How good is Zeke?

JDSmith

Reaction score
I think if we keep everything else the same but replace Joseph Randle with Zeke last year, and Weeden probably wouldn't have lost his job. There would have been no Matt Cassel, because we would have been winning enough with Weeden that the front office wouldn't panic. And I think Romo could have waited another week or two before coming back. Zeke makes the offense that much better. Those close losses last year would have been wins if we had him back there instead of Randle and later McFadden.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Were you thinking Dez?
Yes. There are still 10 games to play. Romo hadn't even started a game at this point in the season in which he made his first Pro Bowl appearance. Add in Beasley and Tyron to make 7.

If the offense maintains its current level of performance, that's not an exaggeration.

T-RO

Reaction score
Yes. There are still 10 games to play. Romo hadn't even started a game at this point in the season in which he made his first Pro Bowl appearance. Add in Beasley and Tyron to make 7.

If the offense maintains its current level of performance, that's not an exaggeration.

That's some serious homerism.

The notion that a guy can be productive for 2/3 of the season and be a pro-bowler is a huge stretch. And we've only seen one good (not great) game from Dez so far. It's just completely unfair to all the other fine receivers in the league to even put Dez's name in the consideration at this point.

Beasley is a favorite and he's a great slot receiver. But he's no all-pro. That you would include both Beasley and Dez gets flat silly.

Tyron is certainly capable of an all-pro year, but again he's not played at that level and seems to have health issues.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A complete back. Without the line we have, I very much doubt he'd be leading the league in yards but would still be very good. It's a perfect storm I hope to see for the next 8 seasons!

As opposed to the running backs who would lead the league in rushing with no offensive line.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How good is Zeke? He's the best skill position player the Cowboys have drafted since Emmitt Smith.

He's also probably the cutest.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Saw a play, in the 4th quarter, where he showed it all... He show speed to bounce it to outside right, then showed power to go through tackles and then downed himself and did not going out of bounds. They talk about how good of blitz pick up guy he is, and also, great receiver.. In short, he does it all..

So, best RB since Adrian Peterson? Actually, heard it reported a scout said that...
Maybe better than that. Only Eric Dickerson in his Rookie season got off to a better start.

Zeke has 703 yards. ED had 787. Zeke also became the only Rookie to rush for at least 130 yards in 4 consecutive games.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'd say Zekes talent level coming out of college is higher than Emmitts . Will that translate into as great of career. Probably not. Elliott's speed rivals more of a Dorsett than the power of Emmitt. Zeke has a package all of his own. No one but his production Id compare him to at this time. He has a style all his own.

USMarineVet

Reaction score
i would agree with this.
If Emmitt has anyone to worry about it catching his record, it might be Zeke. Zeke has the speed that Emmitt never did and he's running behind a similarly nasty Oline opening up holes. Emmitt (probably my all time favorite player) got caught from behind a lot. Zeke will never get caught from behind, those 40 yard runs Emmitt had will be 60 or 70 for Zeke and end in TDs. He's everything I thought he'd be for us....other teams should be terrified.
mark it down in 3 inch headlines, Prescott and Elliott will bring a Lombardi to Dallas......maybe several
great to see the birth of a new era...like watching Emmitt, Troy, and Irving coming of age early on.....
gonna be beautiful, get your popcorn and size your ring fingers

The only player I'll accept beating Emmitt's record is another Cowboy. :thumbup:

conner01

Reaction score
i would agree with this.
If Emmitt has anyone to worry about it catching his record, it might be Zeke. Zeke has the speed that Emmitt never did and he's running behind a similarly nasty Oline opening up holes. Emmitt (probably my all time favorite player) got caught from behind a lot. Zeke will never get caught from behind, those 40 yard runs Emmitt had will be 60 or 70 for Zeke and end in TDs. He's everything I thought he'd be for us....other teams should be terrified.
mark it down in 3 inch headlines, Prescott and Elliott will bring a Lombardi to Dallas......maybe several
great to see the birth of a new era...like watching Emmitt, Troy, and Irving coming of age early on.....
gonna be beautiful, get your popcorn and size your ring fingers
Lots of guys have had the talent but to beat emmitts record involves staying healthy for a long time.

RomoFor6

Reaction score
He's putting up Alfred Morris like numbers his rookie year so far...must be pretty good!

j/k

I do think there are a 10-12 players that would be leading the league right now if they traded places with Dak

But there is no denying that he is special.
Lmao there are 10-12 running backs better than Zeke? Please name them. It's between him and Leveon. DJ might get a shout. But 12 players really? Don't come here with that

jrumann59

Reaction score
Lots of guys have had the talent but to beat emmitts record involves staying healthy for a long time.
So true and also no nagging injuries to the lower body. Emmitt never had a bad knee or ankle injury.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Not sure, but I think it changes the entire complexion of the offense. I think the fakes don't work nearly as well and I don't think we are able to dictate to defenses. So every game would be entirely different IMO. I think every thing would tighten up considerably, and we'd be relying on Dak to bail us out in the end.
We dictate to the defense because our big guys are leaning on their team.

Also I think we beat the Giants with better defense and a RB who isn't playing too fast because it his first game.

In any case it's a stretch to put the 5-1 start soley on Zeke especially with him playing so poorly in our 1st two games and only loss.

Verdict

Reaction score
Gun to my head, I'd go:

1. LeVeon Bell
2. Zeke
3. Lesean McCoy
4. Todd Gurley
5. David Johnson
6. Demarco Murray
7. Lamar Miller
8. Eddie Lacy
9. Doug Martin
10. Mark Ingram

There is a huge drop off after #6 on your list.

windjc

Reaction score
So which game(s) do we lose? San Francisco is the only one I might concede.
Blocking MATTERS. There are pivotal play Dak was able to make because of a great block by Zeke. Morris would have failed there.

windjc

Reaction score
We dictate to the defense because our big guys are leaning on their team.

Also I think we beat the Giants with better defense and a RB who isn't playing too fast because it his first game.

In any case it's a stretch to put the 5-1 start soley on Zeke especially with him playing so poorly in our 1st two games and only loss.
He didnt say that.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That's some serious homerism.

The notion that a guy can be productive for 2/3 of the season and be a pro-bowler is a huge stretch. And we've only seen one good (not great) game from Dez so far. It's just completely unfair to all the other fine receivers in the league to even put Dez's name in the consideration at this point.

Beasley is a favorite and he's a great slot receiver. But he's no all-pro. That you would include both Beasley and Dez gets flat silly.

Tyron is certainly capable of an all-pro year, but again he's not played at that level and seems to have health issues.

Pro bowl and allpro are two completely different things. He said they would be probowlers

cowboys2233

Reaction score
When you consider his pass protection and how he maximizes plays, I don't we can truly appreciate how important Zeke has been to Dak's success.

Oh, I can. As great as Aikman and Irvin were, Emmitt was the key to everything. Given our depth at QB (which is a freakin' miracle in this league), Zeke is our most irreplaceable player. With him, SB berth is possible, even probable for this team. Without him, probably not. It was always the same with Emmitt. We don't win any of those SBs without him, not a one.