How good is Zeke?

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Saw a play, in the 4th quarter, where he showed it all... He show speed to bounce it to outside right, then showed power to go through tackles and then downed himself and did not going out of bounds. They talk about how good of blitz pick up guy he is, and also, great receiver.. In short, he does it all..

So, best RB since Adrian Peterson? Actually, heard it reported a scout said that...
I think Irvin summed it up on the fan earlier this week...

DFWJC

Reaction score
Ok, in our offense, behind our line, with the current workload, you don't think 10 of these guys could potentially lead the league in rushing.
Here's a bunch to choose from...you only need to pick 10...so you can leave 5 out.

Not saying they would do better than Zeke, not saying that at all....just saying there are probably 10 (or 12) in that list that could win the rushing title in this offense.

LeVeon bell
D Johnson
Lamar Miller
Demarco Murray
Todd Gurley
Matt Forte
Carlos Hyde
Devante Freeman
CJ Anderson
Melvin Gordon
Eddie Lacy
Frank Gore
Mark Ingram
maybe D Williams
maybe Blount

I mean, DMC is on pace to win the title last year and he's not as good as any of these guys.

I don't think that comment was the head slapper that you think it was.

No way to know for sure though.

Hardline

Reaction score
How good is Zeke?
Go ahead and reserve his spot in the HOF.

Plankton

Reaction score
So true and also no nagging injuries to the lower body. Emmitt never had a bad knee or ankle injury.

Emmitt Smith actually ran with multiple bone chips in his ankle in the 1996 and 1997 seasons. He hurt the ankle in a preseason game against the Broncos in 1996, and struggled for the better part of two seasons with the issue. He said that when he was operated on, the surgeon indicated that he in effect ran with a broken ankle for those years.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Zeke is only 21. His close to a 1750 yard year just this year alone. If he has many years like this - and the longevity of Emmitt, he just might.

Emmitt was a freak of nature not many backs had the longevity he did. Zeke would not only have to play a number of years but he would have to stay healthy because Emmitt didn't miss many games due to injury. He could play hurt and play well.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So we won because of Dak either this week because he had 2 fumbles and a pick. Let's trade Dak and play Romo because Dak is only adequate.
We won because Dak turned it over? Trade Dak? Dak only adequate? All due respect, but huh?

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Blocking MATTERS. There are pivotal play Dak was able to make because of a great block by Zeke. Morris would have failed there.
So you're saying we would have lost a game that we won by double digits because of the difference in blocking ability between Zeke and Morris? I mean, RB blocking is often underrated, but that seems like a stretch.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Exactly and that's very hard to go 10 years without a serious injury. Pretty amazing how durable emmitt was
Watch old footage of emmitt when he was going down especially in a pile his feet were off the ground most of the time, he would fall on a body below him and take weight off his knees and ankles.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Extremely well coached and trained. Almost like a prodigy for the position. Peterson was/is more of an explosive athlete, but doesn't have the technical aspects down like EE. And I think EE is running in almost a revolutionary way. I sorta look at him the same way I look at Peyton Manning at the QB position, except EE is a much better athlete with relation to the position he plays.

YR

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
There were some poor misguided fools before the draft calling him the next Trent Richardson.
I knew all along how special he was going to be. Doesn't suprise me one bit.
I was right there with you thinking the guy is special.

I mean - I've been wrong before about a prospect and I'm sure I'll be wrong again - but I had zero doubt that Elliott is an extremely good RB prospect who would play well right from the start. It seemed clear as day to me that he'd be lights out. Some guys I think are going to be really good but there is that element of, you just can't tell for sure. With EE though, I was as close to sure as you can get without reading the future.

Very few players strike me that way. Aaron Donald did, which is why I kept saying over and over that Dallas needed to move up for him (I'm sure I got on people's nerves with that). Just very close to a perfect prospect (for Marinelli's defense).

I was shocked that some people thought Elliott would be a bust. Although you never say never, I saw no way the guy wouldn't be good.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
We've seen special play from Zeke lately.

I was harsh the first few weeks but he started showing me what I needed to see lately. He can't be just good he has to be special and he is evolving into that.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
People talking about his running ability, I think it's great not special. He is not elite in the open field. No elite speed or cutting ability. He's merely very good in those areas. You put the blocking and hopefully catching when he gets more opportunities, that maybe pushes him into that elite class. Purely as a runner though, I don't think he's special. Just very very good.
Elliott has near elite size with near elite speed to go along with elite instincts and vision. Couple those things with a taste for contact and you have a pretty special player.

Jimmy Johnson said back in his Dallas years that people think nobody really minds the contact in the NFL... but there are a whole lot of guys who don't relish the physical side of the game. He said they can stand up to the punishment for the first part of the game but by the second half, they're starting to flinch away from it.

He went on to say that some people really do love the contact and that those were the guys he tried to get on his team.

Elliott clearly doesn't mind the contact at all. It flat-out wears down the defense. That ability to crash into the defense over and over, and still be doing it just as hard at the end of the game is a skill in and of itself. And Elliott is near elite at that too.