How good is Klavon Chaisson

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I watched some tape on him. He seems to more of 3/4 linebacker then a defensive end. Good player but not elite. The plus size, he is 20 years old. So you never know because he is still growing.

Silverstar

Reaction score
I want Terrell Lewis, if he can stay healthy he will be better than Chase Young I think

I was thinking we grab Henderson and maybe Terrell Lewis or Julian Okwara in the 2nd.

One of them should still be there in the 2nd....it...can...happen. :)

baltcowboy

Reaction score
He won't make any kind of impact in year 1, he is more of a high upside developmental prospect. In my opinion, this type of player is taken after the first round. Round 1 is about immediate, impact starter, which he is not.
That’s not true. Hello Mahomes, hello Byron Jones, Hello Lamar Jackson, etc...... The draft is about player development. You want the player to get better every year. That’s why we should not give up on Hill so easily.

kevinhickey

Reaction score
Good question, I've admititaly have never seen him play, but his stats don't knock my socks off. What am I missing?
I have to be objective. The Tacco fail, scares me and others maybe feeling the same thing.
He didn’t have eye popping stats but I think he is only 20 years old that beat out competition on a national champion team. He has the physical skills to become a dominating DE. He could be a major steal at 17. Aldon Smith is just a temporary fix and Randy Gregory is nearing the end of his rookie contact. This draft is suppose to have a lot of CB depth. I could like this selection.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
That’s not true. Hello Mahomes, hello Byron Jones, Hello Lamar Jackson, etc...... The draft is about player development. You want the player to get better every year. That’s why we should not give up on Hill so easily.
Developmental prospects are usually taken after the 1st rd by this team. I expect a learning curve similar to DLaw, more of a year 2 type of impact.

Cwby41

Reaction score
Thanks for the updates. So reading everything here I personally think our best bet is BPA at this point. Our immediate need to me is CB. After that anyone else will mix in and be ready to go next year, DT, S, LB, WR. not in any order.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Well BPA is always the best policy.

We have no idea who will be there....and that's not even accounting for if Jerry decides to get cute and move up or down.

BPA with an eye on premium positions, namely CB and pass rusher fit that, but we can't deny a guy like Ruggs cause he would bring a whole new dimension to our offense.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
One thing I like about him is he's a very smart kid. That likely led to LSU asking him to drop into coverage often.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I agree with you. I see a 'tools player' lacking in playing time and experience. One who is just beginning to scratch the surface of his potential. Just like the aforementioned Daniel Hunter. He lacked polish as well and once he got to the league and received some quality coaching, he's now among the top pass rushers in the league.
You think tomusla can coach him up? I think so. BLUDGEON

Rayman70

Reaction score
I want Patrick Queen at 51. At 17..not sure about Chaisson. He's a tweener...really thin, but huge upside.It depends on the scheme he is put into and what will he be asked to do. He's boom or bust.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Terrell Lewis is the complete package off the edge. Pro ready...a Tony Tolbert type. I would love him.

Cwby41

Reaction score
I know corner is a more pressing need, but I would love to see one of those WR in our offense. Can't lie we would be really tough to defend. But I know we will be watching a track meet every week unles we get lucky rest of draft on defense and whoever else might get cut and we pick up.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You think tomusla can coach him up? I think so. BLUDGEON

Absolutely I do.

And look no further than Aldon Smith, the guy that we just signed, and how often he was rushing from that standup position. I would fully expect to see them doing that exact thing with Chaisson if we were to draft him.

This team will absolutely need to generate more pressure if they are to cover for a less than stellar secondary in transition this year.

streetcredit

Reaction score
Never watched him live, watching youtube clip, looks weird running with arms way out to side...

fivetwos

Reaction score
It’s funny that people say Chaisson is rawer than Henderson.

If you’re simply looking at stats on a screen you’re missing context.

Chaisson plays a complete game and trending up. He could serve as our version of Clay Matthews on our defense. This isn’t a guy that mindlessly speed rushes the QB for 30 snaps a game. He plays the run very well and shows a knack for getting off blocks. He’s also got an unquestionable motor and is a team leader/captain (for whatever that is worth).

Henderson has undeniable athleticism. However, he’s technique poor. Can that be taught/learned? Sure. But I would predict he has a much steeper learning curve than people realize. He also provides questionable effort as a defender. Read and watch this article with clips with Antonio Cromartie critiquing the top corners in this year’s draft.

https://www.cover1.net/2020-nfl-dra...luates-a-few-of-the-drafts-best-cb-prospects/
I don't want a guy that wont tackle.

Not only is it a poor effort, but do we really want personalities around that are thinking about a second contract from day one?

Theres enough me-first issues on this team.

The fantasy of "#1 corner" and "shutdown corner" is a strong one.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I don't want a guy that wont tackle.

Not only is it a poor effort, but do we really want personalities around that are thinking about a second contract from day one?

Theres enough me-first issues on this team.

The fantasy of "#1 corner" and "shutdown corner" is a strong one.

I mean I think he has the ability to be a very good corner. I just think there are some flags that raise some concerns. He will tackle but his effort is spotty.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I mean I think he has the ability to be a very good corner. I just think there are some flags that raise some concerns. He will tackle but his effort is spotty.
The likely reason is he knew an injury would hurt his draft stock.

In the pros it would hurt that second contract, plus he isn't going to change out of nowhere.

Lack of desire after getting a few dollars in their pocket is probably a big reason why so many players bust.

I'm not up for taking the chance. Not at 17.