because of sheer will power. It was something special to watch.

Romo isn't a Staubach clone, but I was excited last night to see, if only for a portion of the second half, Romo put his team on his back.

I don't know what Romo will actually become, but right now Romo appears to have the potential to become one of those transcendent players - the kind who just knows how to win.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ZeroClub;1667898 said:
For those of you who are too young to have seen Staubach play --

Staubach had a special mental tenacity about him. It is difficult to explain, but it was kind of like Michael Jordan's mental game. Staubach could put his team on his back and carry them to wins. Sometimes he seemed to win because of sheer will power. It was something special to watch.

Romo isn't a Staubach clone, but I was excited last night to see, if only for a portion of the second half, Romo put his team on his back.

I don't know what Romo will actually become, but right now Romo appears to have the potential to become one of those transcendent players - the kind who just knows how to win.

I agree that Tony is not Roger I watched Roger from day 1 in Dallas but I do see certain abilities that Romo has that I saw in Roger and I saw in Montana and Favre. I'm not saying Tony career will be the same as their, better or worse than these QB's only certain abilities and intangibles that I see similarities. One main one is taking a play that looks like it is dead in the water and turning it into a big play as well as the feel these guys have for what is happening around them and a coolness to handle it.